RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/29/21 1:58 p.m.

Coming this November, everyone's favorite arcade racer behind wreckfest, forza horizon 5, this time in Mexico.

Regional weather, including dust storms that you can drive to and from. 

During a live stream, Playground Games discussed the new weather systems you'll encounter across Forza Horizon 5's "largest, most diverse open world ever." Don Arceta, art director on Forza Horizon 5, revealed that the game's weather is both regional and seasonal, "If you're in the desert, you could get just a sprinkling of rain, and then if you go down in the jungle, it could be a torrential downpour. We have all these different weather behaviours in the different biomes, which really reflects and enhances the experience that you have in those biomes."

You'll also come across "towering dust storms and tropical storms" while speeding across Playground's representation of Mexico, thanks to two new seasonal weather effects. These storms "don't just happen around you," Arceta says. "You actually can see it from a distance and approach it, which is something we've never done in a Horizon game."

Answering a few questions at the end of the stream, Playground revealed a few more titbits about Forza Horizon 5, confirming that Barn Finds will return and that they are "probably the most detailed and location-specific Barn Finds" in any Forza Horizon game, there is a long highway that stretches from "corner-to-corner" of the map, and that "big-horned sheep" will also feature.

Forza Horizon 5 launches for Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows 10 on November 9th

Going out on a limb to guess, but probably even more eliminator/battle royale bullE36 M3 and wheelspin games, with more of the same weekly "series".

Game pass on day one, Xbox series X/s optimized.

I'll get it because game pass will keep it under $100 like it did with 4. 

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
6/29/21 5:00 p.m.

Looks like it will be pretty cool. Someone talked me into FH$ and went nuts with that and been playing the crap out of it for the past couple of months right now over anything else.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
7/10/21 11:23 p.m.

Kinda peeved they skipped motorsport to go back to the arcade crap.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/17/21 4:12 p.m.
AClockworkGarage said:

Kinda peeved they skipped motorsport to go back to the arcade crap.

I get the sense that going forward, fmx will be more a seasonal pervasive universe as opposed to separate games. The money is all on incremental downloads these days. Look at forkknife. Free to play, and they're backing up dumpsters full of money with every content drop. A lot of big players are going that way, especially the online universes. I suspect that's what's taking the additional development time. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/21/21 10:49 p.m.

Horizon 4 was the first current AAA game I've bought in years, and it was friggin awesome. I didn't really fall off on interest until a few months ago. I'm definitely in for $100, though I'm not sure how I'd like to buy it right now. I have a pre-order in for the Steam Deck, and I think the Steam version would be most likely to run there, but I'm not above an Xbox Series X for the 4k set in my living room to get the most out, and that means buying from literally anywhere else. Best Buy had a gift card offer for preorders. It doesn't look like they're doing the exclusive pre-order car thing this time around. 

Very excited though. 5 looks beautiful. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/21/21 10:52 p.m.
Mndsm said:
The money is all on incremental downloads these days. Look at forkknife. Free to play, and they're backing up dumpsters full of money with every content drop. 

Still don't get this at all.  None of the content you can purchase changes gameplay at all.  Incremental changes keep people engaged, but do nothing to encourage spending.

For a motorsports game, charging by the track/car/package makes perfect sense, and allows for longer usage of a given base game/engine.  I have no issues with it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/22/21 11:21 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Everyone has a shiny object they obsess over. Could be. Charm bracelet, could be baseball cards. For this generation, it's what skins you have in a game they all play. 

RevRico
9/8/21 5:37 p.m.

Currently confirmed car list

Majority of the same stuff from every Forza game, really. A hundred civics and rabbits, formula drift, big money  super cars, usual fodder.

Notable exceptions are a lack of Mazda and Volvo so far, the inclusion of the 21 Bronco, biggest news of all though is probably the F450 dually. 

No Canyonero is upsetting. No peel listed yet either.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
9/9/21 3:44 p.m.

