1 2
bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
7/9/16 5:34 p.m.

I'm not a gamer, and I never really played Pokemon when I was younger.

But I'm hooked on this Pokemon Go thing.

Only reason I'm posting this here is the PoGo Servers are down.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
7/9/16 5:42 p.m.

If that's the one where you use a smart phone and run around catching pokemon, my wife and kids are hooked too.

They were catching them like crazy at Costco.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
7/9/16 5:56 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

That's the one. I started playing yesterday and promptly left civilization for the weekend. There are none to be caught up here.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
7/9/16 6:40 p.m.

I have no idea what all that entails, but there's a girl in Britain that found a dead body playing it. Poor fellow had drowned, apparently. Or are Pokemon deadly?

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/9/16 10:48 p.m.

My girlfriend wanted to play it.....but the servers are constantly down

The0retical
The0retical Dork
7/10/16 9:35 a.m.

There's a whole thread on Kotaku right now with people complaining about sore legs from walking around...

I'm waiting for someone to walk out into traffic then blame Nintendo.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
7/10/16 11:07 a.m.

In reply to The0retical: People evidently need to walk or run around more if playing this game makes their legs sore.

I don't play it, but I should buy one of the newer Pokemon 3DS games.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/16 4:25 p.m.

I think this game explains why there are roaming groups of teens (and college age kids!) wandering around downtown Grand Junction staring at their phones. They're moving in packs.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/16 4:44 p.m.

My daughter is playing it. I was told that Dunkin Donuts was a huge score.

I think it I great to get the kids out walking.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
7/10/16 5:05 p.m.

Wife just told me that there's apparently some rare one in our backyard because people keep knocking on the door... guarded by the 80lbs of hatred I call a dog. At least they have enough sense not to jump my fence around here.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
7/11/16 6:15 a.m.

I've heard it's actually getting kids to go outside again and....gasp....exercise.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
7/11/16 7:07 a.m.

Took my dog to the park yesterday, so many people playing it. I asked a mom and her teen son if they were playing, she laughed and said yes. Parent-son geek interaction is awesome. (And Fraze Pavillion Saturday for a chicken wing festival was packed with players.)

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
7/11/16 7:39 a.m.

I am a bit too old for the original wave of Pokemon, but my wife is a couple years younger and I knew she played some of the games and watched some of the original cartoons, so I jumped on board with the hype. She actually seemed skeptical until she caught her first pokemon. Then we spent the next hour walking around the house catching them, and later on we grabbed some to-go food and I drove around the neighborhood while she played. We are having fun. Too bad it drains the battery so quickly.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
7/11/16 8:21 a.m.

I think there's a real opportunity for some entrepreneurs here. Camp out near a Lure and sell bottled water, lemonade, soda, and snacks.

johndej
johndej Reader
7/11/16 8:25 a.m.

Yeah, I was thinking if you could somehow drive traffic towards your store/food truck/etc somehow with it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
7/11/16 8:31 a.m.

Relevant XKCD

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/16 9:37 a.m.

Who would have thought that the first augmented reality application with mass appeal would be Pokemon?

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
7/13/16 12:39 a.m.

I got conned into going to the next town over to walk around a college campus with 2 of my friends while they hunted for pokemon. The app apparently doesn't work on my S3 Mini, so I spent the entire time pointing out random bugs. I saw at least 20 people walking around staring that their phone making comments to people about stuff that sounded like Pokemon. This was between the hours of 9:30 and 11:00pm.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
7/14/16 12:24 p.m.

I was laughing at everyone out getting pelted in buckle sized hail trying to find out if electric types did indeed spawn during thunderstorms....lol

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
7/14/16 1:14 p.m.
johndej wrote: Yeah, I was thinking if you could somehow drive traffic towards your store/food truck/etc somehow with it.

Nintendo is now looking in to sponsored hotspots. Right now it appears to be random, but that is a lot of potential money wasted. I'm sure they'll find a way to ruin it and turn people off.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/19/16 5:29 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Who would have thought that the first augmented reality application with mass appeal would be Pokemon?

Exactly. All the useful products are ignored. Let s go catch magical cartoon animals.

That said, I have it on my phone. My 5 year old plays as we ride in the car and go grocery shopping. It helps with those trips, so I support it.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
7/20/16 12:12 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL:

I figured out how to get the coins for free....I took over the two gyms in town, put a decently strong Flareon in each(1046 & 1040), then trained the gyms up to lvl 10......3 days now I have been collecting coins because nobody can knock them out. LoL

Every 21 hours I get to collect 20 coins.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
7/20/16 12:15 p.m.

In reply to WOW Really Paul?:

In my area those Flareons aren't very strong. I'm really wanting a Snorlax to defend my gyms.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
7/20/16 12:17 p.m.
BradLTL wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Who would have thought that the first augmented reality application with mass appeal would be Pokemon?
Exactly. All the useful products are ignored. Let s go catch magical cartoon animals.

That is amazing. I would have thought pron would have been the first thing.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/16 3:19 p.m.

I am just glad they did not adapt the game Tron to a real world application like this.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d8eTeVUihFTWO4HqsUNAqmwOqH1sUNsFg8cQ58Lv53wJ4AQaJFTf4P9SGrJeHolx