dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/20 9:48 a.m.

This week we are going to take a detour and re visit the GTE cars.  Specifically the Porsche 911.  The room will be open to all GTE cars however for at least one session I would like to test all of us in the 911 with a fixed tune that Matt is kindly said he will share with all of us.  I would also like to test some of the other cars in the default setups and see what we think of them.

I am thinking that we could do a series where we rotate through the GTE cars.  With everyone running the same car for each race in default tune and let the AI fill the field with other GTE cars.

The other option is that we may all really like the 911 and the tune that Matt brings and we run it that way against the AI.  (why we are testing it)

This Wednesday I plan on setting up the room with a 15 min practice and then strait in to  a 4 or 5 lap race depending on the track.  This should let us get through at least 4 test sessions.

Track suggestions are always welcome.  Hell we could even try them on dirt just for "fun"  LOL. 

As always driving aides with the exception of ABS will be turned off. I typically set the time to 12:00 and clear weather and the AI to 100/20 in case people want to do some testing. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/5/20 8:20 p.m.

I think we should do Spa as one of the tracks. We have not run that one a lot.

dean1484
9/6/20 12:19 p.m.

Tj Matt and I tested a good number of the gte cars. 

I liked:

911 with the Tune Matt gave us

Corvette with stock tune

Astin Martin  stock tune. Tested that talking to TJ at the end and it was a good car.  

BMW was kind of fast but not a lot of fun to drive

Ferrari with my tune was not so great for me.  I suspect we tuned these before the update and it was tuned for fuel millage and tire ware not for optimal handeling. 

I did not test the GT 40. Maybe back on tonight. 

cmcmillin31
cmcmillin31 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/7/20 12:02 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Agreed, Spa should def be one of the tracks.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/8/20 1:38 p.m.

Monza, Bathurst, and maybe Silverstone.

dean1484
9/9/20 5:12 p.m.

Think A very fast car that a track was named after. . .  That is where we are starting tonight. .  

dean1484
9/9/20 5:13 p.m.

The GT is fun.  I ended up being fastest in the Ferrari last night.  Who would have thought.  

dean1484
9/9/20 6:23 p.m.

So tonight will be a loose trial run for GTE sprint race series. I want to discuss format, points and scoring and possibly incorporating an endurance component as well. I am thinking a three event series to start that would take 6 weeks to run if we incorporate the endurance part.  I am definitly not leaking towards any kind of open tuning series but I think that using tunes provided by players is somthing that would be good as it opens up us using more cars. It would require that people be trusted not to alter cars tunes.  (Trust amongst thieves kind of thing). I want to keep the arrive and drive aspect of this in place as it has become spare t to me that many of us don't have the time to spend hours perfecting a tune and as such are not competitive. This is not fun and the whole point of this is to have fun scrapping it out with others. 

Another thing to discuss tonight would be having last place pick the next weeks car and first place pick the track. Car selection would be from a fixed list/class of cars (like for this round the GTE cars). We should discuss this as well. Everyone must come to the races with both a car an track ready. No surprises one day before the next event. If you don't your host will pick or worst yet we will let Air pick. ;-).  

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
9/14/20 11:57 p.m.

I have good news and bad news.

The first is that I have qualified for the Regional Final in the Logitech G Challenge, and with the COVID the Regional Finals are actually what matters this time around.  Top 12 total from PC, PS4, and Xbox, winner takes all.  There are still unknowns about how it will work, but I do intend to spend most of my time in that #$#* McLaren until the final.

The other is that the dude who is stupidly fast and finished 3rd in the World Final last year shared his FFB settings with me, and literally lap 1 sector 1 of trying them I was 0.025s off my best ever lap.  This is at a track that was used in the challenge last year and twice again this year, so time has been put in on setting the prior lap time.  I don't expect a ton of improvement in outright pace, but it takes a ton of the risk of curbs and minor grass touches out of the equation so I expect much better race pace  going forward.

Which is which?  That's up to you devil

dean1484
9/15/20 7:47 a.m.

Note to self don't race Sauce in the McClaren. laugh

A huge congrats to you Matt. You have put a ton of time in to trying to win that. It would be cool if somehow it was broadcast live. Kind of like F1 qualifying. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
9/15/20 3:35 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Thanks man, it'll still be tough but given how the first PS4 qualifier went this year literally anything can happen.  I started P3 and had great start, had almost completely cleared P2 and was getting the Schumacher Squeeze from P1 as he was trying to keep me from passing into T1 but I likely had him. However, someone else behind had jumped the start and was passing P2 but hadn't cleared him when he tried to come over, pushing P2 into me and then all hell broke loose.  I took some minor damage but was the only car out of the top 9 that didn't get taken out and had a huge gap on the field.  They ended up restarting which was the right call and I still made it through, but all it takes is one mistake to ruin a race.

It will be streamed, but the North America final isn't until December so there is quite a bit of time.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
10/1/20 8:45 p.m.

Didn't know where else to put this, but I wanted to share the FFB settings from one of the fastest dudes on the planet in PC2 as it varies greatly from the settings I found online when setting up the game.  This is for PS4, PC settings have the Gain at 100 and FX at 0 instead.

Flavor: Raw

Gain: 80

Volume: 35

Tone: 80

FX: 1

Menu Spring Strength: 0.01

dean1484
10/1/20 9:48 p.m.

Thanks Matt!!!!

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
10/6/20 9:25 a.m.

Since the final of the Logitech thing will be on PC I've started playing on there to get more used to it, and the talk of PC being superior for lobbies and such is absolutely false. The number of active public lobbies is not any greater than on PS4 and the intentional wrecking is insane. The competition is also worse, and I'm fairly certain that most of the group would have a higher rating on PC than I currently do on PS4. In a full room with multiple 1900+ rated drivers and most of the balance of the field being 1700+ I set pole by 2.5s, and that was on a default setup when tuning was allowed. 

I've been trying to get my safety rating up but keep getting hammered in every single race, usually in T1, which leads to being stuck mid pack and getting hit again trying to work forward. If I do make it away clean some back marker is almost inevitably waiting to wreck the leaders as they come around. It's infuriating. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
10/7/20 1:36 p.m.

So are we doing anything tonight? 

cmcmillin31
10/7/20 3:22 p.m.

I'll be on tonight.  I'm down for a few assorted sprint races.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/30/20 1:03 p.m.

Anyone on tonight?  The holidays can create some confusion (I missed last week).

cmcmillin31
1/5/21 10:57 a.m.

I'm down for a few practice sessions tonight if anyone wants to join.  I missed the past few weeks.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/5/21 5:28 p.m.

We normally run tomorrow night, but if Dean is up to it I can probably get on for a bit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HdtDUSZsLernMQknhXy6HTKO8i74P1RaAw9sUN5i7xczcOTXoIGp8DJv5hgq0z30