1 2 3 ... 9
Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/5/15 3:22 p.m.

Experience a bit of LeMans -

The One Hour and 24 minutes of LeMans at 9:45pm EST on Sat 6/13.

Here are the event rules:

15 minute practice session, 15 minute qualifying session (about 4 laps) followed by a one hour and 24 minute race.(Room set to Practice/Qualify/ Endurance Race)

Any 2000 or newer LeMans prototype car set to a maximum of 670pp with the use of power limiter (maximum reduction to 85%) or oil change/ overhaul (to increase) only. Tires open. Otherwise showroom stock. Room set to NO MODS. Brake bias adjustment is allowed.

ABS allowed, Traction control ALLOWED. (Because they are scary fast and it WILL rain at some point...it is LeMans.

Tire and fuel usage set to fast.

Damage full. Clean racing GRM league passing rules in effect. If you put someone off you must wait for them to re-pass. If you damage someone's car and they have to pit for repairs, you must follow them in and pit as well. Drive clean.

2013 LaSarthe circuit.

Rolling start. We will roll off from a grid start and pace single file for a 6 minute lap. (Race set to 90 minutes) Acceleration for race start can happen after exiting the final chicane before start/finish. Draft high. There will be a 2 lap full course YELLOW FLAG to re-group the field at lap 13. (same 6 minute lap pace)

Mics are allowed and encouraged.

Weather set to changeable. Make sure that you have purchased Inters and Wet tires before starting the race. You will need them! Time advance set to 16x. Race start time 16:00.

Maximum of two of the same type car. Declare in advance. Have an alternate in mind.

Who is in? If you haven't already, you will need to friend request ARR-Argo1 prior to the day of the event to get in the room.

I will post up the list of eligible cars and some preliminary testing results for those who don't have a lot of time to test. That is also why the cars are being run with no mods or tuning. It makes it equal for all.

Post up if you are in. The more the better.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/15 3:36 p.m.

EDIT: I'll take a paintable Pug908.

I'll try and join, child going to bed on time pending.

I'll claim a Toyota Hybrid as my weapon with literally no practice or consistent laps in months.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/15 4:25 p.m.

Argo I am in. I will need a car recommendation. As I am going to be the gentleman driver and arrive and drive.

dean1484
6/5/15 8:40 p.m.

Wait this is next weekend. We can run some practice on sunday if you want.

Argo1
6/5/15 8:56 p.m.

Here are the test results and eligible cars:

Bentley Speed 8 '03 (670pp) Recommended

Audi R8 Race Car - two versions '01 '05 (670pp) Recommended

Pescarolo Courage Judd GV5 '04 (670pp) Recommended. Very quick but worst economy.

Pescarolo Sport Courage C60 Peugeot (670pp) Competitive lap times but hits limiter in top gear.

Peugeot 980 HDi FAP - 3 versions '10 (670pp) Recommended. One version can be painted and numbered.

Audi R10 TDI - 3 versions '06 (662-668pp) Recommended.

Nissan GT-R Nismo '15 (663pp) Recommended.

Audi R18 TDI - 3 versions '11 (633pp) 6-8 seconds off the pace.

Toyota TS030 Hybrid '12 (623pp) 6-8 seconds off the pace.

Zytek Z115N P2 Greaves Motorsports '13 (615pp) 8-10 second off the pace.

All the above cars can do between 5 and 6 laps on fuel. Tire wear is not an issue even with RS tires. Lap times are competitive except as indicated.

Delta Wing Nissan -2 versions '12 '13 (670pp) Are you a gambler? This car can go 12 laps between pit stops and carries less fuel so stops are quicker. It is 18-20 seconds off the pace.

Pescarolo C60 Hybrid - Judd '05 Not eligible (pp too high)

I believe that is all of the eligible cars. Choose your weapon.

dean1484
6/5/15 11:18 p.m.

Ok got some testing in and I am claiming the 908 HDi FAP Base Model '10. Got it painted and numbered 88.

Argo1
6/5/15 11:55 p.m.

I will attempt to tame the manic but thirsty Pescarolo Courage Judd GV5. I like how it sounds at 10,000 rpm.

dean1484
6/5/15 11:58 p.m.

Humm. Delta wing. that one will really be determined by the competition caution.

Argo you do realize I just spent a bunch of time figuring out in and out times as well as liters per second fueling times in RH e pits. I just can not put the crew chief hat away.

Argo1
6/6/15 12:08 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: Humm. Delta wing. that one will really be determined by the competition caution. Argo you do realize I just spent a bunch of time figuring out in and out times as well as liters per second fueling times in RH e pits. I just can not put the crew chief hat away.

And so share your findings....

dean1484
6/6/15 12:21 a.m.

About two liters per second flow in to the tank. And you have about twenty six seconds of in and out time added to the two laps.

Depending on fuel usage the fueling times can varry by as much as thirty seconds on a six lap run. DO this three times and you make up almost a half lap. The problem is at the end and where your final stop falls versus the end of the race. That is going to be a SOB.

dean1484
6/6/15 6:15 a.m.

What I found out is that it is very important to get a car that the hp and torque curves match your driving style. It is also helpful to have a car that drops the least amount of speed when you have to go into fuel savings mode.

Over-all speed is great but ease of driving is going to be most important. One bobble. One momentary laps in concentration and you just barley drop a tire and you are heading off track towards a wall.

