1 2 3 4 ... 6
BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/6/16 10:44 a.m.

I don't have near the problems you are experiencing. Didn't you also give GT6 a bad review and recently proclaim that you wouldn't be buying GT7?

Anyway, we'll see what happens when we race online. I'm planning on using the 1/13 for a test and tune kind of night. I'm not so much worried about car settings, just need to practice and experiment with hosting races.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/16 11:14 a.m.
BradLTL wrote: I don't have near the problems you are experiencing. Didn't you also give GT6 a bad review and recently proclaim that you wouldn't be buying GT7? Anyway, we'll see what happens when we race online. I'm planning on using the 1/13 for a test and tune kind of night. I'm not so much worried about car settings, just need to practice and experiment with hosting races.

The biggest issue is that I cannot save any setups and setups don't carry over from one session to the next. It's all back to zero every time. It's a huge problem.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/6/16 3:08 p.m.

We have had the discussion that Asetto Corsa is a better game all the way around but due to market and development approach Project Cars seems to be winning in sales, and that is all that matters.

BradLTL
1/6/16 3:12 p.m.
Argo1 wrote: The biggest issue is that I cannot save any setups and setups don't carry over from one session to the next. It's all back to zero every time. It's a huge problem.

Argo1
1/6/16 6:45 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL: Hardly an option. You have to spend the first 3 minutes of every session entering the setup. Then if you want to go back and make a small adjustment, everything resets and you have to enter EVERYTHING again. I don't know why you can save setups and I cannot since we are using the same system. Its enough to make the game almost unusable. Certainly more frustrating than fun.

BradLTL
1/6/16 8:15 p.m.

I've never had that problem. I'll test it tomorrow and send you the process that I use.

BradLTL
1/7/16 10:31 a.m.

I just retested. I have no issues with tuning setups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjMukBZyjUs

BradLTL
1/8/16 9:48 a.m.

Ok, tuning. I spent over an hour this morning testing and tuning. Yes, it saved. Yes, I wrote it on a notepad just in case. Tuning is a little awkward and confusing, but for everything I've tried it seems to work just fine. The way it works is that there is 1 tune, per car, per track. If you switch cars or tracks you are back at zero. UNLESS... you go into the My Garage section and setup a tune there. When you save that tune, you have the option to save those settings for All Tracks or a specific track (but I couldn't figure this one out). That tune will follow that car around as the new baseline for every track.

Now today, I setup my tune in a Free Practice session. I saved it and left the game completely. I came back in and opened a Solo (Race Weekend) event with the same car and track, and my tune was still there. I quit the game again. This time when I came back in, I created an Online event with the same car and track. And, yes, my tune was there again. I think the tuning is ok. People complain about it online, but the last time I see any complaining about a bug related to tuning was July.

Some things I learned during my tuning efforts today:

• Tune tires and brakes first. This will make a huge difference in the car's handling. Once you are relatively happy with that, then tweak other areas.
  • PCARS isn't like GT6, you can't really tweak multiple settings at once and get it right (unless they are completely un-related like gear ratio and tire pressures).
  • Hitting the left D-Pad control will bring up full telemetry. This is hugely helpful with tuning. You'll be able to see exactly how tires, brakes, and loading are impacting your handling in real time.
  • My cheapo wheel has a terrible deadspot that makes driving in a straight line hard sometimes. Rather than adjusting the wheel settings, use Caster(increase) on the car's suspension. That has a better effect driving.
  • Manage brake temp. Low brake temps cause worse stopping performance and less certainty on locking up the wheels. You'll save seconds a lap getting this right, or at least I did.
  • I hate cold tires.
  • I found that 4-5 lap runs where consistent enough to get tuning data to make adjustments. The first 2 laps are spent warming the car up, then 2-3 laps at speed to gauge performance.
  • I found that I am heavy on the brake pedal and had to reduce the pressure a good bit to get the level on control I need. Pressure does not affect performance of braking. Temp does.
  • My tuning priority: 1-Brake Temp, 2-Tire Temps/Pressure, 3-Gear Ratio, 4-Sway bars, 5-Brake bias, 6-Suspension Geometry, 7-everything else.
Argo1
1/8/16 10:32 a.m.

When you go to save a tune in my garage and select specific tracks do you see a red triangle with an exclamation point by every track? I do and it will not save.

BradLTL
1/8/16 2:48 p.m.

Do you mean this?

That triangle just indicates that there is an existing tune that will be replaced.

BradLTL
1/8/16 3:54 p.m.

