1 2 3
BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/26/13 4:29 p.m.

(Since we have a new forum and all, I thought I would bust out this conversation)

Soon the GRM GT5 Series will be wrapping up, and I'm assuming we'll move onto GT6. Let's debate what the first series should be:

• Euro Trash (need some specifics from Chimp on this)
  • Classic Muscle cars: stock was suggested, I would recommend a 500PP limit with no power limiter so that we don't have cars capped out on top speed with only 4 gears.
  • GT300/500: There are plenty of them in "base" mode, and online lobbies can automatically filter this series
  • MX5 Cup: Same as from Series 2. Was very competitive, and for some reason you people like Miatas
  • Shifter Karts
  • Ferrari 288 GTO Challenge: Spec series based on a beautiful car
  • Classic LeMans Team Racing: 1 prototype + 1 GT from a Marque = 2 driver teams
  • Bunch a Bandits: Trans Am Series
  • Original GRM Series: Cars from the 80s-90s, less than 350hp, min weight 1000kg (this is an interpretation of the a couple suggestions below)
  • VW Lupo Cup

I'll add others as they are suggested.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
12/26/13 4:36 p.m.

What kind of specifics? Want me to run some tests?

Also I found the Ferrari 288 gto to be hella fun in stock form, might be worth a spec series.

Some of the muscle cars ran similar times stock in my testing, but most would top out in speed with the factory gearbox on any long-ish straight, so a pp limit might be better like you say.

BradLTL
12/26/13 4:40 p.m.

Yea... I'm game for Euro Trash... just what qualifies as trash?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/26/13 5:09 p.m.

Damn it. I keep clicking these PS3 threads looking for these:

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
12/26/13 5:15 p.m.

How about europas? Those are fun, or a stratos series for Tarmac and dirt? We could call it the overly excessive oversteer extravaganza.

beans
beans HalfDork
12/26/13 7:10 p.m.

I like the idea of a spec series or time attack with a PP/tire cap, no other restrictions; screen shot to validate time.

Unfortunately, the biggest downside to the GT series is it doesn't uprate your PP(hehehe uprate your PP) with some upgrades as Forza does. Not only that, some laps won't be invalidated for going off course(such as Forza) for a time trial esque challenge. In that sense, I like Forza better, but that's besides the point.

I'd rather have a spec S2000 series than MX5. They're way more fun and speedy.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
12/26/13 8:11 p.m.

Alternative to the miatas....vw lupo cup cars? Actually I think there's several other (faster) race cars that could be used for a spec series and are paintable.

Some sort of touring car series using large sedans? Large wing mandatory.

70s/80s FR?

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
12/26/13 11:46 p.m.

Argo had that suggestion using two classes of classic race cars that sounded pretty interesting.

I was thinking an all TransAm race, everyone in a different color. Comp gets black and gold of course.

Another TransAm thought was one black and gold TransAm and the rest are gold Novas trying to keep him from finishing a lap.... do it at cape ring, the one with the jump...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/26/13 11:52 p.m.

I just kicked the living E36 M3 out of a room full of children in 1000hp jap turbos with a 73 2002tii and a couple tasteful upgrades. And an inappropriate amount of liquor. video games are way better than real life.

what was this thread about again?

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
12/26/13 11:57 p.m.

That's a good point, they don't all have to be races, there can be other types of events. I like the chase someone down kind of things, how about one guy in an orange charger and some other guys in other old cars chasing on dirt? kinda like a duke's of hazzard thing? There are even jumps on those dirt tracks, multiple jumps! Why not some goof-ball races, like going in reverse?

