1 2
bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
11/19/16 9:37 a.m.

I tried it and was unsatisfied, maybe if I spend two or three stacks on controls........

And then the bastards auto enrolled me in in Auto Renewal.

"I'm like what's this charge on my card? I have not used that in years!"

And then when I called to officially cancel they back pedaled on my refund. Had to go through the bank to get it removed.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
11/19/16 12:06 p.m.

I‘ve always wanted to try iRacing. Most the reviews and pro/con commentary focus on racing and driver rankings for progression. I just want to bomb around in cool cars on tracks I may never visit (think Time Trials or hpde). In all of the sim games I've played, I may have run less than a dozen online races in last 10-12 years.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/16 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero:

You can do that if you don't care about progression or racing. iRacing offers both car testing alone and with other people on tracks and time trials where you run on your own. Time Trials will actually lead to driver progression as well, just not as quickly.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
11/19/16 1:58 p.m.

So what are you using for gear?

asoduk
asoduk HalfDork
11/19/16 3:14 p.m.

iRacing runs really well on my laptop. Its pretty beefy: i7, 16GB ram, SSD, and quadro video card. I'm running it though a 24" monitor. I'm using an xbox 360 wheel and pedals. I know none of it is on the level of a dedicated gaming rig with a Logitech G27 setup, but I already had everything.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
11/19/16 3:46 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Color me as uninformed! I'll have to take a closer look at it when I build a PC to replace my decrepitly old, but still great running, machine.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
11/19/16 6:23 p.m.

I found a promo code for 5 bux and installed it . . . It runs pretty well! No I don't have it set to max detail

BoxheadTim
11/19/16 7:10 p.m.

One thing I noticed about iRacing is that it's pretty good at running on lower-end hardware. A good graphics card helps if you want to crank up the detail, though...

@strike_zero - I have an Asus NVidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB graphics card cluttering up my hardware pile if you're interested in upgrading your PC a little. Worked fine with iRacing but I needed a bit more power for Elite Dangerous so I ended up with a somewhat better card.

Hardware-wise I'm running on a i5-4690K with 16GB Ram and an AMD RX 470 4GB graphics card. The graphics card is a little overkill for full HD but I'm driving a 2560x1440 monitor with it...

I do find that the wheel controller does make a big difference - currently I have a Fanatec Forza wheel with pedals. Like the wheel, but I could do with better pedals.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
11/19/16 11:23 p.m.

Oooooh . . . That Asus card would be awesome, but my sim PC is old as dirt

• Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (Socket 939)
  • 4 GB Ram
  • Radeon HD 4670 (AGP POWA!!!)
  • SB 24bit
  • 1TB HD

I originally planned to retire it in April. However, the ole boy plays all the games I have on medium settings at a decent framerate. So I'll run it a little bit longer!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
11/20/16 7:57 a.m.

So after 2.5 hrs of iRacing, I see I've been missing out! For me, it was genuinely fun. Hop in a car and bomb around.

Coming from ISI and SimBin type sims, the difference between low hp and hi hp cars is absolutely staggering . I had way more fun in the MX-5 cars than I would've imagined.

Is the Summit Point Circuit really this fun? I wonder if I can squeeze in a few laps before lunch . . .

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
11/20/16 10:30 a.m.

Does it work out of the box with VR. a headset and a wheel off eBay is cheaper then a weekend's worth of tires and travel money to me and leaning real live tracks would be very helpful.

I have a GTX1070 and I7 3.4 and with 32gb of memory on the MB.

BoxheadTim
11/20/16 12:45 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe:

I'm pretty sure they support VR - there are a few videos on YouTube that show people using their VR headset with it. Might be limited to Oculus Rift/HTC Vive though but that's not that much of a limitation.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6ZVqsBR8VWdcoN8ZO6sUyJwVNdODKINeRv2adOaHqhEqg2SllwVhimNaOGJktDLW