1 2 3 4
octavious
octavious Reader
7/9/14 8:47 a.m.

Basic question So I am interested in DD'ing to and from work via motorcycle. I'm looking for tips, pros, cons, bike choices. I'm a newbie.

Secondary question Tips for getting the better half on board. I will wear a helmet and gear when I ride. But other tips would be helpful.

My Commute My commute is about 20 miles on way if I go on the interstate/highway with just a few stoplights. One section of this commute is a 4 lane road with stoplights, and then 17 miles or so of interstate.
The other option, and the one I like more, is 26 miles if I go the windy twisty backroad way. This way is a small stint of interstate and then all two lane backroads with just business driveways no residence driveways.

Weather I live in Knoxville TN, we have pretty good weather I think. Warm and muggy summer, cooler fall, cold winter with few snow days, and beautiful spring. We get all four seasons, but if anything I would call our winters mild.

Riding Experience I have been on 4 wheelers, manual and automatic, on and off for a few years. I took the motorcycle safety course about 10 years ago. I have NO real world road riding experience.

Longer Background There is no issue with my DD vehicle 02 Jeep Wrangler or my fun car the 76 911. This is just because I am interested in possibly commuting via motorcycle. I'll still be a "cager" as I have seen the term on other sites. This all started because I was thinking about getting a beater car due to the Jeep is getting 16-18MPG. But the cars I was looking at for $2500 or less, all look pretty crappy, and just look BORING. If I have to commute I want it to be in something I like to drive.

Then I thought why not a motorcycle? Good MPG, fun to ride, should go well with the weather we have here. So I started looking at motorcycles. I don't like Harley's, Goldwings, cruisers or anything really that style. I do like sportbikes, naked bikes, and touring bikes. I like enduro bikes but don't really need/want one.

I saw a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R and realized I have no clue if that would even work for what I want to do. So I figured I'd turn to the GRM brain trust.

Thanks

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
7/9/14 9:03 a.m.

Start by retaking the MSF course.

Good on you for planning to wear gear. Don't forget to factor the cost of that into your expenses for the bike. It will cost you more than you think. Figure $500-$800 to fully outfit yourself properly (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants).

Your two commute options sound like pretty straitforward and relatively safe rides. Intersections are the biggest danger zones. It is still relatively hazardous. I don't really know how to sway the better half if she isn't already. Maybe have her take the MSF course with you.

Bike choices: there's lots of good ones. Commuting 20 miles on freeways, I might be a little bit worried about only having a 250cc bike, but wouldn't want to jump strait up into something that can get you in trouble as a beginner. Something in the 500 or 650cc range (not a 600) might be a good choice if you feel confident after finishing the MSF course.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
7/9/14 9:25 a.m.

Having your partner take the MSF with you is a good idea.

Depending on the 600, that might not be such a bad idea, but I think an SV650 would be smarter. Or that new CB500 range from Honda. Maybe the new EX300 but riding one with a passenger in the USA sounds anti-fun.

Oh, and my motorcycle became so much more DD-able when I added a top box. A good quality top box (I like my Givi) on a rack that lets me easily remove the box when I want lets me use the bike to pick up groceries, hold my helmet and gloves when I'm away from the bike, and I could toss rain gear in there when I want to be prepared.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/14 9:36 a.m.

The biggest issue with a motorcycle as a DD is time...or lack of it. When you ride, you need to be focused, aware and paying attention. When you are late for work, and traffic sucks, and the boss has given you two warnings and you skipped your coffee and the phone is ringing in your pocket...that leads to distracted riding and accidents. I ride to work all the time, but I don't punch a clock and no one cares when I come or go.

The other issue is space. I have large saddlebags, so one is full of rain and cold gear, the other holds my laptop bag. A motorcycle with storage space is a very practical DD. A sportbike may be too much of a compromise for daily use.

Also, check on parking. As asinine as it sounds, I have seen parking garages that do not allow motorcycles. WTF? I have also seen motorcycle-only parking, which is a nice plus.

Finally, do you have a lunch hour? Today for example, I am on the bike and the weather is perfect. I will head out for lunch and often wind up riding for an hour instead. It's a good way to loose some weight!

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/9/14 9:59 a.m.

