nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/15/18 10:50 p.m.
stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/16/18 9:13 a.m.

An old girlfriend had one of those 30 years ago.  It was kind of fun to ride around on, but I'm not sure they're worth $600 of fun. 

They have an interesting starting method - instead of a regular kick starter like any other motorcycle, you instead push down on it several times to wind up a clockspring spring, then (if I remember correctly) you squeeze one of the brake levers and the spring turns the engine over.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
8/16/18 9:36 a.m.

A guy at my high school rode a yellow one of these. He took a lot of ribbing because of it.

I remember a half block long drag race after school between it and a Subaru van in the late 70's. The moped won. 

After witnessing race, one of the basketball players challenged the winner. The basketball player won. On foot.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
8/16/18 10:47 a.m.

Looks like a great little pit bike though

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/16/18 1:58 p.m.

Yeah, you don't ride one of them for speed thrills but that's not the point. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
8/16/18 3:33 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Agreed!

I used one of these as a pit bike when I was drag racing my H2 as well as a (small) parts chaser for my automotive shop back in the mid 80's.

The now ex wife always jumped at the chance to run to the parts store for me on nice days. Rain, cold or snow, forget it. She wasn't dragging her @$$ out from behind the desk.

I was tempted to stretch it, put a wheelie bar on it and paint it to match the drag bike, but never got around to it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/16/18 7:08 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

An old girlfriend had one of those 30 years ago.  It was kind of fun to ride around on, but I'm not sure they're worth $600 of fun. 

Any girl that let's you ride them is definitely worth more that $600

D2W
D2W HalfDork
8/17/18 9:57 a.m.
Appleseed said:
stuart in mn said:

Any girl that let's you ride them is definitely worth more that $600

Based on the fact that she is an old girlfriend I'd say she wasn't worth the $600.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/17/18 11:28 a.m.

In reply to D2W :

Well, you know, depreciation  man.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hKYR2evonnHzrJxiikzPKQmh1ih2j36aKC41MivdEeEMIKdg8jSjeqhxbygNtaRC