ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
9/20/14 2:49 p.m.

Anyone here had problems with their PS3 that have required repair?

Just a couple weeks ago I was playing Infamous 2 and the system locked up on me. Odd, but after reboot it worked fine.

Now I'm playing through Uncharted 2. I've had a couple lockups, and now I'm at a point where I can't consistently load the game. 1/2 the audio drops out, the music starts skipping, textures go missing, and there is freezing.

I've done the "Restore File System" thing, I've cleaned the dust out by doing the self-cleaning trick then taking it to the garage and using the air compressor. I've also deleted the game data and re-installed the patch. Still can't play the game :(

PS3 Slim 160gb by the way. What's my next step?

1kris06
1kris06 Reader
9/20/14 3:15 p.m.

I had similar issues. But I haven't touched mine in almost 2 years after it corrupted my gt5 save file. Both my phat and slim systems had freezing issues, so it doesn't seem model specific.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/20/14 4:45 p.m.

Pop the cover off and make sure you got the dust out.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
9/20/14 6:59 p.m.

Honestly, I'd say just change the hard drive. Ever since I swapped mine out for the 1TB I haven't had nearly any freezing issues.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
9/20/14 8:23 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Pop the cover off and make sure you got the dust out.

Just ordered a T8 tamper proof driver so I can do that this week.

Grizz wrote: Honestly, I'd say just change the hard drive. Ever since I swapped mine out for the 1TB I haven't had nearly any freezing issues.

I'd really rather not drop the coin to put a new drive in a previous-gen gaming system. Unless there is some place I can get a cheap 160gb replacement drive? I don't think I'd ever use even close to a 1TB. Also, I'm playing off the disc... I don't think this installs to the HD, so would it be a big factor?

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
9/21/14 2:58 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=8&sel=Detail%3B17_791_47515_47515&cm_re=HardDrives--Spot%2002--Internal%20Drives

It's where I got mine, although it was a brick and mortar store. Any laptop HD will work, so long as it's 2.5 inch. The speed doesn't matter too much, it doesn't have an effect on anything.

Right on the first part is a 500gb for 50 bucks.

Amazon would work as well, same with any electronics store that sells portable HDs.

And a lot of games still install data to the HD to cut down on load times, GT6 is one of them.

I don't use anywhere near the 1tb I have, but I'm using a good bit more than the 120 the system came with. I grabbed it because it was 70 bucks in Delaware and I didn't want to have to worry about space ever. And the price difference isn't even enough to warrant getting anything under 320gb.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
9/21/14 8:51 p.m.

Well, is there anyway to know for sure that its a HD problem before I blow $50 on it?

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
9/21/14 11:47 p.m.

If it doesn't help you can use the drive as backup storage device by buying a USB enclosure for it (they are about $15).

I have one for my old PS drive (after it died).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P3u6JVGy5ZVXUAoRmGmWdWsc4pGLcHR3F6QYUeq59B4Tugrp13YiEgQohXaPERX6