1 2
Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
7/1/10 3:36 p.m.

How to get an Ohio title? I am looking at buying a vintage bike to mess with, I have seen some good deals for bikes without any title. Is there any way to get one? I just called the title bureau and they seem to think not. One bike I am looking at is a 1974 and the owner has had it for almost 20 years but never got the thing put into his name. he has lost contact with the previous owner. Is the thing destined for parts or out of state sale only? Is there no way to get the paperwork for it??

It is in such good shape (in the email pictures) that it may be worth buying and then getting a POS bike with a title and swapping frames & motor.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
7/1/10 3:52 p.m.
  1. Sell bike to someone in Georgia.
  2. Have person get bike instpected in GA and get GA title.
  3. Have person sell bike back to you.
  4. Transfer title to an OH title in your name.

Otherwise, you are probably pretty hosed. Ohio's pretty strict on title stuff. You could try one of the title services, but I don't know if they play with bikes, and Ohio has supposedly been cracking down on that kind of thing lately.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
7/1/10 5:29 p.m.

It isn't much help, but this is what the Ohio DMV website says:

I purchased a vehicle in-state or out-of-state and the seller did not provide me with a title. I have a bill of sale. What do I do?

Contact the Title and Vehicle Information Services at 614-752-7671.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
7/1/10 6:18 p.m.

Illinois = Same thing as Ohio.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/1/10 7:25 p.m.

Ohio can't be more complex than New York. In NY you lay paper over the VIN stamped on the neck, make a rubbing with a pencil. They run the VIN number and if it's not stolen or a known pedophile, they give you a Title.

Dan

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
7/1/10 9:00 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Ohio can't be more complex than New York. In NY you lay paper over the VIN stamped on the neck, make a rubbing with a pencil. They run the VIN number and if it's not stolen or a known pedophile, they give you a Title. Dan

Wish it was that easy. There's a reason "no title" tends to cause a massive drop in asking price here.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf HalfDork
7/2/10 6:13 a.m.

Know anyone in NH? Over ten years old no tiltle needed no inspection, just bill of sale. They reg the bike then sell it back to you and give you there NH Reg you take that to the Ohio reg and get your new Ohio title and reg as NH will not ishue a title.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
7/2/10 10:50 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: It isn't much help, but this is what the Ohio DMV website says: I purchased a vehicle in-state or out-of-state and the seller did not provide me with a title. I have a bill of sale. What do I do? Contact the Title and Vehicle Information Services at 614-752-7671.

called. There is a way to get what they call a court order title from a judge, but not all counties in the state will do that and the lady I spoke with said she heard it costs between $35 and $200 depending on the county.

what a stupid system.

Does anyone know - can I call the non emergency police number and have them run a vin to make sure that the bike is not stolen? If not, how am I to make sure that I am not buying stolen property?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
7/2/10 11:26 a.m.

I'm pretty sure the cops wouldn't have a problem checking the VIN for you. I know they'll do that for you in Georgia. Certainly wouldn't hurt to call the non-emergency number and ask.

skruffy
skruffy SuperDork
7/2/10 11:36 a.m.

Unless you can mechanics or storage lien the bike (and that got a LOT harder this year), you're not getting a title in Ohio. Court order titles are for special circumstance, "I bought this cheap with no title" doesn't cut it.

You can call the non-emergency number to check the vin, and I'd strongly suggest you do so for anything without a title.

How do you make sure it's not stolen? Buy a bike with a title. No title bikes are either stolen or being sold out from under a loan, period. It costs $5 and takes 5 minutes at the BMV to get a duplicate title in Ohio, there's NO reason a legit bike should not have a title.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
7/2/10 12:23 p.m.
skruffy wrote: How do you make sure it's not stolen? Buy a bike with a title. No title bikes are either stolen or being sold out from under a loan, period. It costs $5 and takes 5 minutes at the BMV to get a duplicate title in Ohio, there's NO reason a legit bike should not have a title.

