1 2
Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
9/4/13 12:43 p.m.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
9/4/13 2:16 p.m.
Shooterj2003 wrote: In reply to 914Driver: sorry,in my haste to support my chosen favorite I did not note the date but better late than never.I'm not perfect ,if that's the worst thing I ever did I 'd sure sleep easier.

I would have to say that the worst thing you have ever done to anyone is to recommend an iron head sportster to a relative HD newbie.

Hey, I know where there's most of one hanging on the wall as art. That's about the best use, and the one way to get reliable use out of it.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
9/6/13 11:54 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

Freebirds World Burrito on Northgate?

How does a 12.5 second bike (Sportster 1200) end up as stoplight drag race king? Four grand in Aggieland buys you a CBR1000RR that'll run mid-tens with an amateur on the back.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
9/7/13 12:50 a.m.

20 years ago, that was real fast.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
9/7/13 8:43 a.m.

Actually, I was thinking of the one at a friend of mine's, but yea, there's that one in Northgate, and there's several on the wall at Sturgis. Also, don't forget that stoplight drag races aren't a quarter mile, and Harleys have that hole shot from the torque. Of course, once the jap bike gets into it's HP curve, it's about over. And the top fuel stuff is a whole different game. Majestic Turbo out of Waco (who rebuilt the T3 that was on the Esprit ((RIP)) ) was building "Harley" drag bikes of around a thousand HP. I say "Harley" because besides the sticker on the tank, I'm not sure what all was actually MoCo produced, but they are V-twins that basically look like a Harley.

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
9/15/13 7:54 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: '79 was HD's very worst year of all time, and the end of the AMF era. '82 was better than '79, but still quite problematic. Iron head Sportsters are the worst of all things HD. They shake themselves apart, everything breaks or falls off, weak transmissions, clutches, top ends, generator electrical systems, I could go on.

Man I couldn't agree with this more. One of my co-workers has one of these. Kept getting oil leaks - turns out fasteners were coming loose from the vibrations. Now it needs a top end.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
9/27/13 4:58 p.m.
CamaroKeith said: Man I couldn't agree with this more. One of my co-workers has one of these. Kept getting oil leaks - turns out fasteners were coming loose from the vibrations. Now it needs a top end.

Funny.. I know a dude with the same exact issue... He ended up buying another one to replace it.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/27/13 6:44 p.m.

In reply to chaparral:

These stoplight drags must be 60-100ft long. Most powerful sport bikes will wheelie hard if you try launching them......I learned this two weeks ago. There was a guy riding a victory bagger that night as well......no Harleys though.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
9/27/13 7:31 p.m.
yamaha wrote: These stoplight drags must be 60-100ft long. Most powerful cruisers will wheelie hard if you try launching them since you're pretty much sitting over the back tire.
yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/27/13 8:16 p.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro: You need to try launching my first gen zx10 on a sticky surface, that would change your opinion very quickly.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
9/27/13 8:25 p.m.
Shooterj2003 wrote: In reply to 914Driver: sorry,in my haste to support my chosen favorite I did not note the date but better late than never.I'm not perfect ,if that's the worst thing I ever did I 'd sure sleep easier.
Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
9/27/13 8:35 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

I'm not favouring cruisers at all, I like my standards very much.

I've watched a couple guys on Victorys and Harleys who nearly had the bike get away from them trying to launch it at a stop light.

I have no doubt your ZX10 can pull the front wheel off the ground.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/28/13 7:15 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: In reply to yamaha: I'm not favouring cruisers at all, I like my standards very much. I've watched a couple guys on Victorys and Harleys who nearly had the bike get away from them trying to launch it at a stop light. I have no doubt your ZX10 can pull the front wheel off the ground.

Ahh, if I ever make the challenge, I'll be bring the 10 as my "pit bike".

themessnz
themessnz None
10/23/13 3:15 a.m.

In reply to Shooterj2003: Mate, who cares if it took ya four years to talk up an Iron-head, good on ya. I've had my 1982 XLH for thirty-one years (since it was a wee scooter) and it just keeps getting faster! I love my 2010 XR1200X and my 1976 Bonnie, but that old Iron-head has got its claws into my heart. I still love riding it, it has a zillion miles on it, and it still looks bloody good.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/23/13 10:11 a.m.

I love this video.

I've seen a lot of guys KNOW that their bike is faster and get beat by slower bikes. Motorcycle racing is much more about the rider than auto racing.

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
10/23/13 11:59 a.m.

people still think that sports bikes can launch because they "dont have low end torque"? many lulz

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
10/23/13 12:31 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Trans_Maro: You need to try launching my first gen zx10 on a sticky surface, that would change your opinion very quickly.

I wish my Speed Triple would spin a little at the track...it wheelies through first even with all 230lbs of my laying on the tank and it's only around 130hp. The short wheelbase sure doesn't help.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/24/13 12:32 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: I love this video. I've seen a lot of guys KNOW that their bike is faster and get beat by slower bikes. Motorcycle racing is much more about the rider than auto racing.

I hadn't seen that before. Brilliant. :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fB4vjgfl9r4RaLcVK5zBGxPLCu3T5DYYF7fN0IpjPo4qdN777jMZVEYPjBZ93Syn