1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
slowbird
slowbird Reader
9/8/19 5:56 p.m.

This thread reminded me to play some more of the PC version, it's been a while. TBH I think I forget about it sometimes because I followed it since very early in it's "early access" phase, when it was a completely different game engine I think, and was just two cars and two tracks. At one point some of the fans of the game were giving up and thinking that it was never going to be finished. And given how long they took to put out updates, I was starting to believe that too. But in the end I think it's a fun and frantic game, albeit still with flaws, like most games.

I really like watching replays of my races and getting cool screenshots though.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
9/9/19 12:25 a.m.

Interesting...  Out of curiosity, I turned on TCS after 15 failed attempts to get the RV by wrecking three other RV’s.  First attempt with it on?  5 wrecked, finishing 1st as well.  I just don’t get this game sometimes.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/9/19 12:30 p.m.

I've been hesitant to pick this one up. Though wrecking Rico and Tom sounds fun. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/9/19 12:48 p.m.

I'm still stuck on the pro tour, tier 4.I I've been changing settings, changing cars, adjusting tunes, and I've been getting and staying ahead, then getting decimated within 100 yards of the finish. I need 400 more points to unlock world and just can't seem to survive long enough to earn them. 

I have been running custom games though trying to make some money and level up a bit, and those get fun quick. 60 lap race in crash canyon, everything set at hardest even manual with clutch and realistic damage. Grab a school bus, set the ai to sofa cars, and earn 25k xp and 2000 cash within 4 laps, when everyone else wrecks out crash yourself to end. The school bus doesn't like the death loop, which is a little upsetting. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/9/19 1:23 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

I've been hesitant to pick this one up. Though wrecking Rico and Tom sounds fun. 

Only this time, its expected. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/10/19 10:02 a.m.

As someone else noted, creating a lightweight car seems to be useful in some races (get ahead and stay ahead).  For courses with crossovers and head on spots, that can get a bit dicey.

I do wish the classing system was a bit more clear.  It does not seem to be to complicated (a few different classes, regions and performance points), but an overview of what is going on would be nice.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
9/14/19 8:33 a.m.

I really like the "Wingman" car ('60 Caddilac). I've actually won an online race with it despite it being B class (I haven't unlocked the A-class engine yet). I'm still a little irked with the excessive loading times (maybe it's me?) but I can't stop having fun with this game. It's like the perfect combination of racing and destruction. Every race is like a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book. Turn to page 13 to race clean. Turn to page 76 to PIT this guy into the tire barrier.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
9/14/19 8:36 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I can't remember where I read it, but the classing system is ENTIRELY power to weight, if that helps.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/14/19 11:52 a.m.

OK thanks.

Some of the races seem to show national restrictions, but that might be the track.  I did notice that you can move a car in and out of qualifications by swapping parts.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
9/14/19 12:42 p.m.

I've noticed that the car region restrictions aren't always accurate.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/14/19 11:53 p.m.

I just got past a race I was stuck on and I think it is a good example of what this game is about. It’s the race you race one on one with a faster car (well I at least was stuck in that weird rear engined nose high Fiat thing) .

After trying fruitlessly to keep up with the clearly faster car, I finally realized the first two corners just had tires to keep you from cutting them and soon also realized if I dropped down the gearing and cut the first corner I could get beside the faster car and force it into the wall in the second corner.  It then became a race to see if I could finish before he caught up.  Of course if he did, thankfully he was not super aggressive and would not try to spin me out,, so more wall for him!

Anyway, interesting game that rewards “creative” approaches to the problems presented.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/16/19 12:48 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Ah yes, the killer bee. That one took me a couple tries. I would aim for the tire stack at T1 the first lap and make sure to hit him soon after before he could get a lead. If you wreck him good enough you just end up driving around with him somewhere behind you until the race ends. Of course, I have been playing on whatever they call the easiest difficulty.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/16/19 12:54 p.m.

I should ask: Does the console version offer mod support? If not, then it's probably going to be a computer purchase for me.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/16/19 1:40 p.m.

It does not now, and I would suspect it would be highly unlikely to ever.  I don't even know how you would implement any mods. 

They are planning various updates / additions (8?) though which include cars, mods.  Three have been confirmed and include weird rough copies of:  58 Caddy, VW bug, 32 Ford, 70's BMW.  These might be avaialbe for PC's already:

RevRico
9/16/19 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Jordan Rimpela :

Not yet, but they have mentioned looking into it in the past. Getting the console release was the first big hurdle. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
9/16/19 4:44 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I literally punted fiat guy over the wall on one of my attempts and he still managed to catch me and sneak around as I screwed up the last corner.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/16/19 6:25 p.m.

I don't get it. There's only been a handful of races I've had a problem with, wtf am I doing different? 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
9/17/19 12:56 p.m.

So, it seems the first DLC is out.  I installed it, but have yet to find my Buggy (VW Beetle), Bumper Car, or Wingman (‘59 Caddy).

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/17/19 1:48 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I don't get it. There's only been a handful of races I've had a problem with, wtf am I doing different? 

I think you need to have a certain mind set when playing this game.  Just racing, like you might in GT will only get you so far and is wholly inappropriate is some situations.  E.g. just hanging back a bit and letting everyone else turn themslves into chunks of smoking metal is a viable tactic sometimes (actually, that is pretty similar to many online racing games devil)

I am currently working with the "fast and lightly armored, blast ahead and stay ahead" tactic, but do want to try out the "heavy and destroy everything in the first corner" tactic at some point.

BTW- I think I figured out a basic characteristic of the AI.  You can generally abuse them at the start of the race, but oh boy, you best watch out towards the end!  Even someone you haven't touched the entire race will take you and them out for seemingly no reason!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/17/19 3:24 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I definitely don't race as cleanly as I could, but I try and burn ahead of the pack as soon as possible. I almost wonder if it's not tied to how your cars are built- all of my cars save one are absolutely and 100% stock. Buy, race, win. The mods don't do much for me except visually- so I don't use em. 

RevRico
9/17/19 6:32 p.m.
racerfink said:

So, it seems the first DLC is out.  I installed it, but have yet to find my Buggy (VW Beetle), Bumper Car, or Wingman (‘59 Caddy).

I hit the dlc store link and it brought up the install option.

Edit: misread your post, haven't actually checked for the cars yet myself. Nope, can't find them either.

Double edit: I need mods or cheats or something. No matter what I do in these 6 and 8 event races in tier 4 I'm just getting screwed. Stay mid pack all race if I'm lucky, then magically get passed by 4 people I was 5 seconds ahead of right before the finish line. It's not even fun anymore, just frustrating.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
9/18/19 1:12 a.m.

Seems the DLC cars are not usable in career mode.  What the hell?!?

I found this game much more enjoyable when I gave much more than received.  I pretty much never lift off the gas until I’m in the lead.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
9/18/19 10:47 a.m.

And today, I can use DLC in career...  

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
9/19/19 2:55 p.m.

My garage is complete, for now.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/19/19 3:14 p.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to aircooled :

I definitely don't race as cleanly as I could, but I try and burn ahead of the pack as soon as possible. I almost wonder if it's not tied to how your cars are built- all of my cars save one are absolutely and 100% stock. Buy, race, win. The mods don't do much for me except visually- so I don't use em. 

The motor upgrade definitely have an effect.  You can double the HP in most cars.  Adding armor of course slows them down.  I don't think tires (rims) have any effect.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cfQYlFfEu7v4Qmh97OcYvxNhSSUIjGEQtfT4DvOVfaNxcc0kJk85Je5YTaoPGimz