1 2 3 4
nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
7/23/14 11:10 a.m.
yamaha wrote: Oh, and as far as the "We don't get standards here anymore" crowd crying.....we do. Some are just labeled as "Hooligan bikes" such as the FZ-09.

I don't want a hooligan bike. I don't want or need a bike with 90+hp and the ability to pull wheelies at will. I just want a standard riding position, not cruiser, not sport bike, not dirtbike riding positions. And there are some out there but they make many more that they don't bring to the states. That's all I'm saying.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
7/23/14 11:12 a.m.

I grabbed a Shoei RF1100 on sale a few months back and love it. Great helmets that are well built and quiet. Arai is supposedly nice as well but I have heard that the equivalent Shoei is a little quieter. Icon makes nice stuff but with them a lot of the cost is marketing not build quality. I would look elsewhere for most of my gear (specifically helmet).

The insurance costs are VERY dependent on the bike, not just the category. My '89 Honda Hawk GT (650 sport standard) is something like $200 a year with full coverage as a pleasure bike. You just have to compare individual models to find out. I bet a Harley Sportster is pretty high up compared to Versys or something similar in the standard market. Avoid squid bikes and traditionally chopper esqe bikes and you should be good.

One last thing. Dual sports that are multipiston make great starter bikes and are usually quite comfortable.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
7/23/14 11:14 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote:
yamaha wrote: Oh, and as far as the "We don't get standards here anymore" crowd crying.....we do. Some are just labeled as "Hooligan bikes" such as the FZ-09.
I don't want a hooligan bike. I don't want or need a bike with 90+hp and the ability to pull wheelies at will. I just want a standard riding position, not cruiser, not sport bike, not dirtbike riding positions. And there are some out there but they make many more that they don't bring to the states. That's all I'm saying.

Here you go, 66 hp and 45 torques. Probably one of the best all around bikes IMO.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
7/23/14 11:16 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Very likely to be my next bike.

Octavious; I'll be swinging by this weekend with the book.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/23/14 11:25 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote:

NONACK
NONACK Reader
7/23/14 11:47 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: Icon makes nice stuff but with them a lot of the cost is marketing not build quality. I would look elsewhere for most of my gear (specifically helmet).

Sort of disagree, I tried many helmets and could find nothing better than my Airframe for my needs under $300. The fit and finish makes similarly priced Bells feel like total garbage (to me).

That said, there is a version of my helmet that costs $550 for nothing other than an appearance package.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
7/23/14 12:10 p.m.

In reply to NONACK:

I didn't mean to imply that their helmets are bad, just frequently you are paying high end prices (+500) for a mid level helmet. Their plain jane models are probably priced very competitively. Good friend of mine went from a mid level Icon to a mid level Shoei and his thoughts were night and day. So admittedly, this is just my opinion from a handful of cases. I got lucky and got a Shoei RF1100 for $250 from Revilla when they were on sale. GREAT HELMET!

Also, I wouldn't consider most Bell's to be worth talking about.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
7/23/14 12:13 p.m.
singleslammer wrote:
nicksta43 wrote:
Here you go, 66 hp and 45 torques. Probably one of the best all around bikes IMO.

Ohhhh...I like that V Strom...and just looked at Suzukis website, under $10K here in Canada.....hmmmmmm.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
7/23/14 12:16 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Yes I know what bikes are available. Next someone needs to post pictures of a Triumph.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
7/23/14 2:41 p.m.

In reply to NONACK:

Ahh, the Airframe dry carbon? My friend has one of those, and 2 other carbon lids.....

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
7/23/14 3:31 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote:

Have you ever tried NOT using all the power the bike makes?? I rarely use the 175hp the 10r has to offer.....most of the time its treated like a 40hp 250cc commuter bike

I am teasing you a bit though.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
7/23/14 3:40 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
nicksta43 wrote:
Have you ever tried NOT using all the power the bike makes?? I rarely use the 175hp the 10r has to offer.....most of the time its treated like a 40hp 250cc commuter bike I am teasing you a bit though.

No WFO is my modus operandi

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/25/14 9:59 a.m.

