ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
11/20/15 8:44 a.m.

My PS3 is gone because thieves. I need a new multi-purpose box. I do the following:

1) Stream Hulu, Netflix, Amazon prime 2) Watch DVDs/Blu-Rays 3) Play games

In that order.

So basically, which is the better set-top box? I'm not tied to any gaming franchise. I'd like to lean toward PS4 because its a more powerful system, but I struggle so much with aiming the berkeleying PS3 controller that I can't stand to play 1/2 the games on it anyway.

Do you still have to have an xbox live subscription to watch Netflix?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/20/15 9:10 a.m.

You do not need xbl gold for Hulu and whatnot

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
11/20/15 9:35 a.m.

Yeah I prefer the Xbox controller. Xbox one just got a big update to a new and better user interface. In addition they added backwards compatibility for xbox 360 games. These days if you do want to game online I've been seeing 12mo gold come up for ~$30 every other week if you know where to shop. I use mine for all the things you listed and I'm quite happy with it.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
11/20/15 9:50 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

Aren't the two consoles virtually identical hardware wise?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
11/20/15 10:54 a.m.

They are very similar, but not identical. The PS4 does play @ higher frame rates/higher detail vs. the Xbox one. Frame rates I care about very much when gaming, detail not as much.

Its not enough that it would be a deciding factor. I am a member of the PC Master Race, and any hardcore gaming will be done on my desktop, not a lowly console. I do love snagging bargain bin console games once in a while and playing them though. I enjoyed all 3 Uncharted, Infamous 1 + 2, and a few other games this way recently. I had a very difficult time with the PS3 controller for all of those games though :( Sadly I have some unopened PS3 games sitting around that I probably will not get a chance to play.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
11/20/15 12:42 p.m.

Just purchased an XB1 about a week ago, after almost flipping a coin between the Big Two. Star Wars Battlefront (which I bought yesterday) is on both, and both have decent car games, I have Netflix as an app on my Smart TV, so it was a serious toss-up.

Have to admit I'm liking Forza 6, and SWB will consume some time this weekend. 360 compatibility with the two games I bought for ex-SWMBO's system sweetens the deal.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
11/20/15 12:50 p.m.

I will admit, despite owning GT-GT5, I find Forza to be a better game. Its simply more fun. I usually refer to GT as "Load Turismo" because you spend more time loading tracks or in the menus than you ever spend racing. I'm not sure I would buy either for whatever system I get though. At least not until they are sitting in the bargain bin.

If I play SWB, it will be on my PC, because PC Master Race.

I do have to replace my TV as well, but I've never found a Smart TV interface that was any good. The PS3 interface seems way better. That said, looking for TVs today, I'm having a hell of a time finding a dumb TV. The TV that was taken was: 1080p, 120Hz, 46". I'd like to find an equivalent that is 50-55", but everything is "Smart" now. And possibly 4K ($$$). And many are only 60Hz.

WOW Really Paul?
11/20/15 11:20 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

Samsung has perhaps the easiest smart tv interface I've found, yet I'm still gaming on a plasma, because 600hz refresh rates are better than any LED/LCD tv I've found.

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock UltimaDork
11/21/15 12:24 a.m.

XBOX IS THE DEVIL!!!

WOW Really Paul?
11/23/15 3:36 p.m.
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock wrote: PC IS THE DEVIL!!!

FTFY!!!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/23/15 3:59 p.m.

THe Vizio in hte Living room is a 60" smart tv. Interface is extremely easy to use, even my wife (who barely understands modern convienences like a flip-phone) knows how to use and operate it.

AS for consoles, I've been a PS fanboi. I won't lie. Xbone held no interest for me and I'm not a Halo fan so.... yeah. Sure I miss out on Forza but racing games were never really that big for me.

WOW Really Paul?
11/23/15 4:36 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

If you had gone Xbox you wouldn't spend half the time you had the console on updating.....

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/23/15 5:00 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: If you had gone Xbox you wouldn't spend half the time you had the console on updating.....

In all honesty I think Ive updated it 3 times since I got it? Game updates were more common.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/23/15 5:01 p.m.

No, hed just spend it collecting all the free games. We get.mm4 a month now?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
96Ob9TIjo1Ri3w1wgRipAdH2bd1XajPPK6NetAls4Crw4Js9qCJaky6ch45TvMCd