Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
3/23/14 12:28 p.m.

Anyone else play this? I've re-instituted my addiction since it's very easy to hold a sleeping baby and play, unlike using a wheel for Gran Turismo.

I recommend you try it, it's only $27 or so (20 pounds, I think), there's a demo I think on minecraft.net. The real version is SO much better, though, plus there are mods (free) and massive updates with new content (also free), and servers, and on an on. I could open a private GRM server if people really get into it, too. You can personalize skins, also. There's survival mode, adventure maps (usually also free), sandbox build mode. I can assure you, you will never get better bang for your buck out of a video game. Your $27 will keep you occupied for (read: literally use up) endless hours, years even of your life.

I occasionally use uncovery.me as a server, it's pretty nice. Also free. It's kind of idiot-proof, meaning they make it hard for idiots to sign up. In order to do anything on the server (beyond just walking around and looking at stuff) you have to read something and fill out a brief multiple choice quiz, with all of the answers available in the text above the quiz. Yeah, an idiot could figure that out, and yet some people don't. The uncovery lots are protected, meaning some jerk can't just wreck your stuff.

For some reason I lost a bunch of my data during the last restore (I guess it doesn't save appdata in windows.old during a restore like it does desktop and other files... poop) but here are some internet pics:

Nice House:

Pixel art:

Westeros (for people who have WAY too much time to kill):

There's this stuff called redstone and some affiliated stuff, it's a lot like computers and electrical stuff. You can make switches, lights, automated zombie defense systems, and even entire computers:

Those computers aren't not powerful enough, however, to play minecraft.

There are some nice mods, too, like an impressive lighting and reflection thingy:

You better have a beefy videocard to run that, though. I drop to 15fps with reduced view distance. It bugged the crap out of me so I don't use it anymore. It was really pretty, though, too bad I lost a bunch of my photos AND maps with cool looking stuff...

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/23/14 12:51 p.m.

I've had it since mojang sold it with lifetime licenses in alpha.... Its been years since I did any thing with it.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/23/14 12:57 p.m.

Both of my kids play

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
3/23/14 1:09 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

A LOT has been added in the past year alone, you should check it out again. it's like a totally different game almost. The basics are the same, but the more advanced stuff is way new.

In reply to Flight Service:

That's what I like about it, it's a game I actually like that is kid friendly. I suppose GT6 is kid friendly, but most kids don't like car games without some kind of crashing involved, and GT crashing is extremely disappointing. If you/they play on PC you should check out the uncovery server. Mostly it's adults playing, but they have a no-tolerance family friendly policy. Cursing over the chat = instaban, same for 'suggestive' buildings.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
3/23/14 1:10 p.m.

My son plays sporadically. Right now, he's playing more "World of Tanks" (also easy to play with just a mouse and free if you need another distraction), but he always goes back to Minecraft after he finishes whatever new game he's working on.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
3/23/14 2:33 p.m.

For kicks I re-learned servers and opened one.

To access it, go to multiplayer, click "direct connect", and type in the IP. If you want the IP, ask and I'll send it to you via pm.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
3/23/14 2:50 p.m.

I keep telling myself I need to check this game out sometime. I take it its mostly (or all) multiplayer based though.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
3/23/14 2:56 p.m.

Nope, not at all. There is a TON of multiplayer stuff, but the game is entirely playable single player. The only things multiplayer adds (besides playing with people outside of your local network) is plugins and stuff that other players come up with.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
3/23/14 3:36 p.m.

I bought it way back in beta for 5 bucks. Fun stuff. If you want to play with mods grab the technic launcher, it makes playing with them much easier, since you pick the modpack you want and it does all the work for you. Playing a pokemon mod on it right now.

Play it on the PS3 as well. There's less to do and it plays like an older version of the game, but they're adding stuff to it all the time.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
3/23/14 5:51 p.m.

You need a kickass video card...

For 8 bit graphics...

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/23/14 10:57 p.m.

My kids, their cousins and all their friends are addicted. It's starting to drive me nuts. If they aren't building houses and attacking each other they are watching video walk throughs. Whatever happened to pong?

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
3/24/14 12:07 a.m.

Pong? is that the game with beer cups?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/24/14 8:46 a.m.

I have wasted WAY to much time with that.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
3/25/14 11:15 a.m.

I haven't played Minecraft... But I noticed a game called Space Engineer is on Steam. It reminded me of minecraft. Has anyone tried it; its in alpha at the moment. It looks interesting, I might get it.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/5/20 8:55 a.m.

I play it some with my oldest son and his cousins. I prefer survival but my son just wants to play in creative. 

Mostly we play on the PS4, but it just got cross play with the Bedrock edition. I need to look into how/when it can connect to private servers. 

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
1/5/20 9:21 a.m.
white2019 said:

I've been playing minecraft since I was very young. This game is special for me, it's really interesting, and I love it. Now I am not playing that often as before, but I have launched my own server hosted by (link deleted)  Minecraft is my favourite game of all time, it takes a special place in my heart.

I like minecraft too. The boats remind me of when I used to have a canoe.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
1/5/20 10:20 a.m.

I can't believe it's been around that long? My kids are addicted to it besides Roblox. Grateful that they never discovered Fortnight. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/5/20 6:27 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

I can't believe it's been around that long? My kids are addicted to it besides Roblox. Grateful that they never discovered Fortnight. 

My son plays all 3 surprise

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/20 6:58 p.m.

Still playing. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/25/20 7:34 p.m.

Ok. I actually need some Minecraft support. 

My kid plays on the PS4 as a child account connected to my account with PS+. He loves dinosaurs so I finally caved and bought him a Dinosaur World map pack. I bought it with my account thinking it would share to his account like everything else does, but I can't get it to show up. 

Ok, $5 gone but fine. I'll buy it a second time on his account. Except his account won't let me add funds to make a purchase. 

Any ideas on how to get him Minecraft dinosaurs?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/20 5:08 p.m.

I will ask my son. He is a Minecraft guru. He is all PC so the ps thing may not translate. I will ask

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lahXmgKTC3IPV9ELrCX2Q4RZadtKGXDeckBtJgvumo3nfxGduFRgPaRDe6lDniiH