Also Mudd and I were testing together and you have to be really carful about bump drafting or bumping people as it will damage your car and there car and that means a pit stop. Things don't mend up like we are use to in the Sunday and Wednesday series. Because of this PRACTICE IS A MUST. Don't take your breakpoints to the limit. Don't take your cornering or pass attempts to the limit. The down side is HUGE. It takes a little bit of mental re training to get this. Otherwise you will ruin your race as well as someone else's. 9/10s will always be the better choice.

One thing you have to train your self to do is brake early and then if needed roll deeper in to the corner especially if you are the following car. The earlier braking will obviously give a bigger safety margin and rolling deeper will allow you to close up the gap of the safety margin you gave your self and allow you to get power down sooner.

One last point I would like to stress is there really is NO NEED FOR PASSING GOING IN TO CORNERS. With the draft settings and the draft characteristic's of these cars you have no need to do it. A note to those being passed. Yes you have one move but be very careful using it as the closing speeds in the draft are huge. Unless it is the last strait on the last lap you will pass them back on the next strait. You may even pass them back on the same strait. Double draft passes are possible depending on the cars involved.

My best lap last night was a 3:40xx in the 908. I am choosing it because of ease of driving and again how the hp and torque curves work with my driving style.

BradLTL
6/6/15 9:15 a.m.

Ok, the no mods rule. I would like to change aero, brakes, gearing and suspension settings. Running a high downforce configuration at LeMans is not something anyone would do IRL.

Re: bump drafting. This is real racing not nascar, no bump drafting.

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
6/6/15 10:15 a.m.

This sounds like fun. I'll use the Pescarolo Sport Courage-Judd GV5 '04. The frequent stops may help my hands make it to the end . . . or maybe not.

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
6/6/15 10:30 a.m.

In reply to Argo1:

You said that "tire wear is not an issue even with RS tires". Does that mean that even RS tires should last 5-6 laps? Anyone else know the answer to this question?

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
6/6/15 11:35 a.m.

05 Audi R8

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/6/15 11:42 a.m.

I might also suggest the punt damage courtesy rule. You punt and damage someone, you follow them into the pits, even if you are not damaged. I believe Grae pioneered this practice. It basically serves as a stop and go penalty.

I suspectt there will not be much close racing after a lap or two though.

Argo1
6/6/15 12:17 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: Ok, the no mods rule. I would like to change aero, brakes, gearing and suspension settings. Running a high downforce configuration at LeMans is not something anyone would do IRL. Re: bump drafting. This is real racing not nascar, no bump drafting.

Agreed. NO BUMP DRAFTING. It will cause damage at best or a wild 200mph crash at worst.

NO MODS sticks. Brake bias only. Find a stock car you like.

Argo1
6/6/15 12:19 p.m.
aircooled wrote: I might also suggest the punt damage courtesy rule. You punt and damage someone, you follow them into the pits, even if you are not damaged. I believe Grae pioneered this practice. It basically serves as a stop and go penalty. I suspectt there will not be much close racing after a lap or two though.

YES. The follow into the pits rule is in the main rules at the top.

Joining us Air?

The two competition yellow flags are strategic to keep the field on the same lap and promote interesting racing.

Argo1
6/6/15 12:20 p.m.

In reply to Graefin10:

Yes Grae, the RS tires will last a full stint. LeSarthe is fast but not hard on tires.

BradLTL
6/6/15 1:38 p.m.
Argo1 wrote: NO MODS sticks. Brake bias only. Find a stock car you like.

I agree to additions (turbos, etc) but not allowing setup changes doesn't seem right. In that case the internet tells me that the Speed8 is hands down the best in the default setup.

Plus with a draft high setting we will run out of gearing on the straights.

Argo1
6/6/15 2:12 p.m.
Graefin10 wrote: This sounds like fun. I'll use the Pescarolo Sport Courage-Judd GV5 '04. The frequent stops may help my hands make it to the end . . . or maybe not.

Grae- What version do you have: The #17 Green mirrors and roll bar or #18 Red mirrors and roll bar. I will run the other one. If you haven't purchased yet buy the #18.

Argo1
6/6/15 2:14 p.m.
BradLTL wrote:
Argo1 wrote: NO MODS sticks. Brake bias only. Find a stock car you like.
I agree to additions (turbos, etc) but not allowing setup changes doesn't seem right. In that case the internet tells me that the Speed8 is hands down the best in the default setup. Plus with a draft high setting we will run out of gearing on the straights.

So choose the Speed 8. It is available. It actually has no real advantage over the others. We will test after Sunday night to finalize draft and room settings.

Argo1
6/6/15 2:51 p.m.

Minor changes made to rules/ room package based on room and weather testing. Main one is to buy rain tires before starting the race otherwise you won't have that option in the pits!

dean1484
6/6/15 3:06 p.m.

Unless you all have tested in the draft at this track with various cars to learn what and how they work hold your comments. Yes some cars will run out of gear while killing it on fuel millage and absolutely ruel the third sector of the track. Others will ware the tires more than others. This is much more about thinking and calculating and strategy than out rite speed. This is the type of racing I did in real life as crew chief and very rarely did the fastest car win. The winner was the best managed car. Same goes for this game.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/6/15 4:16 p.m.
Argo1 wrote: ...Joining us Air?...

Possibly. I will be a mostly unprepared drop in most likely. I will probably do a Delta Wing (because it's weird) if I do. Feel free to pick a car for me and I will make sur to buy it beforehand in case I show.

My limited experience with weather settings is that unless it is set to 100% it will eventually just settle back to clear (never going to full rain). You might want to experiment a bit with it.

1 2 3 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cZ2R2FIb5KXjX3lQpus9AE6cLO8RKb30a70mGoShketnTtak14aLMkpchdUFsyTA