1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/26/13 11:07 p.m.

What's the hot setup these days? Forza? Grand Turismo? Where are the cool kids hanging out, and what hardware and software are needed to join them?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/26/13 11:18 p.m.

I like gt5 and soon to be 6. The group here on GRM are a great bunch and Allaircolooled does a great job of running things. Very compeditive with some very good drivers. For the most part everyone has raced for real so there is a certian ediquit that is followed.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
12/26/13 11:18 p.m.

I think the new forza is on the new XBox, but GT6 is on PS3 for some reason, you might be able to get one cheap now that PS4 is out, or you might already have a PS3. Bonus points for playstation supporting PC compatible wheels like the G25, I think xbox one is controller only. I'm just glad the wheel i shelled out for (or asked for xmas years ago so I didn't have to shell out my non-existent money) works for PC sims and gran turismo. Good way to waste the least amount of money for the most amount of compatibility.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
12/26/13 11:25 p.m.

Not everyone has raced for real, i'm at only an auto-x school or 2 for real world experience, but I (like others) try to drive as safe/polite as though it were the real world.

If I can add a bit more support for GT6, you have an endless amount of Miatas, the Daihatsu Mira can have 588hp, the PC-sim compatible wheels are plug and play, no hassle needed.

There's also a potential for future auto-x courses with GT6. There's a big arena and cones, seems a simple step to autox. whether the do it or not is another question...

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
12/27/13 5:05 a.m.

We're running a B-Spec series on Forza 4 right now. Forza 4 is on the 360, which is about the same price as a PS3. You can use a Fanatec Club Sport wheel, which is a VERY good wheel. Up to 16 players in a lobby in FM4, all in cars with paint jobs to resemble real or ficticious companies. Check out the 'Unofficial GRM B-Spec series' page for a few photos of what is possible. There is even a FM4 photo page floating around in the 'Off-topic' forum, with all sorts of cars with paint jobs made possible in Forza's livery editor. There are quite a few of us on FM4 that haved raced for real, and I've even got a few on my friends list who have driven Grand-Am and IMSA within the last two years.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
12/27/13 6:41 a.m.

Would you have to buy anything or do you have PS3/Xbox already?

failboat
failboat SuperDork
12/27/13 7:00 a.m.

Good thing about the fanatec wheel is it is compatible with pc, ps3, and xbox 360. It is not compatible with xbox one (thanks microsoft! berkeleyers!)

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/27/13 8:25 a.m.

I could be convinced to fire up GTAV, but don't expect me to play fair.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/27/13 8:39 a.m.

Both Forza and GT6 are great choices. Your decision should probably be based on what else you plan to use the machine for. I was playing Forza for a while with a crappy Microsoft wheel, then I bought a Logitech G27 so I could do some iRacing, which means it looks like I'm making the switch to GT6. Bought a refurb 120GB PS3 at Gamestop last night for $169 so I don't have to kick the wife off of Netflix. Our local Gamestop has stacks and stacks of previously loved PS3s and Xbox 360s right now.

jg

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/27/13 8:41 a.m.

Forza vs. Gran Turismo...

Forza Pros:

• Livery editor
  • Engine swaps
  • Better damage modeling
  • New version on Next Gen console

GT Pros:

• More cars than you know what to do with... granted there are a LOT of different editions of the same car
  • More types of cars: Formula, LeMans Prototypes, LeMans GT, SuperGT, Touring Cars, Rally, Cars from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and Current
  • Best track selection of any console based racing game
  • Stable GRM racing series going on the 10th season
  • New version on old gen console (PS3)
  • Rumor of a GPS based track creator.
  • People who are good at GT routinely become professional race drivers

I'm a GT guy... have been since GT3, so I am biased.

Ok, Forza people... flame away...

Powar
Powar SuperDork
12/27/13 8:43 a.m.
mndsm wrote: I could be convinced to fire up GTAV, but don't expect me to play fair.

You should. I've been messing around with it a bit more lately. The new 'Capture' modes of play are interesting and fairly fun, but the online mode is still seriously borked with modders.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/27/13 8:46 a.m.

I should add that Forza will have a much more enjoyable audio experience.

The GT developers claim their sounds are the raw audio from the cars, but while that may be true it doesn't come back out of the game that way... all the cars pretty much sound like vacuum cleaners.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/27/13 10:01 a.m.
BradLTL wrote: I should add that Forza will have a much more enjoyable audio experience. The GT developers claim their sounds are the raw audio from the cars, but while that may be true it doesn't come back out of the game that way... all the cars pretty much sound like vacuum cleaners.

I don't completely agree with this. What you can tell is what cars they spent time on and what cars they plugged in a generic engine sound for.

The sound in GT6 is an improvement over GT5. What I found is if I play the sound through my Bose radio thing that I have connected to my TV the sounds are much better. I have headphones and for the most part the sound is acceptable. Not great but good enough so I don't think about it.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
12/27/13 10:07 a.m.

I love the sound in forza, but sometimes it sexes things up too much and you get a stock nissan march that sounds like an itb miata.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
12/27/13 12:25 p.m.

After everything I have read about FM5/XBOne, some of which is firsthand from friends that work for the developer, it seems that if you usually play alone against computer driven competition, then FM5 is absolutely brilliant. But, it seems that they cut out much of the stuff that has made Forza's multiplayer modes so great to do so. That being said, I am going to save me a bunch of money and stick with Forza 4 for quite a while.