There isn't some big confirmation that you get when you save. All that happens is in the very lower right hand side of the screen you get an saving icon:

Or you can see it in the video here:

https://youtu.be/qjMukBZyjUs?t=70

Argo1
1/10/16 7:05 p.m.

I take back the bad stuff I said about Project CARS. The setup saving issue was a system memory error with the PlayStation 4. Now fixed. All is well. Looking forward to getting to use P CARS now!

BradLTL
1/11/16 1:41 p.m.

Test n' tune this Wednesday. Actual season begins next week.

We'll test at Monza. Since this is the first race for this game, I think we (I) need to see how everything behaves in the environment that we'll be racing in the first week. Here's my test list:

• Managing the Room and Race
  • Making sure everyone can join / connect (Send me your PSN friend request: BradLTL)
  • AI Behavior
  • AI Pace relative to Humans
  • Car competitiveness
  • Restarts / managing sessions
  • Saving results and replays
  • Streaming

If you can't race with us, you can follow along. Several racers will likely stream the event. I'll put links to the streams on the OP.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/12/16 4:41 p.m.

PS4 has Project Cars download and a whole slew of freebies for 16 in the PS Store right now till the 19th

BradLTL
1/12/16 5:21 p.m.

$16 for the game is pretty damn solid.

BradLTL
1/13/16 6:36 p.m.

Hey Flight, we need to be PSN friends so I can invite you to the races. Can you send me a Friend request? My PSN is BradLTL

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/14/16 5:36 a.m.

Friend request sent, but it is saying I have to have PSN+ to play...

Argo1
1/14/16 7:44 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: Friend request sent, but it is saying I have to have PSN+ to play...

It's a small investment for many hours of enjoyment. The first test event at Monza went well.

BradLTL
1/14/16 8:24 a.m.

Here's the stream:

http://www.twitch.tv/bradltl/v/35329502

Skip to the 1:07:00 mark to watch the TV Replay

BradLTL
1/14/16 9:30 a.m.

Ok, here are my takeaways from last night:

• You have to plan your humans before adding bots. The game doesn't just fill any unused spots, you have to specify 5 humans and 10 bots.
  • The Ford RS is very fast in a straight line and off the start
  • The bots at 70% at Monza were basically a non-issue. Argo got P1 and I got P2 comfortably. I suspect when we move to tracks that are more complicated and technical that they become more of a challenge.
  • Getting the results is tough. They are displayed for about 15 seconds before being dumped back to the lobby. I need to research if there is a better way to capture the results.
  • The cars getting dirty through the race looks great on the replay, also clag.
  • Performance impacting damage seems reasonable... I ahhh... tested it... I hit the wall on lap 11 after being too aggressive in the Variante Ascari and catching the sand trap on the outside. I did damage to the front right of my car. It cost me a few mph and about 2-3 seconds in lap time, but it wasn't debilitating.
  • The sessions go fast. Practice being only 10 minutes was only time to get about 4 laps in before moving to qualifying. 2 of those laps are basically throw-away since you are on cold tires. I'm considering extending this period (and maybe shorten qualifying?). Make the sessions so that you get 2-3 runs to tweak final settings in practice, then only get 1 real shot at setting a time in qualifying. Thinking 25 minute practice, 10 minute qualifying. Any thoughts?
BradLTL
1/14/16 10:36 a.m.

Sunny day in Italy

The Ford is fast

Good gap into the first chicane

Driving hard to keep up

Testing the inside barrier

I caught up, but can I pass?

No, no I cannot.

Big curb

Nice dirt on the car

Not a great line out of the corner

Price paid for being over aggressive

Argo1
1/14/16 9:52 p.m.

I was glitching all over the place. Time to change internet providers.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/15/16 7:58 p.m.
Argo1 wrote:
Flight Service wrote: Friend request sent, but it is saying I have to have PSN+ to play...
It's a small investment for many hours of enjoyment. The first test event at Monza went well.

The small investment was the game, this is going to be an ongoing subscription. Which is berkeleying bullE36 M3. If I wanted that I would be doing iRacing.

I am not pleased with this, I am not sure I will race next week. I will let you know.

BradLTL
1/15/16 8:02 p.m.

I think you can race. I just don't think you can create an event. Let me know when you get the game and we can test before you spend any money.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/17/16 7:09 a.m.

Got the game now...

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
INGtZzvnldExEMXZj9zbglqP3VcN9lmpalKSL7TwmhAFTBAa0jgtm8MMSScbJgFm