1 2
pres589
pres589 UberDork
7/2/15 10:37 a.m.

55mpg on commuting duty? That's at least 10 clicks better than my VFR. I wish the FZ-09 offered some ability to mount a center stand, but everything I've read says it's not possible. Very curious what you think of this bike for long rides. How tall are you & what's your leg length like?

Should not trade my bike in, should not trade my bike in...

EDIT: I have discovered that there are center stands available for the FZ-09. And cycle-ergo.com makes it look like a step away from my VFR to an FZ-09 would probably be a more comfortable bike to ride save for wind effects. Oh lord help me stay away from this temptation.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
7/2/15 10:41 a.m.

6', 32" inseam. I think a softer seat and a flyscreen would make this a fantastic bike for longer cruising. THe engine just never works hard at any speed. Granted, I just tickled triple digits once or twice and by accident.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
7/2/15 10:50 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Soft seats can be worse on long rides though, I think it really depends. I see that there's a number of aftermarket options out there from Corbin, Sargent, and other companies. I probably won't do anything this year but these are much more on my radar now.

Cool stuff, watching this thread with interest.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
7/2/15 10:52 a.m.

Yeah, I'm on a bit of a spending moratorium at this point. Something about dropping that kind of cash on something that isn't needed seems to bother the wife a little! But she knows this makes me happy.

Now... if I can just get the NH sold I'm golden.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/2/15 11:19 a.m.
pres589 wrote: Oh lord help me stay away from this temptation.

Whatever you do - do not google 2015 BMW SX1000R

I eagerly await the depreciation curve to help cure my sweaty palms.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
7/2/15 11:52 a.m.

In reply to pres589:

I still don't understand some people's fixation with having a center stand. What gives with that?

pres589
pres589 UberDork
7/2/15 12:17 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Chain & tire service, especially on the road, is much easier with a center stand.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
7/2/15 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Inline four? No thanks.

7/2/15 12:37 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Inline four? No thanks.

Oh, 'cmon... 160HP, shaft drive, upright seating, radial mounted brakes, ABS and matching luggage. It's a Multistrada minus the italian engineering. What's not to love?

pres589
pres589 UberDork
7/2/15 12:51 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Too much money, too much power, probably too much weight, too much plastic body work (I know, I own a VFR, but I'd like to get away from all the fairings with my next bike). FZ-09 seems to come with a 3.7 gallon fuel tank which seems overly small. Hrm.

7/2/15 2:55 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Too much money, too much power, probably too much weight, too much plastic body work (I know, I own a VFR, but I'd like to get away from all the fairings with my next bike). FZ-09 seems to come with a 3.7 gallon fuel tank which seems overly small. Hrm.

I have to agree on the SX price... $16k is redonkyoules.

The FZ is a really nice package and if it's going to be getting 55mpg, 3.7g is just over 200 miles - safety sammy stops at 180 just to be certain. That is reasonable range - it's certainly not a super tourer or anything but it's roughly 3-4hrs of run time (off highway) unless you are hammering on it.

I just looked up the specs again - it makes 15 more HP than my 1200 GSA from that 850cc triple and weighs a 100lbs less. Decent midrange torques too. Sweet. I would always be hammering on it :)

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
7/2/15 3:58 p.m.

GPS, I've not been "hammering" it, but I haven't kept the little "eco" light on the display on all the time either. That torque is addicting as E36 M3. second gear, 2k rpms and roll on the throttle puts you up and over 70 in a blink looking for 3rd. I think I could get it up into the upper 50's low 60's if I can get over this amazement at this engine. I've never owned ANYTHING that makes power that long.

Also, it makes 40hp more than the NH and weighs OVER 100lbs less. So yeah.

Just need to get her cleaned up and take some good pics soon.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
7/2/15 4:00 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to yamaha: Chain & tire service, especially on the road, is much easier with a center stand.

To be honest, I clean/lube/wax my chains about every month or so. Worked just fine while averaging 2000mi a month. I'd probably half that interval if chain wax wasn't so awesome. Usually lines up well with when I need tires as well. 6k for the front and 4k for the rear. I replace chains/sprockets every other year anyways.

Tire service, meh. If its too bad you can't plug/fill with a co2 kit, you're screwed anyways.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/4/15 7:10 a.m.

Nice bike. Where do you he a the NH listed?

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
7/4/15 8:38 a.m.

In reply to neon4891:

It was in the open classifieds section, and has been sold.

About damn time.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
7/4/15 10:27 a.m.

I won't lie. There were a few tears shed.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/4/15 1:12 p.m.

Quite possibly the last couple of nice days of hte season to ride... so I did. made two "laps" around my favorite stretch of road around work on lunch.

Also.... averaged 50.7 mpg all summer long, 1500 miles since July.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
11/4/15 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

And a great day in Brown County that I ruined with a wahbulance ride.....

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/4/15 1:41 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: And a great day in Brown County that I ruined with a wahbulance ride.....

mEH.... I got more riding in than I planned that day! 300+ miles. BTW, how is tht shoulder?

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
11/4/15 2:07 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Collarbone is still in 2 pieces according to X-ray(yay scar tissue) but I have full range of motion without pain

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
6/16/16 6:52 p.m.

Still in love with it a year later?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
6/16/16 10:17 p.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote: Still in love with it a year later?

I don't know how he would not be! I still love my 3 cylinder bike. (Triumph 1050 Tiger)

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
6/16/16 11:04 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke:

Me too! (955i tiger)

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
6/17/16 9:22 a.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote: Still in love with it a year later?

Nope. Hate it.

Nah, seriously though I just did my first oil change (2nd for the bike), I've put 2500 miles on it. I would have ridden today but I've been needing to adjust hte chain and relube for a while and have put it off too long. Added a used short windscreen and it made a hellva difference at speed.

HEre is it now:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o7i6kpLfXaLflXCe3YqVz1sEPoPY6u4yyxZgrktaP4ht5M28jJEOwALekMpKWVgX