failboat
failboat UberDork
11/2/15 11:57 a.m.

Ive never played GT5 but I have the PS3 so I ordered a copy of GT5 XL edition a few days ago. I enjoy the single player career structure of GT games enough that this will keep me entertained a while.

So with online shut down anyways, why not play around with some hybrids as well. Anyone else played with these before?

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
11/2/15 5:00 p.m.

After a month or so, get Gran Turismo 6 so you can play with us on Wed. and Sun. nights.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
11/2/15 5:30 p.m.

I ran hybrids relatively often in FM4

failboat
failboat UberDork
11/2/15 5:53 p.m.

Haha. Ive had GT6 since launch and did get at least 1 season in with GRM. My schedule currently doesnt cooperate with the GRM racing league lately unfortunately but can find random times to play solo for a couple hours here and there.

I figure I'd enjoy trying GT5 just as much as breaking out any other old game in my collection.

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock UltimaDork
11/2/15 5:55 p.m.

I haven't touched my copy of gt5 since gt6 came out.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
11/4/15 10:57 a.m.

I did the same thing: I got GT5 XL Edition right after the servers went down. I found it underwhelming compared to the Forza games, and I found GT6 in a clearance pile at Walmart for $15, so I picked it up. It's the best GT game since GT2 in my book, and it rivals the Forza games.

Come to think of it, I really need to play with you guys sometime.

failboat
failboat UberDork
11/4/15 11:57 a.m.

Every once in a while I break out the old PS2 and play some GT4 or Kaido Battle. I still play games old and new for different reasons and still can appreciate something that by todays standards is outdated or even flawed. GT4 definitely had its issues but there was a lot I liked about it. And you are right, GT6 is fantastic. GT5 so far is the only GT series game I have never played so why not? And why not mod the game some and have some interesting engine and drivetrain swaps. If they're going to remove the Pulsar GTI-R from the game then I'll just have to build something similar. Fond memories of GT2 with that car fully built with racing modification, just dominiating other cars. David and Goliath like.

I should be getting my copy of GT5 XL in the mail today.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/4/15 11:59 a.m.

Pardon the threadjack... "online shut down", "servers went down"... ?

I haven't fired up the PS3 in a while. Is GT5 offline only now with Sony only supporting GT6? Not that I ever did any online racing anyhow...

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/4/15 12:08 p.m.

Yes, I believe the GT5 servers where shutdown earlier this year.

It makes you wonder how long they will keep up the GT6 servers when GT7 (sport) comes out. Probably a bit longer since they are on different platforms.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
11/4/15 12:25 p.m.

I play 5 and 6. Ive finished 100% of the career mode races on 2,3,4 while i was in highschool so naturally i want to do the same to 5 and 6. No hybrids but i do goof around with weird cars in all the games. The seasonal events in gt6 are amusing enough i usually build a new car for each.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
11/4/15 12:35 p.m.

In reply to failboat:

I totally understand! I fire up GT4 every once in a while myself. I loved recording the drag racing mode with the 3 wheel Mercedes thing and messing around for like 3 minutes as it struggled to complete the 1/4 mile.

failboat
failboat UberDork
11/5/15 1:53 a.m.

I'm just scratching the surface of the hybrid editor but I like the possibility of some realistic swaps.

I have a civic sir with the Acura 3.2l v6 and mugen civic race suspension swapped in for now. It's sort of dominating the beginner races but it should be fun to build up to beat up on other cars. I used an Audi a3 chassis to widen the track,but its too heavy. Need to do some research to adjust the weight to a realistic number.

Next I'm gonna take a vitz and swap in the Pontiac vibe gt engine.

The editor just runs on your PC and all you need is a USB to transfer your saves back and forth to modify. You do need to make sure your game is only up to update 2.11 though.

failboat
failboat UberDork
11/7/15 4:38 a.m.

I deleted my game save and started over using a normal amount of credits, not 200 million. I'd prefer to grind the career mode some and earn some of the things I play with.

So, wanting a Pulsar GTI-R but not having one available....Day 1 what do I find in the used car dealership. A Nissan EXA Canopy. Or Nissan Pulsar NX as it was called in the US. Well this ugly son of a bitch would be hilarious to hop up like a GTI-R. The Mazda BP Falken chassis swap bumped the weight up to 10kg more than a GTI-R, and provided a wider track filling out the fenders. Also provided 50/50 weight distribution, which is not true to a real GTI-R but good because racecar. With hybrding you have to use the same aspiration engine or will lose the engine sounds in game. So an SR20DE motor was needed. The older ones didnt provide enough power to get to 227hp with minimal mods but the late model S15 engine did. The rest was just sort of cobbled together to provide 4WD and I used differentials from a subaru race car to provide full adjustability.

"Nissan Pulsar NXI-R"

Mugen Civic Race Car Suspension
Mazda BP Falken Chassis
Nissan Silvia Varietta Motor (SR20DE)
-Engine Computer
-Stage 1 Engine
-Mid Range Turbo
94 Subaru STI Drivetrain/Gearbox
Subaru Impreza WRC 2008 Differential

227hp/211tq
1230kg
443pp