Yes there is. It is a Honda scrambler. The bike is 36 years old, and Ohio didn’t require titles for a dirt bike until 1999. Sure it could have had a title, but if you were using it as a off road bike before 1999, why pay tax and registrations fees? I owned a lot of pre 1999 dirt bikes (and some post 2000) that I never spent the $ to get registered. It didn’t mean that there was anything fishy. Why spend $70 for every $1000 of purchase price, plus something like $20 - $35 title fees every time the ownership changes? It is a resale tax and the since it is a off road / on road bike I think that it should be grandfathered in when they did the dirt bike title.

skruffy
skruffy SuperDork
7/2/10 2:51 p.m.

You have your opinion, I have mine. For me, ANYTHING without a title has something fishy going on.

skruffy
skruffy SuperDork
7/2/10 3:44 p.m.

You specifically asked about Ohio, where we title everything. It's just my opinion, having been down this road before. I've never heard a valid excuse from someone as to why an ohio vehicle isn't titled, aside from being lazy or cheap.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 HalfDork
7/2/10 4:19 p.m.
racinginc215 wrote: send me a vin number and bill of sale and 15 bucks and I'll title it in Michigan for you. take about 2 hours to check the vin and issue a title. 810-282-1729 Dave

can you help me out for a scooter?

xd
xd New Reader
7/3/10 9:11 p.m.

Ohio is easy. I have done it a few times. Go to dmv get title paperwork, or print it off the dmv website. Take bike on trailer or back of truck to the highway patrol. They will verify the vin and sign the paper work. The dmv will issue you a new title. Make sure you have a bill of sale. You will be fine. I only had one problem doing this and that was with a atc. They titled it as a motorcycle instead of an off road vehicle as I had asked. getting it changed was a pain.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
7/6/10 8:15 p.m.
racinginc215 wrote: send me a vin number and bill of sale and 15 bucks and I'll title it in Michigan for you. take about 2 hours to check the vin and issue a title. 810-282-1729 Dave

Awesome, I am going to call you tomorrow. I picked up a 1974 CL360 for $150 that needs a title.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf HalfDork
7/8/10 9:17 p.m.

if you have curent reg from a state that dosn't ishue titles is should just be the normal fee to reg in your state.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
8/4/10 8:45 a.m.
xd wrote: Make sure you have a bill of sale.

That works if you have got the bill of sale from the original title holder.

Supercoupe
Supercoupe Reader
8/4/10 12:20 p.m.

racinginc215 wrote:

send me a vin number and bill of sale and 15 bucks and I'll title it in Michigan for you. take about 2 hours to check the vin and issue a title. 810-282-1729 Dave

Dave, can you do this with an '81 Honda from NY? I bought a bike from a guy in NJ six years ago and lost the title, I've tried to get in touch with the PO but they were in an apartment complex and apparently moved.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
11/25/10 8:58 p.m.

bought a bike with no title. can get a bill of sale, probably notorized even.

Who lives in an easy state that can help me get a title?

thanks to all

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
11/28/10 6:53 p.m.

bump

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
11/28/10 8:50 p.m.

carkid, have you checked into getting it bonded?

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
11/28/10 10:00 p.m.

i dunno what that means

The poster formally known as 96DXCivic
The poster formally known as 96DXCivic SuperDork
12/16/10 6:04 p.m.

Thread jack

I am assuming there is no need for a title if the bike is solely for off road use.

/Thread jack

231racing
231racing New Reader
2/25/14 6:39 p.m.

racinginc215 wrote:

send me a vin number and bill of sale and 15 bucks and I'll title it in Michigan for you. take about 2 hours to check the vin and issue a title. 810-282-1729 Dave

can you help me get a title for a bike that has changed owners a few times? the bikes from MI and im from ohio

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tmwsiuLYYF7OfNww9g99jC3Hv9WlT7n8HT8c949mgsjzHNV2nE2YctAiD3PqPVzD