I'm in the Nashville area and have been commuting on a bike pretty steady since around 2000. My commute went from 10 miles one way to ~20, and now 36 miles one way. I would skip the 250 and go with a 600 class bike since more than likely you'll be hitting the interstate a lot. The twisty commute is fun, but if you're like me many times you NEED to get to work, then you're ready to go home, so you'll just hit the interstate and hammer down to get there. I feel the secondary roads are way more dangerous than the interstates. Watch your back when stopping and really watch intersections and ANIMALS....man we get a lot of deer around here...not fun.

My commuters went from a Yamaha Seca II 600 (hated it), to a 98 YZF600(loved it), to a BMW k1200s, and now a k1300s. The BMWs were/are both awesome. I also have occasionally commuted on a Honda CM450 and, like today, my 09 Triumph Speed Triple. The Triumph is a great bike, but the BMW is smoother, faster, better wind protection, etc, so I ride it 9 times out of 10. If you were single I'd tell you to commute on a Triumph because women love it lol.

For the bike consider your range. The main reason I stopped ever commuting on the 450 was because of range. I had to stop for gas way too much. Also think about wind protection because it does make a difference, especially with fatigue and freezing your ass off in the winter. I park the Triumph in the winter for the most part and ride the BMW.

Also MIRRORS! You want them to be clear. I loved my Yamaha but it was a little buzzy and so were the mirrors. The mirrors on the k bike are large and smooth, which is a big deal.

Gear depends on you a few things, like your tolerance for the different types of weather. I do a lot of commuting in jeans during the summer, which a lot of guys will say is a bad idea, but in general I've busted my ass on the street more than them, so just go with what I know. I wear the thick work type jeans and they always held up to sliding, but not to impact. I have some draggin jeans now since they have impact protection, but they don't have tall sizes, or didn't when I bought these, so they ride up too high and are not comfortable. I also where summer gloves, mesh jacket, and vented boots in the summer. I keep a rain suit at work for when its time to go home and there is heavy rain.

In the spring, fall, and winter I have other gloves, glove liners when needed, leather jacket, and tourmaster overpants. When it's real cold I wear a balaclava and wind stopper. I can ride as cold as it gets here in mid TN like that, but I'm not comfortable by any means like the guys with heated gear.

As for the wife, not sure how to sell it as my bikes came along way before my wife, so that was just part of the deal, but just telling her it's something you want to do might be enough.

oh and I don't have storage on my bike, I have a backpack, which is were all my crap goes including laptop....been doing it that way for 14 years. I had some softbags at one point but gave them away. For trips I have luggage that attaches to the backseat.

octavious
octavious Reader
7/9/14 11:54 a.m.

Cool guys. Thanks for the info so far and keep it coming. I'm going to try and answer some things that have been thrown out there.

As I see it this would just be a commuter bike. When I do travel it is either paid for by work in a work car, or with the family. So I don't know about the long range comfort concerns or the baggage concerns. The suggestion for keeping wet weather gear in there is good though because we have occasional showers spring up here.

I can come and go to work when I please, thankfully. So I am good there too. I very rarely have early morning or late afternoon meetings.

I have a backpack that I carry everyday, but I don't have to lug a laptop around. I do bring my lunch just about everyday in a small cooler so that is something I have to think about.

Good to know on intersections and mirrors. I never would have thought about not having a clear steady rear view mirror, until I was probably riding and realized I couldn't see crap behind me. Is it just that people don't see the bike/rider at the intersection? Do they make flashing brake lights for when you are on the brakes like the have the flashing headlights I have seen on Goldwings and such?

Also I usually have to wear khaki pants to work. Mostly khakis and polos. Khakis and button downs in the winter. Suits rarely. Like rare enough I would just drive a car or the Jeep on a day when I had to put on the suit. I assume that light cotton khaki pants do not make good riding pants. So do you just take clothes and change at work? Or do you put on over pants? I ask because that would be another plus for storage bags if I then have to carry extra clothes.

As far as boots, do they make somthing between the all black Harley boots and the loud colored sport bike boots? Anything that might go with khakis all day so I'm not taking two pairs of shoes to work as well.

Lastly, bikes. Say the budget for the first bike is $2500ish. (If I get a bike I can convince her to spring for all the safety gear imaginable)

-What are some I should be looking at? Someone mentioned the SV650 but I haven't seen one of those in that range. What I do see are mostly older bikes and 600ish bikes from the late early-mid 2000s.

-I know someone said no 600 bikes, but then you say a 650 is ok. Why not the smaller dicplacement?

-Do I need to be afraid of a bike with crazy low miles?

