1 ... 5 6 7 8 9
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/20 6:37 p.m.

I don't think that is called GP in the track list. 

dean1484
2/25/20 6:37 p.m.

Well all that tuning is out the window. 

dean1484
2/25/20 9:40 p.m.

Ok got 1:27.81. Sauce I saw that you were something like a 1:27.71 or something like that. I should be able to do a bit better with a low fuel car but not much.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
2/26/20 12:54 p.m.

I'm likely not going to race tonight, but might drop in to commentate.  I have a pinched nerve in my neck that is rather painful, and not overdoing arm movements is the best idea for the moment.

That said, I did run a few laps yesterday just to see how it was and I really like this track in these cars.  My best was a 1:24.7, which was 0.4s behind the fastest AI, but I'm confident that with more practice and fixing some mistakes that 23's are on the table.  I also haven't tested how fuel load affects lap time here so that could also help drop time.

My track guide: (Cliff notes: T1, T2, and T6-T8 are the keys to a fast lap)

T1 - Tons of time to be gained or lost here depending on your entry speed.  You can clip the curb, just don't hit the sausage curb or you're going for a ride.  How much curb you take dictates how much throttle you can use.  If you hit it hard you want to be on the throttle but only maintenance levels to keep some weight on the rear, too much and you're going around.  If you just barely clip it the car won't be upset and you can be much closer to flat through there.  I only ran 6 or 7 flying laps and never managed to stay flat, but I tended to hit the curb fairly hard.  

T2 - There are 2 lines through here, the tight inside line and a wider line. The inside has a serious bump just after apex, whereas the wider line is smooth.  The inside line is faster, but if you get on throttle before the car takes a set you'll likely go around.  You have to be patient on the throttle and only go flat once the car is settled.  That said, you want to be on throttle as early as you can even if it's not flat as the next run is huge.

T4 - Hairpin, again be patient on throttle, it's easy to want to go flat early but the car doesn't hook up well from essentially a dig.

T5 - flat

T6 - This is a deceptively important corner as how you take this affects both 7 and 8, and there is a TON of time gained or lost in those turns.  So, for 6 late apex and stay left at the exit, the track keeps going left and it's instinct to straighten out early to line up T7, but the wider you can take the entry to 7 the straighter it becomes and you'll find that you can carry a ton of speed through.  

T7 - If you set yourself up wide enough at entry this is just a half lift to get the car pointed in the right direction and then flat again, and could potentially be taken flat all the way through with the right line and/or setup.  The exit is blind at entry but wider than it appears and fairly forgiving, just don't hit the apex curb too hard.

T8 - Another super fast corner that seems high risk/high reward but isn't as risky as it looks.  I was staying flat from T7 all the way through to the brake point for T9, but giving a brush of left foot brake on the approach to T8 to scrub some speed but not upset the balance.  The inside curb is super forgiving and you can just murder it, which eliminates the risky bit which is running wide at exit.  

T9 - fairly straightforward, be patient with the throttle as not to get loose on the cambered portion then hammer it until 12.

T12 - Drop to 3rd and try to carry as much speed as you can without hitting the outside curb, it's rough and will essentially pull you off track.  

T13 - Again fairly straightforward, the exit curb on the front straight is forgiving to feel free to fully track out.

dean1484
2/26/20 5:05 p.m.

Great write up. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/26/20 6:28 p.m.

I forgot today is Wednesday. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
2/27/20 8:15 a.m.

How'd the race go? 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/27/20 11:14 a.m.

I ended up getting home early because I changed my flight out of Detroit to avoid some snow, but was too tired to join last night.

dean1484
2/27/20 1:39 p.m.

AI was VERY fast.  We all finished at the back of thh pack. The timing of the race was a bit strange.  Not sure if brad got it wrong or what but the primary tires ended up not getting warm enough to race on.  Especially at the end of the race.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/28/20 11:19 a.m.

It was a bit of a crap race for me.  The AI was too fast and I went with blacks the whole race, which did slow me down, but the car was consistently loose.  I have VERY little wear on the tires at the fuel stops.  I ALMOST managed with one stop, but had to go in with one (?) lap to go.  That let Brad (with worn reds) run past me, but I quickly caught up to him on the last lap and with the help of pretending to be an AI car in a group of AI cars making their way past him, I got past him with a few corners to go, so that was interesting.

dean1484
3/1/20 7:43 p.m.

Anyone around tonight?  

dean1484
3/1/20 7:51 p.m.

Are we not going to run Sugo until the 17th?  

BradLTL
3/1/20 8:52 p.m.

Correct. I'm traveling for work this week. 

dean1484
3/1/20 9:23 p.m.

Ahhh cool tks Brad!!!!

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/2/20 1:19 p.m.

I like that we're skipping a week, I'm still trying to sort out the pinched nerve situation and that means I will probably be able to participate. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/2/20 5:50 p.m.

That works for me, I was going to have to skip Wednesday.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/5/20 4:27 p.m.

So am I the only one that thinks Sugo might be a bit small for these cars?  The laps are going to be probably be about a minute long and the only places wide enough for more than one car are the two straights and the T1/T2 area, everything else is single-file.  I also wouldn't be surprised if the curbs in the chicane get cars airborne.  

Anyways, I ran a bit last night and my shoulder felt fine so I'll probably be on tonight if anyone wants to join.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/5/20 5:02 p.m.
e30Matt said:

...everything else is single-file. ...

Ohhh.... so we are doing an F1 race?

cheeky

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/5/20 7:28 p.m.
aircooled said:
e30Matt said:

...everything else is single-file. ...

Ohhh.... so we are doing an F1 race?

cheeky

Kinda, but there's a rallycross jump to spice things up!

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
3/6/20 8:41 a.m.

After running some laps last night I recant my statements, these cars are actually a riot there. There is a huge risk vs reward element to it where you can carry stupid amounts of speed but you have to hit the line exactly. Clip a curb and you're going for a ride. 

The AI isn't particularly fast so it'll mostly be a case of who can keep it on the black stuff and maintain a decent pace. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/7/20 10:39 p.m.

Well, I got a call today from work and looks like I am out for the rest of the season. Looks like I'll be in MI starting next week until sometime in mid April.

BradLTL
3/8/20 8:51 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

That's disappointing, packing your wheel not an option?

dean1484
3/8/20 11:31 a.m.

Can you bring your setup with you?  

dean1484
3/8/20 11:31 a.m.

At least you can join in and commentate?  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/8/20 5:47 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I'm not going to pack my PS4 or my wheel. I've messed around a bit with the remote login (or whatever Sony calls it), but it seems that motel free WiFi is not really good enough to make it anything other than frustrating.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qbk3rJeWGrrlLLJ8N2Zbrl8GVewWdj6yAxQKp86JHxguM5MqFUtE1D5lOV3OqlNK