Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
9/28/15 4:51 p.m.

I've got a italjet torpedo 50cc scooter (air cooled) with a dellorto 12mm carb. amazingly reliable except for cold starting (takes long time to start cold). It has some fancy electric choke on it that I think may / may not be working. Its either the choke or the DC to the choke....

Question is when is the choke powered? Key on? Running? I'm thinking this is a slow moving actuator that pushes on the plunger and closes off the choke circuit once the engine is running. Of course I pulled the carb off before I checked the voltage.

Wiring diagrams (or any technical info) is pretty sporadic for these but I figure its probably similar to most 50cc scoots.

thx

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
9/28/15 7:38 p.m.

If its like Chinese scooters the choke (enrichment circuit) is open when it is off, and slowly closes when 12v power is applied, and it stays applied while running. It's not that much unlike a car carburetor choke. I'm pretty sure it has a thermocouple. During a hot restart the choke should be mostly closed, and close off quickly once it is running.

Do you know what model carburetor it uses? I get most of my Chinese bike stuff from amazon, and haven't been let down yet, I'll bet most of those parts will work on your italiajet too.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
9/28/15 7:43 p.m.

I worked on my neighbors old Chinese scooter for her last year. It was also a choke related issue. I got it running and then she sold it. What HappyAndy says sounds right to me. I remember there were all sorts of YouTube videos with how to's for scooters plus scooter forums, but I don't recall the details of how it worked.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
9/29/15 1:02 p.m.

Its a dellorto phva 12 carb. Choke is below. Now that I have it apart, I see that the plastic piece that holds the brass needle assy is broken. It kind of holds it in place and may or may not be the problem. I did verify that the choke slowly (ever so slowly) moves but I think the broken piece may allow the choke to remain closed.

Stock picture hotlink

thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Sr7VdFe45ZHtFvIUHOX5KrDiI3I0fPQhCBGjhlIMX3QU4kGmIKAIaN1KOltvxaOq