16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
6/2/14 2:47 p.m.

My sister in law wants a motorcycle. I don't think she's ever ridden one, but she has lived in several south-east Asian countries, so she's driven the crap out of some scooters. It will mainly be used to commute to work and back in LA, and just needs to work without any hassle, be fast enough to keep up with traffic, and fit her comfortably. Just guessing, but I'd say she's about 5'8" and 115 lbs. I already gave her a couple suggestions, but I'm curious to see what the hive thinks. What would you suggest?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/14 2:50 p.m.

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/crf250l/street.aspx

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/2/14 2:53 p.m.

Are we talking Highway use? Standard? Cruiser? Sport bike?

I'd say to look at Honda Rebels, Honda CBR250s, Ninja 250/300s, Suzuki GZ250s, or Suzuki TU250s to start.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
6/2/14 2:55 p.m.

I just sold a Yamaha XT250. It was a GREAT bike, but totally meant for someone her size. If she doesn't need 70+ mph then it will have zero trouble with traffic. It is built like a tractor so maintenance it just about nil. Seriously, dual sport is a great way to go because of the light weight, and WHEN she drops it, it will more than likely survive with little to no damage. Also 71 mpgs!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/2/14 2:56 p.m.

I'd agree, most of the lighter bikes with a Honda badge should work.

I'd also consider the Yamaha SR400 if she can deal with it being kickstart only.

Of course, the answer from SE Asia is Honda C90.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
6/2/14 3:05 p.m.

I really don't know what her normal commute is like, but I think there is some highway driving. Also I should note, I think she's looking to spend $4k or less, and used is fine.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/2/14 3:30 p.m.

Does she know anybody out her way who knows their way around a used motorcycle and can figure out if it's in good shape or not?

I seem to find more problems with used bikes than used cars, and I'm rather good at finding issues with cars...

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
6/2/14 3:37 p.m.

I totally recommend a turbo Hayabusa. Anything less and you won't be able to get yourself out of trouble, should any occur.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/2/14 3:37 p.m.

I would consider one of those big Scooter things. Honda Forza?

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
6/2/14 3:38 p.m.

Buell Blast. $2000-2500 should get a very nice, low mile one...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
6/2/14 5:02 p.m.

Suzuki GS500. Strong enough to do real motorcycle stuff, but not so powerful that a competent novice will get in over their head. She could probably buy 2 really nice ones and still be under budget. Also easy & cheap to maintain . I'm far from a novice, and I don't wouldn't mind having one around.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
6/2/14 11:10 p.m.

Yeah, if she is going to be using this on L.A. freeways, and already has experience on scooters, I'd be looking at some sort of 500 or maybe 650.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
6/3/14 9:57 a.m.

KLR 250 with some more street friendly tires? I'd probably say a 250cc or so dual sport would be a good fit. Good sight lines, tons of plastic in case it gets dropped and I think you could probably lower it if its still too tall for her. Also, i'd think cheap buy in, good mpg's.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
6/3/14 11:11 a.m.

In reply to HappyAndy:

This or the big bore scooters are probably the best advice in here thus far. The single thumper dual sports traditionally don't enjoy sustained highway travel....the 250-300 class of sport bikes, and the SV & Ninja 650's should also be considered.

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/18/14 3:24 p.m.

Around LA, being able to get to 70 isn't enough. Traffic often runs at 80. She needs to be able to accelerate firmly from 70. I'd go bigger than 250.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/18/14 3:58 p.m.

No one has said turbo Hyabusa yet have they?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
6/18/14 4:34 p.m.

Maybe.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/19/14 7:43 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Suzuki GS500. Strong enough to do real motorcycle stuff, but not so powerful that a competent novice will get in over their head. She could probably buy 2 really nice ones and still be under budget. Also easy & cheap to maintain.

My niece has a GS500 just like in the photo and it works well for her. The seat height is low enough for shorter people, too.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
6/19/14 11:21 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: No one has said turbo Hyabusa yet have they?

heck, my buddy dailys his Muzzys turbo 10r to work.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
6/19/14 12:04 p.m.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say BMW G series. They can be lowered pretty well, they run forever and you can get them with ABS under 4K.

the G Moto is a fun bike and with a shaved seat and the suspension set low she would be able to ride that quite well.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/19/14 12:35 p.m.

Preferably one with a coffin for a seat. That would make the funeral more convenient.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
6/19/14 11:39 p.m.

swmbo's first bike was a honda crf230l, very light, easy power delivery, 100mpg, 6 speed trans, low seat hight, cheap insurance, and best of all you can learn to ride in the dirt, then once you've mastered the dynamics of riding in the dirt, you can move on to the street where all the stupid people will try to kill you (instead of learning bike control and clutch etc. with them trying to kill you)

skierd
skierd Dork
6/23/14 12:21 p.m.

If she can handle the height, any of the 250-400cc dual sports are a great choice for an urban commuter bike, especially the supermoto versions.

Otherwise, I'd be thinking hard about one of the new Honda 500's, a 300 Ninja, or a KTM 390 or 690 Duke. The SR400 is a cool little bike too, and the Sportster and Bonneville are good bikes if she wants some style to go with her commute.

bravenrace wrote: Preferably one with a coffin for a seat. That would make the funeral more convenient.

Well that's a helpful reply.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WtpUaXlJHMPKzxZnQoKdglIK0DOgdiUSpYDfI7QFuifgtq1GAV8wQirzUB4M4o2I