For gear look into joining a local club that gets discounts. I'm a member of a local dirt bike club and we get some massive discounts through one company. For instance my latest Shoei that was knocking on $800 at CycleGear was 500 and changed shipped with the discount, so all my gear comes through them now as long as they can quote it.

As for insurance get quotes on whatever you're considering. My k1300s was the same price as my 600 and way way way faster.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/25/14 1:35 p.m.

Also look for "Scratch and dent." I got a pair of boots the were $149 for $65 from CycleGear because of a blemish-on the sole of the boot! I also got an Arai helmet from RevZilla for $100 less because of a small swirl in the paint. I looked for 10 minutes before I found it.

The only thing I'd never look at used is a helmet. As long as it isn't abused, jackets, gloves, bags, etc... as all worth looking at.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
7/25/14 1:43 p.m.

In reply to nicksta43:

I'm totally going to hack apart my Honda Spree and utilizing an old two stroke 250cc and a vj-11 turbo laying around to attempt to make more power than your 883......for sheer lulz.

It will probably kill me though.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/25/14 1:58 p.m.

I've ridden standards, cruisers, and sportbikes. I have to say the most comfortable bike I've ever been on was a touring bike (FJ1300) and a DL650. The Wee-strom is a fine motorcycle. Reliable, comfortable, lightweight. I've heard nothing but good things.

A guy I used to ride with puts about 50k miles on a bike a year. He rides, always. He has this, a Kawi Versys. He can't praise it enough.

About gear, I've found good deals at http://www.motorcyclegear.com/. Their closeouts are some tremendous buys. Usually brand new and last year's model. Cheap.

Commuting with a laptop requires a lockable box of some sort. I prefer a top box. That's a box that sits over or behind the rear pillion seat. They work well by putting the weight in the centerline of the bike and higher up so it doesn't upset the balance like loading a heavy laptop into one side bag would.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
7/25/14 2:39 p.m.

A bike that I noticed has been missed... the 92-2003 CB750 Nighthawk. Great beginner bike, easy to ride, enough power to keep it entertaining and Honda reliability. I love mine.... I just (finally) outgrew it after 16 years.

octavious
octavious Reader
7/28/14 3:01 p.m.

Been busy with work and family stuff. But, I called today and was able to get in a MSF this weekend. Things just got real.

Also I've not totally changed from my original bike idea, but I have been looking at BMW F650GS and Kawi KLR650s. So whoever suggested those, thanks.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
7/29/14 3:39 p.m.

If you want the SO to learn to ride then I would look for something in the 250-400 range for yourself now with the intention of it being the starter bike for her when you upgrade.

I have a Katana 750 with hard bags and it is a great commuter, but I just started working on a GN400 cafe/scrambler project to teach the wife on and take the back roads with.

Sometimes flogging 30hp to the best it can be is a lot more fun than reaching the maximum legal speed limit on a big bike and having 3 gears left to go.

octavious
octavious Reader
8/4/14 10:40 a.m.

Finished the MSF yesterday, off to the DMV to get my endorsement this afternoon.

I am a newb, never street ridden or anything, and I found the class super informative. My one instructor was very good and very knowledgeable. My other instructor was knowledgeable, no doubt he knew bikes, but he wasn't a very good instructor. But I already recommended it to my BIL who is thinking about getting a bike as well.

Now off to CL to find my first bike.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
8/4/14 1:08 p.m.

Where did you go? I would have went to Pellissippi but couldn't make it work with my schedule. The Harley shop ended up being cheaper anyway.

octavious
octavious Reader
8/5/14 12:24 p.m.

I went to Pellissippi. I called on Monday and got registered for the Sat/Sun course. In addition Pellissippi is closer to my house. And they had dual sports which was something I wanted to try. I had. Suzuki DR200 all weekend.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/5/14 4:32 p.m.

Excelent.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
8/28/14 8:28 p.m.

In reply to oldopelguy:

I commute on a 750 Katana with soft bags and could mot agree with You more. I have four other bikes, all make between 30hp and 45hp and they can be more fun than the Kat.

rotard
rotard Dork
8/29/14 11:08 a.m.

I have plenty of fun commuting on the Tuono Factory.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DgW9IQEDgybVzEKPN2OlaFp9DBnz2f5EpAp4MHEZMNzAob3L3LAhL1wJOACPTGnt