Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/22/20 2:48 p.m.

Spent the first half hour of my work day standing in digital line to get my series x. Sold out in under an hour. Anyone else getting in the next gen train?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/22/20 2:57 p.m.

I'm still torn. I want one, but with no "generation" exclusives for 2 to 3 years on top of being forced to use Seagate SSDs, I'm having a hard time justifying it to myself.

I'm probably going to get one this year or in the spring, but I can't actually say I'm excited for it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/22/20 5:13 p.m.

I was too, but then I impulse bought. Three of us at work were online at the same time getting them- I think we got a total of four. I actually don't even know what games are coming out- but with the way covid and consoles are it might be a solid year before I see it in stores. 

The counterpoint is that the last time I pre-ordered a console, it was a sega dreamcast. We know how that went. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/22/20 5:32 p.m.

I thought about it, but until I buy a game and it shows up with a different name than "Xbox One" on the top of the box, I see no reason to upgrade. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/22/20 8:28 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I thought about it, but until I buy a game and it shows up with a different name than "Xbox One" on the top of the box, I see no reason to upgrade. 

You make a solid argument. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/22/20 8:39 p.m.

Yeah, I don't think there will be a huge improvement over the current versions.   As noted, once the current games dry up and new ones show up, there will be more motivation.  I generally don't get games anywhere near release anyway.  I am pretty patient.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/22/20 8:47 p.m.

Mndsm said:

The counterpoint is that the last time I pre-ordered a console, it was a sega dreamcast. We know how that went. 

Well in good news, Mario 64 was recently ported to Dreamcast.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/22/20 8:50 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Mndsm said:

Well in good news, Mario 64 was recently ported to Dreamcast.

I just bought it for my switch....twice. . . 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/20 10:24 p.m.

Unless there is a driving/racing sim that is a must have my ps4 is going to stay. 

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/25/20 6:52 p.m.

I'm sure I'll end up on the PS5 at some point, but nothing is driving me to either next gen console yet.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/1/20 3:12 p.m.

9 days out and I still don't know what games I'm buying. I was gonna cyberpunk, but that's been delayed. Again. Maybe ac valhalla won't suck. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/1/20 3:25 p.m.

I'm going to jump on the Xbox all access bandwagon

$35/month for console, live, and gamepass ultimate for 24 months.

When I can actually get through the website anyway.

Dirt 5 and Cyberpunk are the only things I'm interested in currently.

I'm going to watch Valhalla, I scored the last AC game with full season pass bullE36 M3 for $20 the Xmas it launched, might get lucky there again. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/1/20 5:17 p.m.

I'm stuck in the past. Recently I got my PS3 out and used it to play PS1 games. Gran Turismo 2 is still pretty fun. And the PS3 baseball game from 2013 is fun, that's the last time the Pirates had any decent players lol.

For as little as I use my Xbox One lately, I can't justify a new console for a while. And most of the games I'd play on console will come out on PC also.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/20 5:22 p.m.

Yeah I'm getting a ps5. My ps4 was one of my better purchases in life. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/20 5:36 p.m.

My RTX 3080 should be here Thursday so that is train I am on. also my VR headset should be here in December.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
11/1/20 6:19 p.m.

I'm still over here trying to beat games on my Super Nintendo classic. The games feel a lot harder, game over was a thing back then. Now you just reset to the last checkpoint 3 minutes ago. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/1/20 6:33 p.m.
MrChaos said:

My RTX 3080 should be here Thursday so that is train I am on. also my VR headset should be here in December.

Coulda bought xbx and ps5 for the price of that monster. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/1/20 6:34 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

I'm still over here trying to beat games on my Super Nintendo classic. The games feel a lot harder, game over was a thing back then. Now you just reset to the last checkpoint 3 minutes ago. 

I've got a couple of those, including the japanese one. Hard mode engaged. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/20 7:33 p.m.

i opted to spend bucks on a new PC rather than deal with consoles right now.

an Xbox may be on my eventual list..

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/2/20 10:06 a.m.

My biggest thing is media. My consoles have served as my media centers and tv machines since the ps3 and the move to blu ray. Even before that I would use my ps2 as my dvd player as opposed to my.. dvd player. I stream media... constantly. I dislike smart tvs- so an all in one solution is ideal, and in my case the gaming is a bonus. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/2/20 10:29 a.m.

I'm still on the PC route.  Actually still rocking a 1070, but probably going to upgrade soon for no particularly good rason.  I will say modern consoles are getting tempting again because they finally have respectable frame rates.

I want the new Atari VCS to be a success, but given the recent details of it, I don't see how it can be.  Its just a low spec PC with a custom Linux build on it, so effectively Steam OS/Steambox all over again.  Does seem to have any good titles attached to it, and anything it plays I can probably just play better on my PC.

Last console I bought was a Genesis Mini.  Its pretty good.  Hard mode engaged for sure.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/2/20 1:19 p.m.

Moving from a GTX1060 to a RTX3080. I could care less about console now that the exclusives are ending up on steam/epic.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/8/20 6:44 a.m.

Welp, it's for real. I have a FedEx tracking number. Game on!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/20 7:07 a.m.

The ps4 decided not to boot up. I thought it was dead. I un plugged it and talked nice to it and then plugged it back in and it seems to be ok. I think this may be a sign. 

We use the PS as a media machine. So purchasing a new one is not really based on gaming but more on having a single point of access to the various streaming services we use. The fact that my PS4 games are supposed to be compatible will be the part that leads me to a PS5 versus another console. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/3/21 7:02 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

wait, they are finally making the PS backwards compatible again? I may have to rethink this.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nSVM3yOZFKGXl57hnWdCfA6ewThX544L2bCQKFbGBHol8yCTsLufLxqjq86AeeZl