e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
2/21/15 9:24 p.m.

As mentioned in another thread I've considered trying to start up a time trial type series for those who can't participate in either of the regular racing series we have, or those who just want another challenge. My thought is to choose a car and a track, either PP level or stock, and have maybe 2 weeks for people to submit their times. Probably done in arcade mode with screenshots of the times, and posts of the splits to try to make up for the lack of ghosts.

This thread is to gauge interest in this series, and weigh any suggestions as to how it is run. Being a new series there will be some things to figure out, but I hope that we can come up with something that works for all.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
2/21/15 10:41 p.m.

I'm game

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
2/21/15 11:51 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

Of course you are... Thanks for scaring everyone else off

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
2/22/15 12:03 a.m.

I'm to the point that I don't even turn the game on until five minutes before race time. The boy has taken the system over to play Minecraft so I'm probably out.

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
2/22/15 7:32 a.m.

In reply to e30Matt:

I think I could find time for something like that. I try to get online almost everyday for a few laps of something so I don't get too rusty.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/22/15 8:03 a.m.

I'm game. My times will be about as flaky as my participation.

Are we using the community thing or just posting to the forum?

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
2/22/15 9:42 a.m.

Sounds awesome! I'm a little out of practice since I haven't been available for the league races.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
2/22/15 10:23 a.m.

Would this be an avenue to talk smack about current seasonals too? If so, you fellas got some work to do!

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
2/22/15 3:21 p.m.

Ok guys, it looks like there is a demand for this so now we need to figure out the logistics.

JJ, there isn't really a way to police the series for car compliance, but the honor system should be fine. Since there isn't anything on the line three isn't any real incentive to cheat. I like the IT idea, and as things progress I'm sure we'll start using some tuned cars, but would like to at least start with unmodified cars. There can be a wide gap between cars and tunes, and don't want to get into all that too early.

How I see the series running is this: - Choose a track - Choose a car - all stock with oil change. Tires likely stock, but may be changed depending on the car (i.e. a car that comes on comfort tires may be bumped up to sports hard). - Everyone has two weeks to post their best time, done with a screenshot of their top time. Leader board will be in the first or second post in the thread.

Thoughts?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
2/22/15 3:25 p.m.

In reply to e30Matt:

Sounds good. Using stock cars keeps things simple.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/15 5:03 p.m.

I might even be able to do this. I can't seem to make races.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
2/22/15 10:03 p.m.
jj wrote: I vote to start with a momentum car.

Good call. I like that idea.

mrmudd583
mrmudd583 New Reader
2/22/15 11:22 p.m.

Count me in

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
2/23/15 8:23 a.m.

I am interested, how do you host a time trial event? would it be a certain day and time?

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
2/23/15 8:47 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469:

This is going to be an offline thing and allow people to run when they can. A tentative breakdown of the series is a couple posts up.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
2/23/15 1:16 p.m.

I'd like to do this.

It's hard to set aside the time to do the racing series, but having some friendly competition would be really nice.

Of course, I have to wait for the brass encoder I ordered to fix my g27 to come. Didn't realize how long it took to ship things from Thailand.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
2/23/15 1:20 p.m.

I'm absolutely down for this (we did something like this with the autocross thread, only on the GT arena track)...

I think we should pick a spec car and spec tire and a track (or two?) per week, and let the entries come in for two weeks (post on a monday, let run 14 days ending on monday at the same time a new challenge is posted, renewing every week)

Car mods is honor system as it's largely unverifiable, but maybe a screenshot with your phone or something of the time would be encouraged?

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
2/23/15 1:51 p.m.
BradLTL said: I'm game. My times will be about as flaky as my participation. Are we using the community thing or just posting to the forum?

I thought the point was to try and use the Community thing as that would POLICE the PP and tire stuff. My best guess is that it was just for this type of thing. But then I didn't play around with it much.

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
2/23/15 2:02 p.m.

Ok guys, it looks like this is a go. I'm going to try playing with the Community section to see if there is a way to run this through there, but if it isn't possible or too convoluted then we'll go ahead with the offline version of the series. I'll try to get a thread up tonight with full details, rules, etc. and get this kicked off!

e30Matt
e30Matt HalfDork
2/23/15 9:14 p.m.

I tried the club thing and couldn't make it work. Long story short, when you set up a time trial event it's for a specific time rather than a range, so if you set the event up to be open for 2 weeks the event doesn't actually start until the end of the time period. When you sign up it just registers you for the event and doesn't take you to the track. I may keep playing with it and see if I can come up with something that works, but I don't think it would be possible to have people on track individually.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
2/24/15 1:10 p.m.

I would be more likely to make time for this than the races. Lately no matter how much I think I will join in the races again by the time 8PM rolls around I almost never feel like firing up the PS3. I think I get up too early for work, by that time of night I am trying to not fall asleep on the couch.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
myoqoRJNMpJBYASOttqm0Q1UKJn2p7wHNWhRgIJzU1RALTZkzjB4dHuwgpMJEwWR