Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/25/14 6:42 a.m.

I recently started reading Ride Apart as a way to stay abreast of current trends. What I have found is that most readers are of the opinion that only the latest and greatest bikes are worthy of owning. The editorial staff has mire diverse opinions, but many readers are quick to label those who play with (modify) old bikes as hipsters. Those who ride cruisers with jackets full of patches are called pirates. Apparently only those who are ATTGATT with the latest gear on the latest bike are "real" motorcyclists. What is wrong with people in this hobby. I thought the car world was segmented, it is downright unified compared to the motorcycle world.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/25/14 7:05 a.m.

I think the unity of GRM has given you a skewed view of how unified the car world is.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/25/14 7:24 a.m.

The world is full of people who are wrong.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/25/14 8:10 a.m.

The motorcycle world is divided only if you hang out with divisive riders.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/25/14 10:34 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Not at all. I understand just how divided the car world is, but the vitriol among cyclists wins (loses) hands down. I guess I am an oddity. I own three vintage UJM's with hints of cafe', a fourth UJM setup like a scrambler and a Suzuki Katana 750F. I don't see the need to own a certain kind of bike. I will probably own a cruiser someday (probably a muscle cruiser).

Among my car fleet, I own a Neon FSP car, a Shelby Dakota a 2007 Dakota Quad H.O. V8 and a 2011 Impreza Outback Sport 5-speed (wife's daily driver). I like them all... because each is different.

Stop the hate! ;)

Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/25/14 10:35 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: The motorcycle world is divided only if you hang out with divisive riders.

You are correct. I think I am done with Ride Apart.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
3/26/14 10:42 p.m.

I can't ride with someone that doesn't see the humor in suiting up to look like a Power Ranger.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/27/14 6:33 a.m.

I see the humor in it. I see the safety benefits. What I find hypocritical is that many participants will base cruiser, cafe and even casual UJM riders for caving into style and image yet they do the same. This is like people in one area of the country ridiculing the funny accents in other regions. Hint: You have an accent too.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
3/27/14 8:55 a.m.

Rideapart is like Jalopnik with Bikes. The articles can be OK but the commentors ruin the experience. There are too many idiots that use the internet to put others down for doing whatever. Don't worry, eventually hipster will move on from bikes and then people who like old bikes will just be considered weird.

Yani
Yani Reader
3/27/14 9:59 a.m.

Ride Apart used to have good articles, but lately it's nothing but rehashed manufacturers press sheets.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
3/27/14 11:16 a.m.

Jalopnik = berkeleying Bob Costass

RideApart sounds like nothing different

Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/27/14 7:07 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Jalopnik = berkeleying Bob Costass RideApart sounds like nothing different

I preferred The Truth About Cars, but then I used to write for the site occasionally.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
3/28/14 7:08 a.m.

The only thing you can take from this is that RideApart readers-at least those that take the time to respond-are an opinionated bunch. Read something else.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/28/14 1:47 p.m.

I did fine as long as I didn't read the comments. Just like YouTube.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/28/14 6:51 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: I did fine as long as I didn't read the comments. Just like YouTube.

Very good advice.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CtJ6BPTRpUsTgYdzNtkaEycAAMZzsy9wFGaUdeGPNaRjqTYf8c2aCxjZDSV4MYDL