1 2
PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
8/24/14 4:07 p.m.

Looking for some new (to me at least) games. I've picked up a few lately but nothing that's really been one of those "just one more level" games. I've got a 360, PS3, and Wii U so just about anything goes. I like JRPG's in theory but never seem to play them past a few hours. I'm not a huge fan of online games or First Person Shooters. I also prefer stuff that I can play around my young children since most of my playtime is when they're awake.

For inspiration here's a few games that did it for me:

Fallout 3 (I must have racked up 200 hours of playtime)
Skyrim (See above)
GTA V
Simcity
Civilization
The Uncharted Series
The Last of Us
The Forza Series (blows GT out of the water IMO)

What's the story with minecraft? I know it's mega popular but is it worth the $20? What else am I missing out on?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/24/14 4:36 p.m.

I enjoyed most of the same games. Add mass effect to the list for you. All three wete good.

Borderlands 1&2 ate what im playing now. Not as great as fallout, but a good time killer

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/24/14 4:36 p.m.

If you liked GTAV You'd be remiss to not play Saints Row 3. It's hilarious in its spoofing of GTA series, and it's an excellent standalone game. It's also stupid cheap right now. I also liked Crackdown 1 and 2, though 2 was a bit of a letdown due to the fact that it was basically a rehash of 1 with some new crap thrown in. The Arkham series batman games (Asylum and City at least, I've not played origins) are worthy as well. Assassins Creed was pretty good, though it can get repetitive. I actually REALLY dislike FPS's as well, and I really liked Gears of War, and Borderlands. Sunk retarded hours into Borderlands. Think of it as Fallout with way more explosions and loot.

Minecraft.... I have no idea. I've owned it since alpha. You dig, you build, you eat... I'm not really sure what happens. I actually like a little 2d game called Terraria, it's a dig and build, but there's bosses and goals and stuff, and it has coop play, and you can probably get your kids to play it. Another offbeat choice is Scribblenauts. You're given a goal IE- pick the apples. Then you have to create the items you need to pick the apples. Do you want a ladder and a bucket? Do you want a chainsaw? Its up to you, as long as the job gets jobbed. There's two of them on the WiiU, and two more on DS, so have at it.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
8/24/14 4:47 p.m.

World of Tanks. Its an online, which you said you shy away from, but its a hoot and (IMHO) totally appropriate even with the chillens in the room. Info here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/simulation-central/world-of-tanks/84378/page1/

EDIT: Available online for PC or for Xbox 360. There's a few other players from GRM.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
8/25/14 12:16 a.m.

I'd definitely recommend the ultimate edition of Fallout: New Vegas with all the DLC.

I never really got into Minecraft, supposedly it's a LOT more fun on PC rather than the console because of all the user-created content you can grab for it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/25/14 7:41 a.m.

Borderlands 2. On PS3. So you can play with me.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
8/25/14 8:40 a.m.

If you enjoyed The Last of Us, you'll probably like Bioshock Infinite. I thought it was a great game up until the last 30 minutes, where it became amazing.

PS-If you do play it, and love it, don't play the DLCs.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
8/25/14 1:27 p.m.

I'll back up Saints Row 3, New Vegas and Borderlands 2. Buy the ultimate edition of BL2 though.

Kingdoms of Amalur is a pretty good game.

Diablo 3

I know you said no online, but Defiance went free to play and I'm enjoying it right now, beyond needing an internet connection you don't really have to interact with anyone it seems.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/25/14 3:28 p.m.

for minecraft you can download it and try it for free for a while... it's an interesting game but I can't play for long before getting board... if I played online that might change though.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
8/26/14 12:16 p.m.

+1 on Fallout New Vegas.

After finding out I really liked New Vegas and Fallout 3, I bought a used copy of the 1st Borderlands....I like the gameplay quite a bit, but it certainly seems much more geared towards a multiplayer experience.

For instance lets say you go through a certain area, clear it of bad guys.... seems like every time you go through that area, theres a whole mess of guys/creatures to kill again. and again. and again. The game supplies you with enough fun weaponry and ammo to do this, but I found it to be really berkeleying annoying having to shoot my way through areas where I have passed 20x before. I did not get too far into the game before just putting it on the shelf because of that.

I just started playing Bioshock 1 again, so I can complete it and start Bioshock 2, before I pick up Bioshock Infinite. I would definitely classify it (Bioshock 1) as a shooter though and not really nice for little kids to watch.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
8/26/14 12:49 p.m.
nderwater wrote: If you enjoyed The Last of Us, you'll probably like Bioshock Infinite. I thought it was a great game up until the last 30 minutes, where it became amazing.

