Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
4/15/12 8:19 p.m.

" you dont think a helmet works walk through the woods with eyes closed and see how that feels then tell me would want to do that any type of speed."

rotard
rotard HalfDork
4/15/12 10:43 p.m.

I always tell people to fall down while running as fast as they can on pavement, then imagine that happening at even 20mph.

drmike
drmike Reader
4/16/12 12:47 a.m.

In reply to rotard: Yes, I use a similar analogy. Run as fast as you can across the road, take a flying leap onto the concrete, and slide head-first into the curb. Ouch.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
4/16/12 9:57 a.m.

Problem is, the helmet only protects your head...

rotard
rotard HalfDork
4/16/12 10:28 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Problem is, the helmet only protects your head...

It's all about weighing risks. Commuting in a one-piece race suit would suck. Gloves that provide real protection are thick and uncomfortable. Boots that provide real protection aren't really too bad, but can suck to walk around in when you reach your destination. Chest protectors and back protectors are uncomfortable. I can certainly understand the desire to not want to wear them. Wearing all this stuff makes you hot and sweaty when you reach your destination.

Riding in a t-shirt and jeans on a beautiful day is a wonderful feeling. In my younger and stupider days, I would usually just wear a helmet. The gloves I wore probably wouldn't have held up very well in anything more than a tip-over.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
4/16/12 12:05 p.m.

I am a most of the gear, all the time. I have a full suit as well as leather pants that zip into my jackets and some race boots, but I still wear jeans (usually Icon Recon motorcycle jeans, but with no armor) and Alpinestars high top riding shoes.

I have fallen so many times at the track that I can not ride with out a jacket and gloves. I never ride without a helmet.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
4/16/12 2:12 p.m.
rotard wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Problem is, the helmet only protects your head...
It's all about weighing risks. Commuting in a one-piece race suit would suck. Gloves that provide real protection are thick and uncomfortable. Boots that provide real protection aren't really too bad, but can suck to walk around in when you reach your destination. Chest protectors and back protectors are uncomfortable. I can certainly understand the desire to not want to wear them. Wearing all this stuff makes you hot and sweaty when you reach your destination. Riding in a t-shirt and jeans on a beautiful day is a wonderful feeling. In my younger and stupider days, I would usually just wear a helmet. The gloves I wore probably wouldn't have held up very well in anything more than a tip-over.

Modern textile gear is pretty amazing. I've got a one-piece suit that flowed a ton of air, offered CE armor, and from other's crashes seemed to hold up well.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
4/16/12 6:31 p.m.

Textile Jacket with CE armor + riding reinforced jeans + Rocket boots = ride safe and walk around without much issue . . .

rotard
rotard HalfDork
4/16/12 8:16 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: Textile Jacket with CE armor + riding reinforced jeans + Rocket boots = ride safe and walk around without much issue . . .

And, you've traded some protection for comfort with that combination. Some people choose to trade even more protection for more comfort.

oobert
oobert New Reader
4/17/12 8:13 a.m.

Just took a small spill last week. Nobody else around, tires were cold. Entered a turn too fast, tried to correct with braking due to a light change, and the bike just slammed me into the ground. Only going about 20 mph, broke my forearm, and my helmet got all scratched up. Only thing I wasn't wearing was motorycle pants.

bike has minimal damage. blinkers and frame slider damaged on the right side. Also there is a dent.

helmet all scratched up. I received 2 stitches in my chin.

broke my radius. Probably from holding onto the handlebars.

Leather alpinestars jacket probably helped my shoulder, wouldn't do much for my arm, but that's not what the jacket is for. The helmet saved my face from getting all jacked up.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
4/17/12 3:38 p.m.

Sounds exactly like what JUST happened to me, except for the broken arm stuff.

rotard
rotard HalfDork
4/17/12 6:37 p.m.

It's good that you're relatively alright. Are you going to keep riding?

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Reader
4/17/12 6:42 p.m.

Damn that's a nice break.

Most of the gear all of the time here. Helmet, armored gloves, really heavy leather jacket, high-top leather boots. Really oughta get some dedicated riding pants... and maybe some under-jacket armor...

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
4/18/12 8:44 a.m.
rotard wrote:
Strike_Zero wrote: Textile Jacket with CE armor + riding reinforced jeans + Rocket boots = ride safe and walk around without much issue . . .
And, you've traded some protection for comfort with that combination. Some people choose to trade even more protection for more comfort.

I do have some riding overpants with CE Armor as well. I do need to get a better back protector for my jacket. The one that Joe Rocket has standard is flimsy.

I took a ride the other day out the driveway to next cul de sac (maybe 100 yds) without gear on and I felt . . . nakkid . . . I don't know how those guys ride at interstate speeds in Wife beaters, shorts, flops and shades.

In reply to oobert:

Ouch . . . but based on the circumstances, that's better than the alternative. Wishes for a speedy recovery!!

oobert
oobert New Reader
4/18/12 11:29 a.m.
rotard wrote: It's good that you're relatively alright. Are you going to keep riding?

Thanks! and yes, I'm going to keep riding.

Insurance gave me a good chunk for bike repairs and I have enough vicodin to get over what happened. I'm not scared off yet, but definitely going to stick with wearing most gear.

it definitely could have been worse. I've already seen so many guys riding without a helmet since the law passed. People are crazy stupid.

4eyes
4eyes Dork
4/27/12 6:35 p.m.

Since I started riding again last October, I have noticed what other motorcyclists are wearing in my area. T-shirt, jeans, and boots are what the cruiser riders wear, that's 75 % of the riders here, another 20% ride sportbikes in the same thing except substitute tennis shoes for the boots.

The other 5% are pretty much ATGATT.

Me, I wear a full-face helmet, heavy leather jacket w/aftermarket armor, armored leather gloves, jeans and steel toe engineer boots.

Reinforced motorcycle jeans with pads, and motorcycle boots are going to be my next purchase.

If I never hear the term, "debriedment procedure" again it will be too soon.

Of course, back in the '70s I was riding around Lake Tenkiller in cut-offs and a smile.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/4/12 4:51 a.m.

Soooo, when I was 8 my brother and I had this awesome idea of pushing each other down this really bendy, steep, downhill, gravel driveway in our little red wagon (like radio flier style). We had 3-wheelers at the time and thus had random helmets from random garage sales.

Long story short(er) we dumped the wagon at full speed around a bend and slid the next eternity on our heads. I remember thinking 2 things:

1) that would have hurt a lot worse without a helmet 2) Jeeze, with what we've got on (t-shirt and shorts) it would have hurt a lot worse if we had slid on any other body part...

I wear full face helmets, and full riding gear. Even on my 50cc Derbi GPR.

But that's just me...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lnrbDoZCwcfFQ5QQNigo7lM4nskMlR28TUkwXILsXf1ze5pllLlZSeYsaqhbCMno