-Do seals and rubber parts dry up like on cars?

-As far as insurance does it matter if a bike has been "laid down"? I see a lot of bikes that say "laid down", I assume that can mean anything from wreck to a drop in a parking lot. Also are some bikes more prone to higher insurance? Kinda like how young kids insurance on sports cars is higher than on family sedans?

-I see lots of mention of fuel injection and carbed bikes (mostly from reading older threads in this section). Is there a preference? Are carbed bikes more of an issue to keep running? Do fuel injected bikes get better MPG or performance?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
7/9/14 12:23 p.m.

I've spent years riding motorcycles to and from work or school, year round, all kinds of weather. Wandering around squishy wet from a thunderstorm is gloriusly fun when you're young and don't care, less so when you're older and supposed to look professional.

By all means, ride it to work on nice days, and see how it goes. Expand that range based on your pleasure and equipment needs. From rain suits to insulation and all the rest. If you've a locker and shower at work, that can help as well.

As for your significant other, take her on a nice ride. No excitement, no drama, just a relaxing pleasurable ride. Keep it up and let her relax into it. And, she may not ever. Accept it if that's what it is. Push and she'll push back. Scare her and she'll never get on again.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
7/9/14 1:02 p.m.

A coworker (no longer here) used to commute from PA to our office here in NJ. He rode a very nice Ducati sport-tourer that cost more than my TDI wagon (he bought new). Tons of electronic do-dads (ABS, TC, etc). All three cases. Fortunately, we have a garage under the building for parking.

Our office dress code is fairly lax, but he would wear full leathers and then change at the office. IIRC, he left shoes under his desk.

It gets hot/humid up here, but he said it wasn't too bad as long as he was moving. We have flex hours so he would work 6:30 to 3:30 to avoid traffic. If there was an accident on the route during the Summer, he said it sucked when not moving. Of course, being on a bike allowed him additional "options" when it came to getting off the main highway and onto secondary roads.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
7/9/14 1:08 p.m.

If you would like just PM me your address and I can send you my Proficient Motorcycling book. It has all the basic info they try to teach you in the MSF course but goes into more details about it due to the time limitation of the class. Certainly worth the read anyway. Actually let me know if you want it and I'll bring it back with me. I'll be back into town on the 25th.

I took my MSF course a couple months ago in Knoxville. I got a deal on the course at smokey mountain Harley Davidson and it fit my schedule. It actually ended up being cheaper than the class at Pellissippi. Our lead instructor is the captain of the Knox county sheriffs motorcycle division and teaches the sheriff dept as well as the highway patrol. All the instructors were very good in there own right and very professional. The class time seems kinda rushed but there is only so much time to cover everything I guess. All I can say is that I recommend taking the class there. The school bikes are Honda 250 rebels.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/9/14 1:09 p.m.

No 600cc bikes makes no sense AT ALL. They range from mild to wild, so stick to the milder end and you'll be fine.

Beer Baron - just out of curiosity didn't you recently start riding and go strait from a short stint on a Ninja 250cc to a 675cc Street Triple? I apologize if I'm wrong, but for some reason that sticks out. I have no idea where you're coming from with the no 600cc comment.

These are the boots I wear pretty much year around. When it's real cold I where two pairs of socks.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-field-armor-2-boots?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=CJCLlZrluL8CFc3m7AodrHgA8A

For reliability and cold start behavior I like FI....no question. That being said I wouldn't shy away from a carbed bike. My YZF never gave me a bit of trouble with its four carbs. Speaking of the YZF check them out. I loved the hell out of mine. Ex.

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/mcy/4550832545.html

As far as low miles. I'd much rather buy a bike with low miles. Bikes don't hold up as well to miles as most cars do.

It doesn't bother me if a bike's been laid down as long as the frame, swingarm, and really expensive parts are okay. They're easy enough to repair and paint.

Pick a few bikes and check with your agent on insurance because some bikes are way more than others regardless of cc.

Ex. My 130HP 1050cc Speed Triple is almost double the insurance of my 175HP 1300cc BMW k1300s. The BMW is much faster, but the Triumph is ranked as a greater risk for some reason. When I mention a zx12 Ninja the agent actually said they wouldn't insure it.

On the khaki pants. I'm definitely guilty of wearing them sometimes when I don't feel like changing at work. Yes it's a bad idea and they won't hold up in a wreck, but I just accept that if I wreck the bike my legs are gonna get it. Not smart, but it is what it is. Generally I wear overpants or jeans, then change out of the jeans, but not always.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
7/9/14 1:26 p.m.