Or how about a price-cap challenge- Rwd, 1990 or earlier, max budget $50k (not including tires, but limited to sports hards/rally/rain tires) for a rally/snow/tarmac/rain/drift super challenge? Use some testing to figure out a PP cap, too, if it turns out it's needed. Must keep the same upgrades for all races, so if you choose the rally suspension, you need to run it in the tarmac and drift events, too, etc... If you choose the adjustable one (WAYY more expensive, eating into the price cap) you can adjust to perfection. Wheels/paint don't count toward budget since they don't do anything to performance in this game, but whacky colors encouraged. Must post car/upgrade list and budget for review. Oil change doens't count toward budget, either, since you'll have to do it sooner or later.

Again, you don't hav eto listen to my suggestions if someone else is really pushing something else since I likely won't be on for a lot of them.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
12/27/13 8:34 a.m.

Shifters are a really fun arrive and drive. There isnt much to adjust on them aside from gear ratios. They are quite controllable as long as the track isnt too bumpy, but we can test tracks for that. (Grand Valley great, Trial Mtn bad)

When I say controllable, I was able to control a steady drift around some of the longer turns at Grand Valley on a controller, in a shifter kart...

With how small they are you have a ton of space and line option, which should make for good racing.

an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOm8-t5iu3s

BradLTL
12/27/13 8:57 a.m.
Rufledt wrote: How about europas? Those are fun, or a stratos series for Tarmac and dirt? We could call it the overly excessive oversteer extravaganza.

We did a SBC (Small Bore Cup) in series 2... The europa was the hot car and Air ran away with it.... but it was basically a Euro Trash series if I recall correctly.

The Stratos is very hard to drive (at least in stock trim). I would suspect that would make for a lousy series as we would all be off in different corners and small contact would pretty much ruin someone's race.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
12/27/13 9:47 a.m.

The first (?) series we did was Hot Hatches... I think that'd be amazing. I'd be down again.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
12/27/13 10:05 a.m.

The general plan is to run a series of Test Nights after the current GT5 series is over (Jan 8). We normally run two races a night, so it should not be an issue to test at least two.

No need to lock into a full series until we have something that looks to be fun.

I do like the budget race idea. It would clearly require a lot of trust in not cheating. The bookkeeping might be a pain in building a car (you would have to keep a tally) but the results might be interesting.

One of the other fun "goof around" things we have done was Team Rubberband Racing. Two teams, first team to finish wins, no rules. Start race, turn around, run a lap in reverse, drive into pits in reverse, finish race in normal direction (I should probably test to see if it shots you back out if you enter the pits in reverse in GT6)

Oh, and there is the Veyron pushing Kubleswagen around Sarthe race...

BradLTL
12/27/13 10:57 a.m.

Here is the history of the Series:

Series 1:

• GRM (123 Cars) Primarily consisting of cars from the 80s and 90s, this class is restricted to a maximum HP rating of 350, and a minimum weight of 1000kg. All cars in this class will run on Sport tires.
  • Classic Motorsports (42 Cars) The Classic Motorsports class is for the cars of yesteryear, all cars are older than 1974 and will vary widely in weight and HP. All cars in this class with use Comfort tires

Series 2:

• MX5 Cup
  • Small Bore Cup

Series 3:

• Corvette Z06 Race Mods
  • Hot Hatches

Series 4 (Nascar Tribute):

• GT Cars 552hp / 1200kg
  • Saloon Cars 650hp / 1400kg

Series 5:

• Touring Car
  • Shuffle Races

Series 6:

• Rear Engine
  • Rally Series

Series 7:

• Convertibles
  • Motel Spec Civic

Series 8:

• World Track / Street Cars
  • LeMans GT

Series 9:

• Trans Am U-2 (Under 2 litre)
  • Spec Z28

Series 10:

• Ice Racing Sprints / Gymkhania
  • Showroom Stock

Series 11:

• Showroom Stock Spec
  • Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft (DTM)
failboat
failboat SuperDork
12/27/13 11:06 a.m.

I like the sound of a lot of those. I guess I need to go dig through the old thread from the beginning and maybe start building a couple cars on GT6.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
12/27/13 11:28 a.m.

Added links below to all the series I could find. I wanted to look them up figured it would be useful to some others.

