sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/18 4:04 a.m.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/09/how-iracing-democratizing-motorsports/571567/

I've got many thoughts about this article, but I'm having trouble organizing them.  But, I figured discussion on the board was warranted, and this part of the forum probably fit.

what says the hive?

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
9/30/18 7:40 a.m.

In the past year NASCAR has made a significant investment in e-sports. Specifically they have partnered with iRacing, done the peak thing mentioned in the article, and started to purchase simulators for fan engagement at the tracks. I suspect this move is a reason why the article. 

I am all for this. I would love for the water cooler chat of “did you see the game?” To be replaced with “tell me about your set-up.”  Or maybe “how do you like the new pedals?”  

If we are really lucky it might get as far as “are you going to the (autox, rally, track day) this weekend?”  

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/18 6:30 a.m.
pushrod36 said:

In the past year NASCAR has made a significant investment in e-sports. Specifically they have partnered with iRacing, done the peak thing mentioned in the article, and started to purchase simulators for fan engagement at the tracks. I suspect this move is a reason why the article. 

I am all for this. I would love for the water cooler chat of “did you see the game?” To be replaced with “tell me about your set-up.”  Or maybe “how do you like the new pedals?”  

If we are really lucky it might get as far as “are you going to the (autox, rally, track day) this weekend?”  

Not iRacing but we talk setups, wheels, driving dynamics, and a little trash in the PCars series. 

Plus Project Cars has the benefit of being a better sim and a substantially cheaper price. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/2/18 8:25 a.m.

Just curious what makes PC a "better sim" than iRacing?

I know when I tried AC a few years ago it was pretty, but not realistic.

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
10/2/18 7:35 p.m.

Also don't forget the investment that both Mazda and McLaren have made in iRacing as well.   The investments in esports are growing and there is a lot more mainstream money going into them than most people are aware of.

-Hans

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Sz9iJh7xbPlL5vN5vXZwbbg7bCofVmiYTZHXViZp6I5Foyqev1PLqgqZFDn7pGmR