sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/18 9:07 a.m.

So, some parameters...

It looks like I won't be able to drive much for the time being... which is partly self-imposed.  But, that's not going to be great when it comes to May, I need to hope in the traccord and hopefully not completely embarrass myself.

Current Assets:
- Logitech G25, from probably 2010
- 1 spare Dell U2311H monitor

I'm not interested in having a PS-whatever around the house.  I made a move to try and rid our house of windows computer a couple years ago, and I'm relatively comfortable with Ubuntu/Mint - although I realize that may not be of much help in this situation.

I'm not particularly interested in wheel-to-wheel... none of the "track driving" I do now requires those skills... and I've got enough track time to handle any passing situations I'll come across for the time being.  I need to keep some fundamentals, and see if I can't bone up on better car-handling / eye-hand-foot coordination.

Liabilities:
Budget: $500, I might could stretch to $750... but sleepywife is going to balk if I get up to $1000.
Small Form Factors are preferred.  If I buy a computer, I'm going to have to carry the thing home on foot and a bus... most likely while carrying a 20-ish lb sleepykid#2.

Am I stuck getting a windows computer?  What sims should I be looking at?  Suggestions on computers?

I reckon that iRacing isn't an option at this low a price-point... and is overkill for my needs.  Ditto PCars2.  Although I think I could build a system to handle the original PCars, and it looks like it has a "Time Trial"-esque mode.  Am I overlooking other options?

So, what says the great Sim-Central Hive?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/18 4:57 p.m.

A PS4pro and a g29 carefully shopped should get you going for under your 750 price point new. Used and or a regular PS4 you may be able to get things down close to the $500 range.  

Also you do know that amazon delivers to your doorstep. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
10/27/18 8:04 p.m.

Craigslist pc + Windows + live for speed or Rfactor.

Decent physics but older graphics.  Still fun

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/31/18 1:22 p.m.

Rfactor 2 (on sale on steam for 50% off at the moment so $18.49 CAD) came out in 2012 so it may be a good option for an older pc system and there is lots of free downloadable content (tracks and cars) that is quite good to add to the basic game. A lot of that content can be downloaded directly through the Rfactor 2 workshop on steam which makes it very simple to do. 

Rfactor 2 on Steam

Adam

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/18 2:55 p.m.

Yep, you'll need to run Windows for most of the available decent racing games. 

Goodwill sells online and sometimes you can score some interesting stuff there: shopgoodwill.com

Don't forget they made quite a few decent racing sims that don't require internet connectivity or a modern version of Windows to play them.  Even GrandPrixLegends still has a following.  GTR2 is still popular

Grab an older game online, something that will work with your current system, load Windows XP or 7 and leave it off the network as strictly a sim system.

This is what a friend of mine does for his gaming, all of his systems are UX or Mac except for the one Windows sim system and it isn't allowed on the network unless he needs to update or change something.  Even then sneaker net works fine.

Bonus, if you can pickup a video card that will support 3 monitors, you can pickup an extra monitor and a triple screen mount from Amazon and you'll be in like Flynn.  Triple monitors are awesome for racing sims and are something the PS/XB wish they could do.  That said, a proper VR headset is the way many are going, but that is outside of your budget.

Here's a DIY sim-rig plan:

https://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/4661-isr-diy-rig-1-the-deathmobile-wood-rig/

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/20/19 1:55 p.m.

I have no paddles, therefore am not a canoe

But I would like to bump this post and request an update...what did you end

up with hardware wise? And what games? I'd like to do something similar.

R

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/21/19 12:49 a.m.

I ended up waiting too long, and then “easy buttoned” by going to the local version of an electronics store a bought a ~$450 15” Core i3 laptop, with 4gigs of RAM and an Nvidia graphics card.  I connected it to my existing G25 wheelset from 2009, and a 30” TV that we weren’t using (TV was $300 when we bought it back in 2016?)

I’ve run the original rFactor, although that was from misunderstanding the state of the modded tracks (only could get 1 of 4 I wanted)... since I was trying to get sighting laps before OneLap.  It was enough that I was comfortable jumping in the car and driving... although still a little rusty dealing with traffic and thinking strategically on the street.  But, I was more comfortable with the car moving around on me on-track and especially in the wet at Hastings thanks to using even this basic setup.

As a computer, it does ok.  4 gigs really isn’t enough to run windows these days... especially with a bunch of bloatware.  It runs rFactor fine, plus xfoil and javafoil, but can’t handle the number of tabs I have open right now on this tablet.

If I did it over again, I’d probably try to build up something with a smallish ssd, 8gigs of ram, core i3, and drop a clean oem version of windows.  Maybe a NUC.

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/21/19 10:14 a.m.

Thanks for the info...

failboat
failboat UberDork
5/22/19 1:59 p.m.

if you are not super interested in wheel to wheel, Assetto Corsa is a great option if you can put together a PC for it.

Like R factor, endless amounts of car and track mods available

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S9KB3Xm41x1a6tafnRr6k3VCKxBYpOgCUJ0dAGiHgDcSVThAIhMbkDdfH80ojp0O