NGTD
NGTD UberDork
7/20/18 2:33 a.m.

Now that the separation agreement is almost done, and one could say that I’m headlong into a mid-life crisis, I’m thinking seriously about getting back to riding.

I was thinking of a Suzuki SV650 and I stopped by a local dealer to see if they had any. They didn’t and the dealer was steering me hard toward a GSX650F. They had a couple of really nice ones. Specs seem pretty nice- FI, 85 hp, relaxed riding position. It really pushed my buttons.

Any experience here with one?

the_machina
the_machina New Reader
7/20/18 6:32 a.m.

Naked twin compared to a relaxed faired inline four are apples and oranges. There's also the grumblings that Suzuki is on rocky financial terms and could bankrupt and make everyone concerned about warranty support and parts availability. In that "returning rider" ballpark, have you looked at a FZ-07?

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
7/20/18 7:33 a.m.
the_machina said:

Naked twin compared to a relaxed faired inline four are apples and oranges. There's also the grumblings that Suzuki is on rocky financial terms and could bankrupt and make everyone concerned about warranty support and parts availability. In that "returning rider" ballpark, have you looked at a FZ-07?

I was looking at the version of the SV650 that had at least the 1/2 fairing, not the naked one. I have looked at the Yamaha FZ-07 just now, but they are not in my price range. They are too new.

the_machina
the_machina New Reader
7/20/18 11:28 a.m.

If you're not buying new, there's no reason not to browse through cycletrader and craigslist and facebook for a nice SV-650. There's a reason they're so popular.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/21/18 6:27 a.m.

Should be plenty of those to choose from on the market. I had a V-Strom, the adventure version of the same drivetrain. Nice machine for road use. I think that is a good choice; not too slow, not too heavy, not stupid amounts of power or weight to get you in trouble.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
7/21/18 6:38 a.m.
the_machina said:

If you're not buying new, there's no reason not to browse through cycletrader and craigslist and facebook for a nice SV-650. There's a reason they're so popular.

Agreed. Stay away from bike dealers if you can. You can save a lot buying private

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
7/22/18 11:20 p.m.

Well - I skipped the dealer- had to make a run to Guelph, but I saved at least $1000, plus tax and it has a few aftermarket parts to boot.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
7/23/18 12:11 a.m.

Nice bike. 

With all that extra money you had to spend I hope you stopped at Royal while you were in Guelph!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/23/18 10:31 a.m.

Good price GREAT color!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
7/23/18 1:39 p.m.
914Driver said:

Good price GREAT color!

Yeah - I loved the colour too - major reason why I did the 5 hour round trip. Way nicer IMO than the white/black/blue combo.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
7/23/18 1:41 p.m.

Nice!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
7/24/18 10:13 p.m.

Heading out tomorrow afternoon by train to drive it home. Plates, ownership and insurance in place. New helmet and gloves. Still have to find a decent jacket.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/25/18 12:37 a.m.

Sounds like a great adventure! Congrats on the new bike; hope you have a smooth ride home.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
7/25/18 8:35 a.m.

Best of luck!  Not sure how long its been since you last rode but The people are stupider and your brakes are better, both can make for a interesting ride for someone re-entering bike riding BE CAUTIOUS.  

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
7/26/18 6:49 p.m.
44Dwarf said:

Best of luck!  Not sure how long its been since you last rode but The people are stupider and your brakes are better, both can make for a interesting ride for someone re-entering bike riding BE CAUTIOUS.  

I haven't ridden since I was 25. I'm 51 now.

Made it home across the 401 through Toronto. My head pretty much was moving constantly keeping track of all the 4k lb 4 wheelers looking to get me.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
7/26/18 7:58 p.m.

Oh the 401 Queens Hwy.  Been a long time since I've been on it, Too Long.   Nice road when out of the citys.

Enjoy !

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
9/22/18 2:28 a.m.

Well, I have put almost 2000 kms on the bike since I bought it. A mix of weekend rides and work commute. Over half the work commute is on a 2 lane highway with limited passing opportunities. The bike shines in that element.

Lovin it!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
10/12/18 9:35 p.m.

With fall in full swing up here rides are getting fewer, but we had some nice weather last week and I made it out for a ride after work. Approaching 9000 kms on the odo from the 6700 when I bought it. Stopped to get a photo at dusk.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/13/18 12:26 a.m.

Welcome back! Returning to riding is one of the best 'midlife crisis' things I've done...it looks like you are doing the same. I love these fall days for riding, cool and beautiful with a chance of warm sunshine in the afternoon!

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
10/15/18 6:15 p.m.

I'm about 60 days away from completing my first year back on two wheels. Haven't ridden since the mid 90s and that bike kinda sucked. My current bike is much, much nicer. (Honda CBR650f) I didn't plan on it at the time, but it turns out I'm helping save the planet by using less resources. Who knew my bike would make me a better person? That Suzuki has a fantastic color on it.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
10/16/18 2:39 p.m.

I printed T-shirts a few years back.  "Motorcycles more smiles per mile then any hybrid"

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fKNb5yNjI69Qa8IMrb3VFsOvUnVqkhvjAF8kZqfgsk8424IhaP6T3XonNCIViZuh