So a backpack works but trying to put it on and taking it off while wearing an armored motorcycle jacket was never much fun. It got better when I got a single-strap sling bag. Try it out when you get a jacket and see what you think.

Something like this works for brake light modulation; https://www.denniskirk.com/22775.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0POdBRCq3arGgYD05pMBEiQAmiUeTk6ZNV8cwqpiBA5yBnYTR3CoCpgukQYQPSdpU_n1NuwaAnFv8P8HAQ - I've no experience with this, I just wanted to show that the products do exist.

For shoes I just got some heavy shoes that go above the ankle, like a high-top sneaker but styled more like a business-casual shoe. I think some guys keep a pair of shoes at their desk and change there. I don't want the hassle. I'd also go with over pants but it starts getting hot in the summer, especially when sitting still. So, and I know this isn't a great thing to do, I go without over pants or similar when it starts getting hot out. Others may have better ideas.

As far as bikes, I'd buy used for a first bike, because they take a depreciation hit and you won't feel as bad when it gets dropped. When. I looked around on Cycletrader.com to get an idea of how far $2500 goes and this actually might be great; http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1993-Honda-CB750-Night-Hawk-102121250

The reason 650's were suggested but 600's weren't is how most 600cc bikes are race-replica with more sports / less comfort oriented ergonomics and rev-happy motors that aren't as easy for a first time rider. I've not been on a CB750 Nighthawk and they might be a bit much for a new rider but I imagine this would be more relaxed vs. a CBR600 in regards to revs/power/tractability and definitely in terms of ergos.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/9/14 1:33 p.m.

My backpack is a single thick strap that goes across my chest. I always wear a jacket and it's super easy to throw on with the single strap. I do not like the double strap backpacks.

I think picking a bike is like picking a gun. Try a bunch out and see what's for you.

Again, on the 600cc bikes an R6 and a YZF 600 are completely different animals. Not all 600s are created equal. My 600s felt more like small lightweight sport tourers than anything else.

Hey here is a robust khaki option http://www.ozmotorcyclegear.com.au/draggin-jeans-cargo-motorcycle-pants.html

octavious
octavious Reader
7/9/14 1:46 p.m.

What would the milder 600s be? Besides the YZF already mentioned.

What are the wilder 600s I need to avoid?

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/9/14 2:04 p.m.
octavious wrote: What would the milder 600s be? Besides the YZF already mentioned. What are the wilder 600s I need to avoid?

katana 600, but I'm not a huge fan

Ducati Monster 600

Honda 599

Kawasaki ZZR600

Suzuki RF600R

Suzuki Bandit 600

Yamaha YZF 600

The cbr 600F series. The cbr 600 F4i has fuel injection. I hesitated on this one because the later ones have some power, but they are very manageable and very comfortable bikes.

Older Ninja 600Rs, like pre 97.

I'd stay away from:

gsxr 600

cbr 600rr

Yamaha R6

zx 6r ninja

that's kind of off the top of my head and on bikes in your price range. I'll add more if I come up with other. Of course I also fully support the recommendation of the SV, but the whole "no 600 thing" just needs to go away.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/14 2:09 p.m.

I would recommend something like a Suzuki V-Strom or Kawasaki Versys for comfort and readily available luggage.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/9/14 2:13 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I would recommend something like a Suzuki V-Strom or Kawasaki Versys for comfort and readily available luggage.

Both good options, but you can throw a set of softbags on just about anything. I did a week long trip on one of my 600s with softbags and a backpack strapped to the rear seat.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
7/9/14 2:57 p.m.

I usually leave a pair of casual shoes at my office to change into, but if I forget, its not a big deal. TCX makes riding shoes that strongly resemble a pair of chuck taylors, and thats what I'm usually wearing when I ride. They're alright for comfort at a desk job, but I probably wouldn't want to be on my feet in them all day.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/9/14 3:11 p.m.

I've ridden and commuted with a backpack, single and double strap, and a tank bag. I always preferred the tank bag. I felt like the backpack threw off my balance during turns. I also liked the free feeling of not having something hanging on me while I rode.

In so much as bike choice goes..just get what you like. Almost anything will keep up with traffic at a sane speed. Anything with more than one cylinder will keep up with traffic at elevated speeds. Most bikes over 600cc's will leave just about all traffic for dead at any speed. Just sit on and try as many motorcycle styles and models as you can and go for the one that you're passionate for.

