Joshua
Joshua Dork
1/30/17 1:11 a.m.

Hey guys, it's been a while...

I recently came into possession of a free 1985 Honda Aero (pics to come). I have no history on the vehicle as it was abandoned for junk when I got it. The last tag on the license plate expired in 2000, and it's covered in a super thick layer of that sticky garage storage dust.

The bike is physically in good condition (odometer: 1675 mi) other than a splitting seat and a missing trim piece or two. The right brake lever is very gummy but the left feels solid. My initial idea was to buy a new ignition and battery, then replace the fluids in the motor and see if it will turn over. Is this a bad idea with an old 2 stroke?

Teach me what I need to know about these little guys :)

Cheers,
Joshua

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
1/30/17 2:22 a.m.

Clean the carb and fuel system, make sure there's oil in the oil injection tank, add a battery and hit the start button. I think the air filter is a foam sheet that probably needs a new one. Brakes will need the cables freed up an oiled, or possibly replaced. There are no fluids to change other than the final drive oil, if you like you can start it on premix and/or pour some oil down the plug hole.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
1/30/17 9:18 a.m.

Check here, a good place to start: http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/index.php

There's an Elite specific area, also: http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=44&sid=f1a02e4951b623bd7c87b0a7e95f6a06

Joshua
Joshua Dork
2/2/17 1:39 a.m.

Awesome! Thank you for the info and resources guys! I just ordered a new battery, carb cleaner, oil, and brake cleaner. Hopefully it'll be running in a week! I'll post updates as they come.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/17 8:10 a.m.

Clean the grounds and fuse connections with emery cloth or a wire brush.

AquaHusky
AquaHusky HalfDork
2/25/17 9:47 a.m.

You need to also make sure the pump for the two stoke oil is primed and the lines are filled. I'd do as BrokenYugo has suggested and run premix through it first just to be safe.

Edit:Fixed typo

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0QPgweEKc5HamxuY8TeWQnO4KVvZDyAIRS7M5Ap3QALIrhPV1Vx155TeyFrSTbFO