1 2 3 4
DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/20/16 8:07 a.m.

SWMBO wants to learn to ride and she's definitely not doing that on my Duc. Enter her Christmas present (still a surprise) a 1977 Honda CJ360T.

Just over 12k on the clock and purchased in non-running-but-assured-it-was-running-when-parked status for $700. I did check that it had spark.

The paint is hosed.

I got it back to my shop, drained the old fuel out, threw the battery on a charger, swapped in a new fuel filter and new plugs and BAM - she fired right up.

Tempted to find a CB360 engine so the bike will have electric start.... Also tempted to do a frame-up resto.

Her call in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/oxc2TUjtWto

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
12/20/16 9:16 a.m.

Sweet! That's a good looking little bike.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/20/16 11:19 a.m.

That's a great starter bike. I taught my wife (then girlfriend) to ride on a '73 CL360.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
12/20/16 8:23 p.m.

Dib's when she / you are done with it. Or come race it with the USCRA. :) USCRA

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/21/16 7:54 a.m.

In reply to 44Dwarf:

Might want the front disc brakes from a CB360 before you hit the track

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
12/21/16 8:09 a.m.

Excellent!

I love it when "ran when parked" turns out to be true.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
12/21/16 8:36 a.m.

Unrelated to the purchase, but I have a similar carrier, for use on my Equinox, rated for 500#. Curious how yours worked on a similar vehicle.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/21/16 9:19 a.m.

In reply to minimac:

Worked great. The bike weighs just under 400lbs and it was nice and stable for the hour drive home.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/16 12:38 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Actually, I hear the twin leading shoe drums do a lot better than the cable operated disks. Sweet bike though, I learned on a CL175 myself.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
12/21/16 7:34 p.m.

Depending on the class it might have to keep the drum! With proper tuning and shoes linning they can be great.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
12/22/16 1:27 p.m.

Those are fun little bikes. Easy to work on too, as soon as you get rid of all of the Philips head screws on the engine cases.

The timing chain guides and top triple clamps are weak points. They both crack and were near impossible to find NOS. I think that they are making new guides now.

Here is one I did a few years ago -

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/23/16 11:30 a.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: ...as soon as you get rid of all of the Philips head screws on the engine cases.

+eleventy billion. Butter has a greater consistency than these screws.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
12/23/16 12:29 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
Rusnak_322 wrote: ...as soon as you get rid of all of the Philips head screws on the engine cases.
+eleventy billion. Butter has a greater consistency than these screws.

I won't argue that those screws on old Jap bikes are a huge PITA, they aren't standard philips-head screws either, which makjes things harder than they need to be. They a JIS crosshead screws, and most philips-head screw drivers wont bite them very well. Back when I worked as a bike mechanic, one of my bosses made me buy a pair, and they they did work quite well. A fresh snap on philips will work on a lot of them too, but when theyvare worn, they don't. I didn't know that JIS screws were a thing before that.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
12/23/16 12:32 p.m.

Nice score, BTW. The dual leading shoe drums work pretty good when adjusted right. The only problem is they wont hold you when stopped pointing uphill, they sort of a one-way brake.

physician
physician Reader
12/31/16 11:46 a.m.

Those old engine screwa are easily remived with an impact screw driver or a regular one you can hit on it. Choise one that fit tight or leave them alone.

Since most of my bikes are budget build, so i got use to them.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/31/16 12:21 p.m.
physician wrote: Those old engine screwa are easily remived with an impact screw driver or a regular one you can hit on it.

The HF impact screwdriver I picked up to work on my CB160 was remarkably effective.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/3/17 7:39 p.m.

Gorgeous bike Rusnak!

She loves this one and we've already begun the process of making it great again. Since she's a fan of 60's and 70's English bikes (she worked at the shop that restored Gunga Din) dark green was the obvious choice. The tank and plastics will be sent out shortly.

Meanwhile in the shop...

In keeping with the Euro theme, the engine will become gloss black with some polished bits here and there. The frame and ancillary items will become satin black or gunmetal silver in a couple spots.

Allen bolts have been ordered as well as a modern combined rectifier/voltage regulator.

Lots of cleaning and prep lead to these next photos. Roughly 14 hours of degreasing, wire brushing and sanding with 400 grit.

I couldn't resist a little preview

Liking the polished aluminum cap against the gloss black. Soon the rest will be black as well!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
1/4/17 7:06 a.m.

Following this. Giving me an extra boost of inspiration for my '80 GS.

Love the black!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/5/17 7:11 a.m.

About 17 hours into refinishing the engine now. Pretty much ready for the final coats of actual paint.

I'm pretty sick of the smell of etching primer.

Close up of the finish

And another preview with the black because it makes me feel better.

The primer is still damp in most of these pics. Humidity is a little high so I let things cure in the shop for at least 24 hours before adding another coat of anything. Heat is set to 55 so it's a little cool as well.

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
1/5/17 7:39 a.m.

that looks great! I love old Honda Technology.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/5/17 8:02 a.m.
Ransom wrote:
physician wrote: Those old engine screwa are easily remived with an impact screw driver or a regular one you can hit on it.
The HF impact screwdriver I picked up to work on my CB160 was remarkably effective.

This. I consider this an essential tool for ANY 70's vintage Japanese motorcycle engine. Word of advice on the HF impact screw driver: disassemble and grease. There's a pair of ball bearings that ride in helical grooves and come with zero lubrication from the sweat shop they were made in. Makes a world of difference.

Bike's looking good man!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/6/17 11:10 a.m.

Engine is done with paint (finally). Now to remove a couple bits and polish them.

While I was waiting for the last coat to dry I went to task on the seat cover and pan. Both gross. The cover will be getting replaced with a brown leather version. The pan just got hit with a wire brush to knock off the scale, rubbed down with acetone and then primed and painted.

I was going to use satin black, but ran out. Gloss it is!

Next up is the frame.... Degreasing in the middle of winter sucks so I've been just hosing the thing down with brake cleaner and hitting the nasty spots with a nylon brush. Still some ways to go before it gets the satin black treatment.

Haven't touched this part yet. Super grimey.

I was going to try to refinish the shocks and springs, but I can get new improved units for short money. These chrome jobbies will go in ze trash.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
1/6/17 8:21 p.m.

Looking good! What did you go with for replacements on the shocks?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/7/17 5:04 p.m.

Countdown to reassembly now

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/7/17 5:13 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP:

Don't know who makes them. Common-Motor.com sells them.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1ro17f3rfxwYL4DRsQY2JV8BRHCkYXl6n7ISfefh9mHSJRGOV6XNykcqcA4weiFo