1 2 3
sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
12/12/16 10:25 a.m.

So about three weeks ago I sold my EX-500 project bike for a less than desired price to buy an '86 Ducati Paso. After selling my bike the deal for the Paso went south. Double bummer because now I am out a bike and well... No Ducati.

Cut to my Birthday Party Saturday night when my Mothers boyfriend sits down with me and says "since I'm through my midlife crisis and your smack in the middle of yours... I'm giving you my BMW R850R. Ive seen the bike and love it.. Expecting it to ship from Las Vegas after the New Year.

So to my questions, anyone have any experience with these lovelies? It has 20,000 miles on it, but has sat idle for quite some time. He has started it occasionally and it was well cared for. What can I expect?

Here is a bike that looks just like the one I was given.

Thanks in advance Hive!

pres589
pres589 UberDork
12/12/16 10:45 a.m.

Not to push you somewhere else but ADVRider is the forum I would go to for something like this. Lots of Beemer riders there.

Cool bike.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/16 12:23 p.m.

Convince your mom to marry that guy.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
12/12/16 12:44 p.m.
Woody wrote: Convince your mom to marry that guy.

I have to admit, He's growing on me.. lol

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
12/12/16 12:49 p.m.

Free BMW? What exactly do you need to know beyond that?

I desire more of the adventure BMW bikes, but would gladly ride that daily.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/12/16 2:03 p.m.

Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/12/16 3:20 p.m.

New tires if it has been sitting. All new fluids, don't forget the bevel gear. Then, ride it for 100K miles. I think that is usually about it for these types of bikes.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
12/12/16 4:21 p.m.

Change tires, fluids, adjust valves, balance throttle bodies, bleed brakes then rack up miles. A, shaft driven bmw boxer for free is like 5 Ducati lifetimes.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/12/16 4:43 p.m.

I'm not sure if this falls into the modern BMW habit of EVERYTHING being attached with TORX or not, but My uncle had one of the parallel Rotax twins, and it was TORX everywhere-weird. BMW just does things in their own way. Great Score!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/12/16 7:31 p.m.

Nice ride. As others have said. change fluids and start riding...everywhere.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/12/16 10:13 p.m.

Torx are awesome. I have never rounded one out. I can't actually make that claim for Hex.

Phillips is only slightly less useless than a flat head.

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
12/13/16 8:31 a.m.

Torx and E-torx are both excellent with the proper tool sets, haha.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
12/13/16 9:20 a.m.

I am excited as hell and cant wait to get a shipping schedule! Come on Spring!!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
12/16/16 7:52 p.m.

To the OP:

You suck

Not sure what it means but most BMWs need the splines lubed.

johnnie
johnnie Reader
12/16/16 7:57 p.m.

I have ridden my sister's R1100R and it is magical. Some day it will be mine. My bro-in-law has an R850R with well north of 100k miles on the clock. It was inoperable last I visited, so I didn't get to ride it. They're a four beemer family, He upgraded to the big K bike and she has an R1150R.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
1/3/17 10:42 a.m.

!!UPDATE!!

The Bike left Las Vegas Monday 1-2 and is scheduled to be at HaulBikes.com's York Warehouse between 1-4 and 1-6. I lucked out in the fact that they are the contract hauler for all of Harley's trikes, so the Harley plant IS their York Warehouse. I am 5 minutes from the plant. :-)

The bike would not start when it was loaded, so I have to get that sorted out when it gets here. It Cranks but will not fire. Since its sat so long, I'm thinking bad gas/clogged injectors/stuck fuel pump.

Pics as soon as she gets here!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/17 11:06 a.m.

Check the battery first, BMW FI bikes get really grumpy when the battery voltage is low. They'll still crank but won't necessarily fire, even though the voltage is high enough that a normal bike would just fire up.

Sweet find, the 850 engine is very nice as it's less lumpy than the 1100/1150. I like ''R" models - they're a bit of a hidden gem as most people think GS first if they want a naked R850/R1100/R1150.

Change the fluids and ride it, as other people already said. I'd also check the shocks for leaks but at that mileage you should be fine. If it does have ABS (most 850s don't) you'll need the BMW software to properly flush the brakes.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/3/17 12:11 p.m.
sanyarcosean wrote: Expecting it to ship from Las Vegas after the New Year.

It's 2400 miles or 34 hours of driving, what better way to get acquainted?

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
1/3/17 1:23 p.m.
914Driver wrote:
sanyarcosean wrote: Expecting it to ship from Las Vegas after the New Year.
It's 2400 miles or 34 hours of driving, what better way to get acquainted?

My Wife Jessica WANTED to do just that... ( have I mentioned what a lucky guy I am??? ) Part of the condition of the gift however was that we let him ship it to us so we could go over it before riding it.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
1/9/17 7:10 a.m.

Got a call from the Delivery Driver yesterday. Looks like delivery at my office Tuesday (tomorrow at 7:30am.. he even sent me a tease picture of it in the Warehouse. Getting Excited!!!

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
1/10/17 7:01 a.m.

Safe and Sound in York PA!! Now the work begins!

BTW... That's a Motus on the upper deck. Developed an oil leak so the factory paid to have it shipped back to them to fix it. Its on its way back to its owner.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/17 7:45 a.m.

That looks like the IDEAL all-around bike. Good for 2-up touring, sporty riding, back-road blasts, daily commuting. So much so, that I think I need to start shopping again this spring.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
1/10/17 8:18 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: That looks like the IDEAL all-around bike. Good for 2-up touring, sporty riding, back-road blasts, daily commuting. So much so, that I think I need to start shopping again this spring.

Agreed, I think it will satisfy almost all of my wants. ( I may still need a ratty hardtail bobber for fun.. )

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
1/11/17 9:20 a.m.

Is it up and running yet?

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
1/11/17 11:33 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: Is it up and running yet?

Unfortunately, she arrived with a dead battery. It is on the charger as we speak, so possibly be able to update tomorrow. In the mean time, Pics of it at the shop!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4aYEKwW47mbs3Aky9hjRqR1nTVK99acTpRInxFnFb4KmdFX4QWDOEsBbrPZH0jxG