When I first started riding I thought I wanted a cruiser. After that I thought I wanted a sportbike. I rode those for years until my shoulder started acting up on rides longer than two hours on a sportbike. Then I checked out bikes that had a more upright seating position like a Vstrom, Versys, or BMW and found those to be much more comfortable for my style of riding.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/9/14 3:29 p.m.

oh I throw my work shoes in my backpack with my laptop. I have a tankbag and never use it. I just don't like it being in the way when I get gas. I know that is a very small thing, but for some reason it annoys me. That was years ago, so maybe I'll give it another shot.

Another storage option...I had a locking corbin smugglers trunk on my k1200s, which is small but can carry some small tools, drinks, weapons etc. I'll put it on the k1300s once I have it painted to match. Like I said it doesn't hold much, but enough to be useful. That are stupid money new, but I bought it used.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
7/9/14 3:49 p.m.

In reply to Cotton:

Yea, the wildest currently are the Yama R6/Kawa 636 brawlers......the cbr600rr feels like it was assembled with playdough, and the gsxr600 will leave you wondering if the power will ever come(it doesn't)

I'd had some riding experience prior, but my recommendation is always excess used in moderation. I jumped from a sub 70hp sv to a 175hp 10r.....after 6 years of not riding. My 10r is an excellent DD sportbike. Gobs of power & torque, but if you don't need it, its very very civilized and well mannered.

I have zero issues with comfort on the 10r either, same as most others(theres "old" people who ride these too) I DD it everyday I can when I don't need to carry my golf clubs. Backpacks suck, get a tank bag.

eastsidemav wrote: I usually leave a pair of casual shoes at my office to change into, but if I forget, its not a big deal. TCX makes riding shoes that strongly resemble a pair of chuck taylors, and thats what I'm usually wearing when I ride. They're alright for comfort at a desk job, but I probably wouldn't want to be on my feet in them all day.

I wear Alpinestars SMX-2 boots now, and the few days I've been on my feet all day in them, they're very comfortable.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
7/9/14 5:11 p.m.
pres589 wrote: The reason 650's were suggested but 600's weren't is how most 600cc bikes are race-replica with more sports / less comfort oriented ergonomics and rev-happy motors that aren't as easy for a first time rider. I've not been on a CB750 Nighthawk and they might be a bit much for a new rider but I imagine this would be more relaxed vs. a CBR600 in regards to revs/power/tractability and definitely in terms of ergos.

That is what I was thinking of. Not bikes in the 600-ish range, but specifically the 600RR types.

octavious
octavious Reader
7/10/14 7:22 a.m.

So let me ask this, is buying a motorcycle like buying a boat? In that it is better to do during the winter.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/10/14 8:02 a.m.

You can find deals anytime if you look. There's always some poor bastard out there whose wife is making him sell it. I don't think I've ever waited until winter to purchase one, but that's probably because I'm impatient.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
7/10/14 9:30 a.m.

I change into scrubs at work, that I leave at work. I bring a pair of shoes in my tank bag.

The biggest deal with riding to work is just watching out for everybody else. They just don't pay attention. It also takes more time get all geared up. Sometimes I'm lazy and just take the car because of that.

Depending on what gear you get, it can cost thousands. Just my helmet was $500 for instance, let alone my pants/jacket/boots.

Dav
Dav Reader
7/13/14 8:42 a.m.

I agree with much of the above, but I'll take it a step further based on my own experience.

Look at sport touring bikes.

If you are truly looking at commuting and not strafing apexes, they are unbeatable:

Comfortable--no need for a back pack that is hot and heavy

Smooth--while a little porky, the weight and (often) shaft drive = a great ride

Storage--having saddle bags means you can bring almost anything to work or shop

Thrifty--insurance on many is incredibly cheap for a bike with so much power

Bargain--many are bought by mature riders that maintain them, but sell cheap

Fast--most are darn fast and handle better than they have a right to

Luxurious--many have heated grips/seats, power windshields, and electrical plugs

My only caveat is if you are a smaller person or have a short inseam. If that is the case, and you are a noob, they might be a handful.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gBVsSsGQ05zAI2M2aLzEZwAxJEUgM8P4tDuxEPJBWI6FPoANgZ4WTdzr9y8xs5nX