z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
8/15/14 8:26 a.m.

If we could get enough GRM'ers together, we could host a league for it.

Not this mamby-pamby GT junk!

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
8/15/14 8:30 a.m.

I would like to try it before I buy it, are there any free trials?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/15/14 8:35 a.m.

I have an account I haven't used lately. If you get enough responses to get a league going I'd recharge it for the winter.

rsinn
rsinn New Reader
8/15/14 12:46 p.m.

I would be interested in getting in on any iRacing action. Currently going slow in the Open trucks on oval side. But can't wait till the Grand Touring Cup gets to the tracks I own (for that sweet Mustang sound).

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/15/14 1:56 p.m.

Have you tried GT6? Calling the single most active racing sim on GRM mamby pamby will not get you many people joining your party.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/15/14 2:36 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Have you tried GT6? Calling the single most active racing sim on GRM mamby pamby will not get you many people joining your party.

GT6 is pretty mamby-pamby cartoon stuff though whereas iRacing is like rFactor with professionally developed tracks and 30% of the features and worse net code .

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
8/15/14 4:42 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Have you tried GT6? Calling the single most active racing sim on GRM mamby pamby will not get you many people joining your party.

Nope, it's not on PS4.

Is it really a quantum leap over GT5?

mamby pamby was a joke, jesus.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/15/14 7:24 p.m.

Quantum leap . .. No but it is much much better. The tire physics and overall handeling physics are better. The graphics are MUCH MUCH better. Cars are no longer look cartoonish they are much more real.

Look through the GT6 thread and there are photos from the game posted. I also posted a link of some video of some of the racing but the quality of the video does not do the real thing justice.

In the GRM-GT6 racing league we run a Sunday and a Wednesday series each with 2 classes of cars 4 races total per night (8 total per week) each class is tracked for points over a 10 race schedule. We also run informal test and tune sessions several times a week as well. Competition is tough. Virtually everyone has some sort of real life autocross or track experience. It is also about the cleanest on line racing I have ever been involved in. The rules are simple if you would not want it done to you don't do it to others. Yes be bicker and toss some smack around but it is all in fun. People are willing to share setups and even take the time to ride along and give driving tips in real time using the spectator mode with voice chat.

Great group, lots of fun. Almost worth getting a used PS3 (if you don't have one)and a copy of GT6. Total cost would be under $250. I don't know what IRacing costs but I remember when I looked at it seemed to be cheaper in the long run to go with GT6. The short of it is come join the fun if you can. I think you would be surprised just how good it really is. It is a lot less about it being GT6 or I racing it really is about the group of people and the racing etiquette combined with some rally great drivers.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
8/18/14 11:16 a.m.

Very true. I couldn't really justify a PS3 purchase right now.

I haven't turned on my PS4 since I got iRacing and then I'd be stuck moving my rig from spare bedroom to the living room and back all the time.

e30Matt
e30Matt Reader
8/18/14 11:50 a.m.

I probably would do iRacing, but I don't have a computer capable of running it nor an area to have a legit setup. At this point it's a bit cost prohibitive to try to start. When GT7 comes out for PS4 then it'll be time to reevaluate.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/18/14 12:20 p.m.

I'm an occasional iRacing participant and run it on my spare computer. That thing's at least six years old. Still works pretty well, even though it's admittedly not the greatest experience.

Advan046
Advan046 Dork
8/20/14 1:23 p.m.

iRacing would be worth the money if I put in hours of play just as I did in Grand Prix Legends. Back in my early 20s that was possible but not anymore. Just not worth the money for the time I have to play.

I did give it a 3 month try and found the racing to be very fun and I found most of the folks to be very clean racers. I won a few races and improved my points to get into the next couple levels of racing but then I didn't like having one or two cars that I liked to race. I raced the other cars just to get the points. So it started to feel like work to keep my level and drive cars I didn't like. So I quit it and switched to GT5 and stayed there. I now race gt6 with the GRM forum guys and have a GREAT time. Maybe not as real of a simulator of tires and physics as iRacing but good enough.

I will say that the improvement from GT5 to GT6 in steering wheel feedback was vast. In GT5 I raced with feedback turned as low as I could and tried to learn the game feel. With GT6 it is much closer to real wheel feedback I had during my SCCA Improved touring racing and track days. So now I have it set to the default setting and can use the feedback to help drive the car just as in real life.

I guess when GT7 comes out on PS4 I will do the math like everyone else to see when it is worth jumping over.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/20/14 2:55 p.m.

The thing that irritated me most when I was paying for iRacing was that I couldn't just get on and race what I wanted to without having to fork out more cash. I had to race what they wanted me to race, the cars, the tracks, and the times (granted they are pretty frequent, but still).

I do like the concepts of driver ratings, I think they got that pretty close to right (vs. Gran Turismo which just requires you to play enough). I like that you get instant feedback on incidents and that your rating is public and easily visible. Let you know who to watch out for in a race.

Other than that... GT6 is good enough. I'm interested to see what Project CARS turns out to be, it looks amazing.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/14 9:03 p.m.

I raced iRacing and GT6 side by side, back to back. At Laguna Seca in the same car on each system. I really wanted to see how much better iRacing was. Verdict: It is not better. It is noticably worse in its physics realism and, of course graphics are much weaker. This is a track that I have driven for real so that is my reference. GT6 is simply better and no stupid pricing. Racing in the GRM league is higher caliber also.

fifty
fifty HalfDork
8/21/14 9:07 p.m.

I have Project CARS and, at the moment physics are a little better on iRacing.

IRACING made a huge leap forward with the latest update to the tire modelling- the Mata feels more realistic now.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/21/14 10:34 p.m.

Been several years since I tried to run iRacing. It'll run on my laptop but just barely. I wouldn't mind giving it another go if I had a computer to run it well. I still need to get my game room set up so I can get back to GT6. At least the internets at the new place are cooperating with me so far.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
8/22/14 10:14 a.m.
fifty wrote: I have Project CARS and, at the moment physics are a little better on iRacing. IRACING made a huge leap forward with the latest update to the tire modelling- the Mata feels more realistic now.

Agreed. Although I'm still off the WR pace at Laguna by a couple seconds.

As far as racing caliber? Once you get a little iRating you get into the higher splits where most guys know what they are doing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f3xT0IFgkBAxLDtdxU0MWX1CGlmh7ybEf7FeYtaeRSgEf1Q5RlUytEIcKI3PiEra