As for Turismo... I haven't touched it since the PS2 and GT4, or more precisely ever since I got ahold of FM2. Being able to properly build and paint the cars, then see how my stuff stacks up against other humans is what drives my passion.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
12/27/13 3:29 p.m.

Not to start a forza v. GT debate but if it's wheel to wheel racing against other human beings you're after I can't imagine you'll find anything better than our own GT5/6 series. We have had some of the most exciting, competitive and clean races I've ever experienced virtually. Everything is well organized and AllAirCooled deserves a huge amount of kudos for the amount of time and energy he puts into keeping it that way. I say get GT6 and try it for two races with us, I bet you get hooked. I will warn you that you have to be very good to win, I know Argo and dean put in huge amounts of time testing and tuning. Aliens like spoolpigeon, spyhunter, and the like never make mistakes and are freaky fast. Dave has elevated his game to be considered in there as well. I can promise though that even mid or back of the field you will have great fun and some good hard clean racing.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
12/27/13 4:04 p.m.

If I had to count one major thing against GT5/6 it's the lack of livery editor. I LOVED recreating Group B rally liveries in Forza and would spend hours upon hours doing it. Which reveals the biggest difference between the two games. Forza is about the look and sound. GT is about the driving. That's why I've never even pondered getting another XBox.

GT6 is a large improvement over GT5, but I think we should consider it to be a large update rather than an all-new game. I wouldn't be surprised to see GT7 come out in a little over a year for the PS4, which exactly when I'll buy a PS4 coincidentally.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
12/27/13 4:06 p.m.

Sidenote: Our GRM GT5/6 league is outstanding fun. Has it benefitted my real driving? Dunno. Maybe they should add a hillclimb part to the game.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
12/27/13 4:09 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: If I had to count one major thing against GT5/6 it's the lack of livery editor. I LOVED recreating Group B rally liveries in Forza and would spend hours upon hours doing it. Which reveals the biggest difference between the two games. Forza is about the look and sound. GT is about the driving. That's why I've never even pondered getting another XBox. GT6 is a large improvement over GT5, but I think we should consider it to be a large update rather than an all-new game. I wouldn't be surprised to see GT7 come out in a little over a year for the PS4, which exactly when I'll buy a PS4 coincidentally.

That's a funny coincidence, that's exactly when I plan on buying a PS4 as well!

Agreed on the livery editor thing, I really wish GT6 had one. Not to turn it into a lemons-style comedy car fest, well not entirely, but replicating real racing cars, too.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
12/27/13 4:51 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: I should add that Forza will have a much more enjoyable audio experience....

I know this is a popular complaint about GT. I think some of it is that GT seems to simulate the interior sound when driving, rather the the exterior. You have to admit there can be a huge difference, especially in quiet modern cars.

To use the (original) GT40 as an example. Follow one in a race and they sound glorious. Drive one in the game and is sounds like some sort of industrial drilling equipment. I suspect the interior sound is simulating a really lound straight cut gear transaxle that you are almost sitting on.

Drive the red bull jr in GT, great sound, it's open cockpit.

To stifle the complaints I think they need to offer an option to hear the exterior sounds when driving.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
12/27/13 4:52 p.m.

The GT7 / PS4 time will be an interesting, expensive decision time around here....

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/27/13 11:27 p.m.
aircooled wrote: The GT7 / PS4 time will be an interesting, expensive decision time around here....

Yes, it had better be a significant change. Not just an update like GT6. The same things have been complained about forever. Do they ever listen to their users?

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
12/28/13 12:37 a.m.

I have to ask: of all the tracks that GT6 boasts, how many are real and how many are fantasy? And of the fantasy tracks, how do they rate in realism? Not trying to be a shiny happy person, just asking an honest question.

One thing that Forza won me over on was the lack of multiple overly Japanese fantasy circuits. I like Suzuka just fine, but don't throw back alleys and superhighways of Tokyo at me and tell me that they are "realistic" circuits.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
12/28/13 12:49 a.m.

I don't think there are any "new" fantasy tracks. Apricot hill is new for gt6 but it was in gt3 as well, and the stadium was in previous games too, though in a different set up. I guess all that would count as is a new cart track. The new tracks are willow springs/streets of willow, mount panorama, silver stone, brands hatch, etc... Good, well known actual tracks.

The fantasy tracks seem rendered anew but I still don't find them overly exciting either.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
12/28/13 1:00 a.m.

GT6 online race lobby count? Last time I played Turismo, the count was 6, but that was long ago.

I'm okay with Forza 4's 16, but before launch, there were rumors of 32, so to see 16 in FM5 is a letdown.

Best grid outside of NA$CAR I have yet to see is still the 21 that Pro Race Driver (PS2) had in career mode of V8 Supercars. The V8s in that game were all I needed to carry me over for years. Too bad that Grid/Grid2 were collosal disappointments. Had they kept it a V8SC based game, and didn't try so hard to appeal to the ignorant masses, that would have been great.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qdLtUENsGwghN5ZRrn8XGSuMI1tY6nM6J2MfvNYWDBYRTnke4p6HKmzC5WJHrxp5