1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/21/19 11:46 a.m.

Dean, if you finish 3rd next week, we will be tied for the series lead. If you finish 1st or 2nd, you will have the lead.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/21/19 1:01 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

The game has a lot of other bugs so maybe it is just a glitch where they mess up the pitstop sometimes. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
11/21/19 2:36 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

To be fair, if Godzilla were to attack it would most likely be at Fuji so at least you were prepared. 

Of note for the newer people, for "change tires" DO NOT use "Recommended", it will only change your tires if they are sufficiently worn regardless of the weather conditions. Always select "All" or just fronts or rears if you're going that route. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/19 9:49 p.m.

I had no issues with tires and pitting. I only had two pit stops set up specifically for this race. Rain tires and damage repair ( my default) and repair only. I also have a splash and go left over from a while back just in case I cut the fuel to close by accident. I had basically got my car set the way I wanted two nights ago.  The last two nights were just practicing at the track and seeing of some minor tweaks would help (they did not). 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
11/22/19 9:06 a.m.

Brad, I assume the Oulton Park is the international layout? 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/22/19 10:58 a.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

Look at the times Brad posted on page 1 for Oulton Park - 1:37-1:39 per lap. That should narrow down which configuration, but Brad seems to pick the longest layout unless otherwise stated.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/22/19 4:04 p.m.

Mrs T.J. is working tonight, so I should be on. If I'm alone I'll be working on Mugello. If anyone else is on I don't mind learning Oulton Park even if I will miss the race.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/22/19 4:21 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

That is correct. 

Small layouts are for slow cars. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/22/19 10:42 p.m.

Oulton Park is a bit tricky. If you don't know this track, it may be one you'll want to practice a bit before the race, but since next Wed is an off night for Thanksgiving there is plenty of time.  I'm going to spend a little more time just so I can learn the track better and maybe try to find some setup tweaks.

This isn't a track with lots of passing opportunities because it is narrow. It will be interesting dealing with the AIs much less trying to pass a human. Seems like getting decent track position via qualifying and then getting off to a good start then not making mistakes would be a great strategy since it will be hard to overtake. Pit stop strategy and timing may play a big part in this one.

dean1484
11/25/19 6:21 a.m.

Probably should try and get some laps in tonight if anyone is around. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/25/19 10:12 a.m.

I won't be on tonight since I am out of town for work. Will be home tomorrow night though. I want to try out some differential settings changes based on what I am learning in my learn me thread.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
11/25/19 10:47 a.m.

I'll probably be on tonight. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/25/19 11:22 a.m.

I realized we are not going to be racing Wednesday so I wanted to throw it out if anyone is interested in a discount at HF (usable Dec 3-9) let me know. I suspect you guys might make good use of them.

It looks like I should have at least 3 or 4 available. The discount is %25 off of an entire purchase and NO items are excluded (includes air compressors, generators, giant tool boxes etc).  You can use it once, and it can be used online.  As I mentioned the other night, a number of more higher quality products are being produced (e.g. jacks and tools that are VERY similar to SnapOn stuff, spray guns, welding masks).  I will probably get at least an Icon (SnapOn copy) swivel head ratchet and a 3000 watt generator.  HF tool boxes generally get great reviews also (I bought one of the new ones recently).

All I need is an email to send the certificate to.  Let me know and message me your email.  I already have TJ and Brads emails, so just let me know if you can use one.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
11/25/19 7:43 p.m.

Well, I tried to get on tonight but with no luck.  I got kicked from every room I joined, including the one I created.  Not sure what's going on but it's quite frustrating.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/25/19 8:16 p.m.

T1 has a deceptively late apex. T4 can be taken flat if you get it right, but don't be too far to the right at exit or T5 hairpin will be tougher. First chicane T7-T9 seems like the right hander in the middle is the key to get a good exit from to get as much speed up the following hill. Coming out of here is a decent place to overtake AIs. Second chicane T10-T11 seems that you want to come out of T11 in the middle of the track to set up for T12. It is easy to be too far right and then you pay for it in T12. T15 is a double apex right hander. Hard for me to get this one right consistently so far. T16 may be the best overtaking opportunity, but is tricky because of the strange elevation changes.

That's my take from the limited laps I've done here so far. Narrow track with zero paved runoff areas, so staying on the pavement and not getting damage will be a key.

I need to work on my gearing for this track still and car setup as well as just working to be more consistent.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/25/19 8:18 p.m.

In reply to e30Matt :

Hopefully I'll be on tomorrow night and you will be able to not get kicked.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
11/25/19 8:46 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Honestly I don't think it's just me.  I was in a room with 6 people and 4 others were kicked just before I was, not sure if the host stayed connected or not.  Also, there are far fewer rooms up than normal.  The PS4 only shows 20 at a time, but it was only populating about 13 total any time I tried.

dean1484
11/27/19 6:53 p.m.

I will start the race but may have the AI take over as I buggered my wrist.  Short runs are fine we will see how the long run works out. 

dean1484
11/28/19 9:54 a.m.

Tested a lot more last night and I now have a fast setup and a safe setup. Those on team BMW can have either. For those that have not practiced this track you really need to. It is extremely unforgiving. There is a 95 percent chance that if you have on off you are going to hit something and it will not be a light hit. 

The BMW has an issue of getting loose on high speed turns and it quickly becomes a crash and usually it is a big crash.  My "safe" tune is far from crash proof but at least when it does get out of shape the snap back the other way you get when trying to save it is greatly reduced. Maybe the tune should be better described as much more savable. 

I strongly recommend that people practice for this race. Going in cold is going to be very frustrating. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/28/19 10:57 a.m.

I worked a little more trying some setup tweaks. I still am having trouble with T1. This may be mostly down to the driver, since I have a similar issue when I run Sauce's tune, but I seem to either turn in too late and miss the apex, or I brake too much and lose exit speed. I will keep messing with it to see if I can fix it through setup changes or maybe I'll just learn to drive that corner better.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
11/28/19 6:35 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

For T1 the best advice I can give is to turn in early, go in hot, but be patient. I carry a lot of entry speed, but am basically coasting from turn in to apex scrubbing speed and just trying to hit my marks. If done right I can get back to full throttle right near the apex or slightly before and will drift out to the exit curb.

I *think* it's off camber on the outside, so you don't have grip at turn in if you're trying to take the geometric line/apex. It's kinda like T3 (that we've been calling T2) in that the best line isn't actually what it would be in theory. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/19 10:05 p.m.

Aside, happy Thanksgiving. 

Aside #2, did you see that SMS has been acquired by CodeMasters?  Not sure how I feel about it. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/29/19 9:05 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Codemasters makes the F1 game right?

I wonder if that is the end of the Mad Box?

Unaside, tire wear is something to keep an eye on at Oulton Park, at least in the Megane. Did a 24 lap stint Practice race to test for tire wear and determine a safe race pace. 

As left front wears, T12, the right after 2nd chicane, is where it is most notable. I didn’t notice as much of an issue in T1 which surprised me a bit as I thought it would be the tricky part as wear increased. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/29/19 9:58 a.m.

If all goes well, I should be home in time Wednesday to watch part of the race. It should be a fun one. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/29/19 12:29 p.m.

FYI -  I had some extras, so I sent out discount coupons to Dean, Brad and TJ, check your email.  You need to use them next week (online or in store).

I will try to get a bit of practice in before the race.  I have run this track before and I do remember it being a bit tricky.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lQGQTqPdWO1ECZmM941FBB9PLK4lEqihgQJxwIdIzpVOvXoLAGO6ZiqCLHen8zpS