I actually thought Bioshock Infinite was really, REALLY tired gaming (basically the same game as the other two in the series, just set in the sky) until the last 30 minutes. I didn't see the plot twist coming at all.

It hasn't been listed, but give XCOM: Enemy Unknown a try if you like turn based strategy games. It has the potential to be brilliant, but it has a few small nagging "features" that take some getting used to. Plus the PS3 version is $10 on Amazon

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
8/26/14 6:13 p.m.

+1 on minecraft on a PC, not console. It's amazing on PC, endless free mods, tons of stuff added to the actual game all the time, too, all of which is free, lots of variety in online play. The PC version not only has mods but more actual content than console versions, and I think the price is the same.

You could also try Kerbal Space Program, it's like a sandbox space game (PC only this time, sorry to say). It's very much still in development, though, so there's that.

Also +1 to Diablo 3. A big update is coming soon, too.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
8/26/14 9:51 p.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

The console versions are catching up in terms of content, and one good thing about the console one is that the PC version can bring your system to its knees fairly easily when you start messing with mods.

I have to turn the rain off on one of my modded saves or else the game slows to a crawl.

I have both and I gotta say that even as an older version of the game without an open map, it's still a pretty damn enjoyable time waster. And it still does that really well.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
8/26/14 10:28 p.m.

GTA San Andreas is a good one, GTA V is basically San Andreas 2, last I checked you can buy it on the PS3 game store.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
8/27/14 2:56 p.m.
Racer1ab wrote: I'd definitely recommend the ultimate edition of Fallout: New Vegas with all the DLC.

This +eleventybillion.......plus with his list of games played, he would probably love the Assassin's Creed series. I randomly started playing AC3 awhile back and ended up getting sucked into the world of it and now own them all......

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
8/27/14 3:50 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions! Forgot all about Diablo 3. Lookslike New Vegas and Borderlands need added to the list. I tried the first Assassin's Creed but thought it was way repetitive, have they gotten better since then?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
8/27/14 3:55 p.m.

I got to go with the Mass Effect trilogy. The graphics in the original suck, the game play is decent but 2 and 3 are amazing. I just restarted anoother play through because I like them so much. Great characters, good story etc.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
8/27/14 3:57 p.m.

Infamous 1 & 2 are bargain bin games that are great fun.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
8/28/14 12:10 a.m.

In reply to PubBurgers:

AC3 & 4 are very long games, but entertaining. AC1 & 2 were good but slower paced.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
9/11/14 4:32 p.m.

for nostalgia's sake I just picked up Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary so my friend and I can relive the co-op campaign over xbox live. Think original halo, remastered for 360 on its 10th anniversary in 2011. I have no idea how this slipped past me....probably because I didnt keep up with Halo over the years. Comparison screenshots -> http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive37.pl?read=1088894

And seriously if you like shooter type games and missed the original Halo, what are you doing with your life?

Also picked up Bioshock Infinite.

Got both games used for $25 or so from amazon. Bioshock Infinite was actually cheaper (market flooded with people bored of the game?)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
9/12/14 12:03 a.m.

^ I wish they would release Halo remastered for PC. It's a MUCH better game on PC imo (although still the best of the console shooters).

I love the higher-fidelity graphics, although in a few places, I feel like they went overboard with more detailed textures that don't add anything to the game. Its amazing how well the original has held up for ~13 years.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
9/12/14 9:19 a.m.

Unfortunately online play did not work so well when we tried halo last night. laggy. my connection is bad but some googling is leading us to believe it is a problem for a lot of people even those with solid internet connections.

The game looks great though, looking forward to replaying it again even if it ends up being by myself.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
9/12/14 9:37 a.m.

I still play Street Rod, and Street Rod II. Amazingly addictive.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
9/12/14 10:49 a.m.

I've recently been playing Dishonored. Great game. First-person stealth/assassination game with multiple ways to customize the character and get through any given level. Made by Bethesda - same people who made Skyrim.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/12/14 2:31 p.m.

Another vote for the Borderlands games. Yes, it's a FPS, but give it a shot. Imagine Skyrim in a weird, dystopian/post-apocalyptic environment with lots of humor and tons of different weapons and loot. Like Skyrim, there's a main story to follow (it's really weak in the first game), but you can also tackle tons of side missions. It's also a blast playing co-op with your friends.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V0IrpFTfZi5TqEyPu8MMW7kiwD3Tqm9xmvZIThySdpjhqQ40Pe1vXXo4wkIdZv6o