Series 1:

• GRM (123 Cars) Primarily consisting of cars from the 80s and 90s, this class is restricted to a maximum HP rating of 350, and a minimum weight of 1000kg. All cars in this class will run on Sport tires.
  • Classic Motorsports (42 Cars) The Classic Motorsports class is for the cars of yesteryear, all cars are older than 1974 and will vary widely in weight and HP. All cars in this class with use Comfort tires

Series 2: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/grm-gran-turismo-5-racing-league-series-2-begins-3/31877/page1/
- MX5 Cup - Small Bore Cup

Series 3: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/grm-gran-turismo-5-racing-league-series-3/34888/page1/
- Corvette Z06 Race Mods - Hot Hatches

Series 4 (Nascar Tribute): http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/grm-gran-turismo-5-racing-league-series-4/37762/page1/
- GT Cars 552hp / 1200kg - Saloon Cars 650hp / 1400kg

Series 5: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/grm-gran-turismo-5-racing-league-series-5/42296/page1/
- Touring Car - Shuffle Races

Series 6: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/gran-turismo-5-racing-league-series-6/45143/page1/
- Rear Engine - Rally Series

Series 7: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/grm-gran-turismo-5-racing-league-series-7/49396/page1/
- Convertibles - Motel Spec Civic

Series 8: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/grm-gran-turismo-5-racing-league-series-8/52763/page1/
- World Track / Street Cars - LeMans GT

Series 9: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/grm-gran-turismo-5-racing-league-series-9/55703/page1/
- Trans Am U-2 (Under 2 litre) - Spec Z28

Series 10: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/grm-gran-turismo-5-racing-league-series-10/59779/page1/
- Ice Racing Sprints / Gymkhania - Showroom Stock

Series 11: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/grm-gran-turismo-5-racing-league-series-11/63550/page1/
- Showroom Stock Spec - Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft (DTM)

Series 12: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/grm-gran-turismo-5-racing-league-series-12/67483/page1/
- Coffee Cars - GT300

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/27/13 9:49 p.m.

I'd like to suggest that the first GT6 series be budget and license-friendly. Some of us don't have every night to level or grind gold. Maybe even one of the early reward cars would be good for series 1?

jg

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/27/13 11:03 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: I'd like to suggest that the first GT6 series be budget and license-friendly. Some of us don't have every night to level or grind gold. Maybe even one of the early reward cars would be good for series 1? jg

Some of our best series have been low buck cars. The recent Coffee Car series was great.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
12/28/13 12:55 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: I'd like to suggest that the first GT6 series be budget and license-friendly. Some of us don't have every night to level or grind gold. Maybe even one of the early reward cars would be good for series 1? jg

Agreed, but there are no more levels. If you have the cash, you can buy and use the car. A forthcoming online event in January can get you 12 million with the login bonus, FYI, so money won't be too tight by the time the races start

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
12/28/13 1:09 a.m.

In reply to failboat:

Thank you for posting all the links.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
12/28/13 6:09 a.m.

You do need to grind to get your A (?) License before online mode is unlocked. Once you can access seasonal events, get gold on those and you will be pretty much set for money.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
12/28/13 6:27 a.m.

I'm down with anything for the first series. I like all the suggestions so far

BradLTL
12/28/13 8:34 a.m.

I think old school muscle cars and a small bore cup / euro trash series would be a great kick off!

Both are affordable, and the two series would be completely different styles.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
12/28/13 12:14 p.m.

I probably won't have time to run a full series, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt. If I were, however, an unmodified Boss 302 series would be both a hoot and relatively affordable.

Any chance of a semi-organized, "off night", drop in series of pre-announced "single race" events? I'd certainly try to make a few of those, just to see how far behind I really am!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tj2wp2FArIXrJPdqyJuIL4tzGoqm1OHZzZhcwZDOhEsHSzeRfg83bh74oVyRFwHr