Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/14/16 3:18 p.m.

My ole Sim-Rig has finally been retired.

Check these stats from my old, but relible beast running Win7.

• Athlon 64 X2 4200
  • 4 GB Ram
  • Radeon HD 4670 (AGP POWA!!!)
  • SB 24bit
  • 1TB HD

While it couldn't run the new stuff at high settings, it WAS rock stable and lasted 14 years. The above specs was from 2010

I ran mostly SimBin and ISI based racing games on it. Just recently, Simraceway and RaceRoom Experience have been added . . . Yes it ran those at "medium" settings without any issues

Now it's time to move on and repurpose it to the Garage PC. I'm doing a scary low sub-$400 budget build. I've had extremely good luck running some refurbed PCs from Newegg. They can be acquired with a decent ammount of ram (8GB) and Core2Duo @ 3GHz starting as low as $150. I'm thinking about grabbing one and throwing a fairly modern R7 370 card, stab in it, and drive old ass games (plus a few new ones) for the next 13 years.

What sayeth the peanut gallery?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
4/14/16 3:20 p.m.

Peanut gallery says wait for a new egg deal and pickup a GTX 960ti cheap to round it out so you can actually run modern stuff as well for steam sales.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
4/14/16 5:40 p.m.

That AGP Radeon model is actually worth a bit of money, being one of the fastest cards ever made for AGP. Just so you know.

I just built a "new" rig that's not much faster than the one you're getting rid of. But it plays what I need it to which is all that matters. ;)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c3dMlTX1Al7MZDtoLMgpKy051cYlh2ojfrwzVXXzbQrqWL2YhwxRIN4lJLj6JOgm