Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/20 12:05 p.m.

Somehow my 7 year old nephew heard I had a game where you could race cars. He doesn't play games at all. So on Thursday, this happened. 

PlayStation 2 through an HDMI adapter, playing Gran Turismo 4 with a wheel clamped to the table. He was so excited he was squealing and bouncing up and down. He probably played for 4 hours, including a bunch of head to head races with me. 

Sure, it's all old and obsolete and good lord I'd forgotten how many cables there are - but I'd also forgotten how much fun this could be. Especially when you're 7. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/20 12:09 p.m.

I've been playing Mario Kart on the Wii with my daughter. We've had a great time. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/20 6:36 p.m.

That is really cool!!!'  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/1/20 5:50 a.m.

Chances are he'll hang on to that as a great Uncle Keith memory.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
6/3/20 5:08 p.m.

I still have great memories of kicking the sh*t out of all my uncles in Madden, NCAA, daytona usa, cruisin usa, and Mario Andretti racing on Sega or Sony platforms in the late 90s/early 2000s. 

Keith Tanner
6/3/20 7:38 p.m.

He's learning fast. Today we discovered that brakes help a lot. And he has figured out that if he rams Uncle Keith on the last corner, he'll win. Classic Gran Turismo strategy. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/20 5:15 p.m.

You know that Assetto Corsa is on sale on steam 

Keith Tanner
7/5/20 6:48 p.m.

What is this "steam"? What is this "Assetto Corsa"? ;)

I am not a gamer. GT4 was my peak of interest, and Doom/Doom 2 before that. I have Kerbal but haven't fired it up in a couple of years.  All of my computers are fairly old - the newest is 6 years - so I'm not really set up to deal with high end graphics. That's okay, GT4 is as much fun as it ever was.

I was visiting my brother in law today (not the one with kids) and we were discussing the fact that it's difficult to hook his original NES up to his current TV. I am not surrounded by gamers :D

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/5/20 6:56 p.m.

Cool.  I'm so excited for when my son discovers video games.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/5/20 9:47 p.m.

Steam is an online service that you create an account and it allows you to buy games, that then can be downloaded to any computer you log into.  It's a solid service, been around a while.  Check it out, there is a LOT of stuff up there, and they commonly have sales (currently having a sale on driving games).

Assetto Corsa is an older driving sim game (so it works better with older computers).  It still looks very nice.  It has a HUGE amount of extra content out there (cars / tracks) for the PC version.  I am currently learning the ins and outs of it.  It's not really the best for "game" type stuff (career modes etc).  If you love the idea of lapping historic Riverside or Bridgehampton in an RX3, a 60 F1 car or a new Ferrari, this is the one for you. Check out my Assetto Corsa thread to see what I discover and find info on what you can do.

Keith Tanner
7/5/20 10:11 p.m.

I was being sarcastic, sorry. I know of Steam and it's pretty easy to figure out what Assetto Corsa is. I've just found over the years that gaming just doesn't interest me. Since the last time my nephew visited, I haven't bothered to set up the PS2 again. Lapping Trial Mountain in an overpowered TVR is entertaining, but there's always something else I'd rather be doing.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/5/20 10:29 p.m.

Oh, OK.  

Still, you might want to check out BeamNG on Steam.  Someone mentioned they have a son that just loves playing it and crashing into things (maybe not a good life lesson, but fun).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NxzKjD6yMoJ6VOnrDDhPej1HpDKUxRoe1R6oYqmSxlMR5PDrGnOgke5ao5p47Afl