There will be lots of car list updates before the game drops and then there will lots of updates for car lists after the game drops also.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
11/8/21 5:10 p.m.

Well, I played it this weekend. It's pretty fun. Not a huge difference between this and 4 though.

Haven't tried the track creator yet but It looks promising.

RevRico
11/19/21 12:59 p.m.

So I'm going to start this out with

I have a Series X, I have a 4k HDR10 TV, and I have the proper HDMI2.2 cables hooking them together. I'm playing in 4k 30FPS mode. 

This is horizon 4 with cacti and a speaking role for your avatar.

I've been getting shouted down and dragged on other forums for mentioning that THE SERVERS ARE berkeleyED EVEN AFTER THE HOT FIX, textures come and go during danger signs and some races, collision detection is even more random than it was in the past, and the video sequences when your avatar is talking to story or horizon personnel look like something a first or second year art student would make. 

It feels like a step laterally at best, but mostly backward, from FH4 and even FH3. 

Playground games isn't new to this stuff, but it feels like they are more often than not. 

The showcase events are pretty cool, there's some GREAT new drift zones. Trailblazer things can go die in a fire. Some are easy, some require a bit of work, but there's a few that feel like they're actively fighting you completing them. There are a LOT more stories, again some are great and some are just horrible. 

There are new transmission and differential options this year in the customization, but that's about the only change. Not even sure the differential options actually do anything. 

I'm glad it's included with game pass, I'd be pissed if I paid full price for it. I might buy the expansions, if they ever fix the servers and people come back to play. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/19/21 1:23 p.m.

I played this for a bit, because I bought the $1 game pass.

I played at 1080 on an UW and could maintain >72fps, but I did have to turn on texture scaling.... which the game does not do a great job with, at least compared to some other AAA engines (*cough* IDTech7 *cough*)

Anyway, I played around for about 4 hours total, then deleted it.  I think its just not my type of game.  To met it was really tedious and boring.  The cutscenes make me want to commit murder.  I didn't try any multiplayer stuff, and to be honest I was confused at how that all works.  There is tons of content that feels like its there for the sake of having content, not actually improving the game.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/25/21 11:05 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I played this for a bit, because I bought the $1 game pass...

...There is tons of content that feels like its there for the sake of having content, not actually improving the game.

Same here.  Open world is always cool and the cars look and sound bit better but...  The actual racing (you know, the main point of a racing game) just isn't really any more engaging.  Also, I'm pretty sure drivatar AI may have ruined Forza games for me.

Turned it off and got out the PS2.  Currently having more fun playing Gran Turismo 3.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/10/22 8:32 p.m.

we have Chinese minivans with widebody kits now. Life is good. 

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
3/9/22 2:49 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

The performance of the Chinese cars reminds me of the Russian bias in War Thunder lol

I spend a lot of time chasing you on the Rivals leaderboards!

Still a fun game to me though

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/10/22 7:07 p.m.

In reply to FIYAPOWA :

Yeah, I saw that there were times I needed to address. I have set a clean time on every single rival, so there's plenty to work with. 

Any good sales on Horizon 5? I finally have a decent PC that can run it but I'm not paying $60 for a year old game...

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
10/11/22 3:51 p.m.

It's free on game pass

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/11/22 4:22 p.m.

In reply to Racebrick :

That's how I would do it. Skip the dlc anyhow - hot wheels again. I'm fairly certain this is my last horizon. I can't physically have any more money in game and I own literally every car. (including the really rare controller car and the even more rare opi Ford gt. )

Racebrick said:

It's free on game pass

Sweet! Just signed up. Thanks yes

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
11/13/22 11:04 p.m.

I play it when I'm sick haha, put in some hours since I've had covid for a week and a bit and have had a ton of fun. Not usually a sit in front of the TV kind of guy but this has been cool. Back to the real world now. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wSu6JFd93CEubbbn10VLru9DgnEZ5Ftu45yS6L1AHpIYfhkz9Hv1KX7bv2ZREzO7