1 2
DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/5/18 1:41 p.m.

Some of you may remember the 1977 Honda CJ360T I restored for SWMBO's first bike. We'll she's not very confident riding and is therefore leery of it. Today I bought something to help her gain confidence with the physics. It's a mix of both our motorcycles - Italian like my Ducati, and a 1977 model like her Honda.

I paid $300. Needs a going through, but that's NBD and I could use a project at home right now.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/5/18 6:44 p.m.

Those little mopeds can be surprisingly fun to ride, and it looks like an easy project.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/5/18 8:16 p.m.

Ya know, Dr.Linda got over the not-confident-to-ride thing on the way home from the dealership with her new bike.  Of course, it was a 6000 mile trip.  Maybe it's that "jump off in the deep end" thing?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/5/18 9:55 p.m.
NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
10/6/18 1:29 p.m.

That thing looks like a blast. Btw, your ratchet straps are almost as cool as the bike. 

imgon
imgon Reader
10/7/18 8:22 a.m.

Good luck, that should build her confidence. We had a similar situation with my wife. I gave her my old Honda Sabre that I thought would be perfect for her, turns out it was too much in her mind and she did not like riding it. Found her a mid 70s Honda 200, basically a moped that looked like a motorcycle.  She rode that one summer and was ready to move up to a big girl bike. We found her a Shadow that she rode for a  couple of years and she decided that she needed a big bike for the traveling we were doing. We got her a VTX 1300 and she loves it. She has had more bikes than me and hers is bigger than mine. Never would have guessed it 20 years ago, she just barely liked riding as a passenger. 

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/8/18 8:43 a.m.

No spark. Posting this here for reference

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
10/8/18 7:04 p.m.

It's sort of common for the magnets to lose there charge on theses small flywheels.  If you have a charging system check gauge you can do a ruff check or do a wrench lift test stick a wrench to the magnet and lift the fly wheel add weight untill wench slides do this for all the magnets see how strong they are.  There is a scooter place in Calif that will do a real test and can re-mag them but i can't say i've used them YET.

scooterwest

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/10/18 3:31 p.m.

Thanks for that. I'll be sorting the wiring and trying that first. Once winter settles in she'll be getting a full teardown and possibly some powder coating.

I thought I could rub the brown garbage off with some acetone but no luck. Here comes full resto!

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
10/11/18 11:45 a.m.

Those Junction blocks are know bad areas they just don't last 30 years.  Some parts might be hard to find but the web is making it easier.

Try olive oil rub let sit over night then buff it off, sometimes solvent just don't cut it.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/12/18 8:46 a.m.

Users manual for anybody that comes across this thread in a search:
https://martysgarage.info/manuals/minarelliservice.pdf

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/15/18 8:20 a.m.

Pulled the engine yesterday. Magnets still have a lot of power to them, so I'm pointing to old wires as the culprit. New weatherproof connectors have been sourced to eliminate junction blocks.

Now the dreaded "While I'm in there"

This thing needs to be cleaned up a lot before it goes back on the frame.

I did manage to get some of the black crap off the tank with scrubbing and soaking - but it's going to end up being a respray. Since I have all winter, I'm considering sending things out for powder coat - low gloss white for the frame and high gloss blue for the tank.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/19/18 1:39 p.m.

Project creep. laugh

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/22/18 8:04 a.m.

Had a business trip to Louisville for the Green Industry Expo - being a bit of an introvert it was nice to retreat to the basement for solo time when I returned.

More progress!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/22/18 8:10 a.m.

I don't know what they sprayed all over this thing, but it does come off with 320 grit. My race trailer, which contains my rolling tool box, is on loan to a friend so I don't have all my stuff - I'll need a bigger wrench to get the head stock out.

I got some evaporust and am soaking bits and bobs as they come off. Things are coming out very clean, but I may still end up replacing everything with stainless hardware like I did with the Honda.

I burned out the exhaust and found some pin holes. I think I'll just replace it rather than try to weld it up.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
10/22/18 10:49 a.m.

I've got a nice race pipe but you'd need to adapt it and then jet for it.

:)

Pinasco / Malossi expansion chamber for a ET2 Vespa Scooter, Gilera, and a bunch of Piaggio 
New in the box! 
MHR part number M329834 retails $438.91 same pipe sold under P10561125 Pinasco for $299 
Your basic 50-68cc power pipe with 180 curled end to confine the silencer for space.

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/…/racing+exhaust+malossi+mhr…

Bought for another project that will not happen. Would work great on Yarf dog or other small 2st go-karts or Moped army....

Make me an offer! It's New in the box.  sold the moped it was going on.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/26/18 12:46 p.m.

Looks a bit more serious than I want for this bike. Easy breezy is the theme.

Until she gets comfortable and I throw a kit on it...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/26/18 5:08 p.m.
DaveEstey said:

Until she gets comfortable and I throw a kit on it...

Awww yiss.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/30/18 7:32 a.m.

ohhh shiny

I'm also picking up a beater 2001 Honda Elite for $150 - runs and drives  - perfect for stuntin and splodin.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/30/18 2:11 p.m.

You a quickly becoming a hero of mine.  

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/4/18 6:43 p.m.

Picked up the Elite(ist) tonight. Turns out it's an 80cc - bonus. The front trunk cover got broken by a buzzed rider, but replacements are readily available. Just need a fresh battery so I can see what I've got going.

They guy also threw in a 1987 Honda Spree 50 for a four pack of beer. Not running, but appears to be mechanically and electrically intact. The seat was eaten by rodents (it wasn't on the moped) so I left that behind. 

Pics tomorrow when it's light. I seem to have gathered a fleet!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/6/18 7:46 a.m.

Needs some cleaning and I have to decide whether to Mad Max it or put the plastics back on. Tossed a jumper box on it and it started right up!

Sidenote- I need to clean this area.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/11/18 5:58 p.m.

Got as many body panels back on the Honda as could be fitted. 

The front "trunk" is messed up, as are the front frame horns that it mounts to. These are from a "Hold my beer" moment with the previous owner. The front engine cowl is missing. 

I'm considering just welding a front rack on it, which would be plenty useful if not as pretty. 

Since the front fascia can't be stock, neither can the headlight. Enter the Johnny 5 look. 

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/12/18 7:02 p.m.

Stopped messing with Johnny 5 and got back to working on the Bianchi. Forks got disassembled and the frame is now ready for sand blast and powdercoat. I'm thinking white. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/18 7:29 p.m.

I had a Honda Trail 110 for a while and it was a blast.  Riding it was the epitome of riding a slow scooter fast.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
egUuxXDwBbeN0KngooRYDwG9oYVzT0kOgkuOMICj1GpeB8dLQSXRxBYHdm2t0sWr