1 2
stroker
stroker SuperDork
11/5/14 4:02 p.m.

Seems to me like $500 motorcycles in a similar series would be screamingly popular...?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
11/5/14 6:57 p.m.

I believe there is a vintage motorcycle racing group that limits itself to 150cc and under bikes.

Apparently rubbing elbows, running at 10/10ths at 50mph is gobs of fun.

Too bad I'm a bit on the large side for that kind of shenanigans.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
11/5/14 7:20 p.m.

I think there's a lot more risk involved when people aren't inside cages. I know I wouldn't want to go out there with a bunch of novices and inexperienced racers.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
11/5/14 8:16 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: I think there's a lot more risk involved when people aren't inside cages. I know I wouldn't want to go out there with a bunch of novices and inexperienced racers.

That would be my concern...a bunch of novices on beat up bikes with old hard tires.

There is a race series for the Honda CB160, there are probably others. However, the bikes are prepared.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
11/5/14 9:36 p.m.

I think there are a few organizations that hold "small bore" motorcycle road racing events, in fact, years ago someone on this forum posted some YouTube videos of scooters and XR100s and such racing on a go kart track. Durring one of my trips to NJMP, I noticed a group engaging in very similar shenanigans on the kart track there. I doubt speeds ever exceed 50 MPH, but it looks Mega fun.

I think that would be the way to go for safe low-buck wheel to wheel road racing on two wheels. I would be inclined to join them, if I knew who was holding these events.

I would not want to go racing with a bunch of $500 Katanas and Ninjas at triple digit speeds with properly trained bike racers, let alone amateurs. Who would insure an operation like that?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/5/14 11:11 p.m.

You would need 15 helicopters standing by.

However, you CAN race supermotard pretty cheap. Mixed asphalt and dirt. Small bore bikes. Think 1WD rallycross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z5KXM_IYlI

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
11/6/14 6:49 a.m.

My determination to win is so much greater than my riding talents. Races would have to be staggered to give me enough time to get me out of the hospital.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
11/6/14 8:51 a.m.

Cheap motor -> blow up -> oil dropped -> slippy slidey -> very painful crash -> half the field goes down on oil slick?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
11/6/14 9:26 a.m.

This might work(i.e. low death toll) if you put a 50cc cap on it, moped racing.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
11/6/14 9:49 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: This might work(i.e. low death toll) if you put a 50cc cap on it, moped racing.

That's probably the only way. Even then I would think there would be trips to the hospital every race.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/6/14 1:27 p.m.

There is an outdoor cart track near me that does a spec XR100 class that looks like a blast.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
11/7/14 9:40 a.m.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't have any problem with racing in a similar series. I wouldn't want a LeMons type situation with extraneous crap attached to the bikes but a series with properly-prepped bikes I just don't see a problem...

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/7/14 9:44 a.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: I think there's a lot more risk involved when people aren't inside cages. I know I wouldn't want to go out there with a bunch of novices and inexperienced racers.

Only every time I ride on the street.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
11/7/14 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

You have a good point there, but 99% of drivers aren't pushing their limits and running out of talent on a closed course very close to you.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
11/7/14 11:28 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: This might work(i.e. low death toll) if you put a 50cc cap on it, moped racing.

Having been on a Aprilia rs50, 50cc's even in a stock configuration is more bike then most people could handle.

500$-100$ as long as the bikes are prepped equally it would be down to the rider not the builder who won.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/7/14 12:40 p.m.
Gasoline wrote: My determination to win is so much greater than my riding talents. Races would have to be staggered to give me enough time to get me out of the hospital.

That looks like tons of fun

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
11/7/14 1:15 p.m.

I found the group operating at NJMP. NJ mini GP

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
11/7/14 4:32 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
Having been on a Aprilia rs50, 50cc's even in a stock configuration is more bike then most people could handle. 500$-100$ as long as the bikes are prepped equally it would be down to the rider not the builder who won.

Ok, spec Honda Spree?

stroker
stroker SuperDork
11/8/14 9:23 a.m.

What if you restricted it to a max of 500cc OR Singles and required a club racing permit?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/8/14 9:28 a.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: In reply to Flight Service: You have a good point there, but 99% of drivers are pushing their limits and running out of talent on an open road very close to you.

FTFY

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
11/10/14 6:51 a.m.

Beagle
Beagle New Reader
11/13/14 5:56 p.m.

I really don't want to offend anybody, but for some reason this and the "I wouldn't ride it" 300 hp Kawasaki thread makes me wonder what forum I wound up on. Is this a Motorsports forum or old ladies knitting circle?

I wouldn't go racing a 500.00 car on A78/13's from the 70's, much less a motorcycle with original tires and I didn't think Chump counted tires or brakes in the budget? I doubt anybody in their right mind would. Since it's not TV fiction, I can't see a tech inspector allowing weather checked rock hard tires on the track. I can't see somebody showing up to race a motorcycle in their leathers falling into the "novice" category either, but maybe I'm underestimating some folk's suicidal tendencies. I've been riding for over 40 years and know that I have no place on a racetrack with any kind of podium expectations, but didn't every "Pro" out there have to start as a Novice somewhere?

Old bike engines are no more likely (probably less likely) to spread parts and oil on the track than a 500.00 car engine. The guy who shows up with a 500.00 Katana might well have a knowledge of engines exceeding that of the 500.00 Camaro driver. It's not as easy to rebuild and tune a multi carb setup as it is to slap a new fuel pump in an old fuel injected car heap and have it run right again, and nobody wants to scatter an engine between their knees and under their nuts.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant. Some of the comments must have struck a nerve. I'd guess it would be a logistical nightmare trying to keep some "pro" knee grinders with a "500.00" vintage super-rat-bike determined to win from mowing down the new guy who shows up with a Honda Elite 250 wanting to have fun. The slower folks would have to be extra aware of their surroundings for certain. Calling BS on the 500.00 budget would be a lot harder than it would be with a car. The track insurance is probably what keeps it from happening.

All that said, the originally posted question just made me hit craigslist. Thanks for that. haha. Yep, as I feared, there's a 600 Katana for 500.00 ... and I have a buddy with a 500.00 89 CR250 that would be fun to supermoto. Ooops.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
11/13/14 7:35 p.m.

In reply to Beagle:

YEAH. WHAT HE SAID.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
11/17/14 3:41 p.m.

http://www.oregonsuperbikers.com/

I did a supermoto race with my KX125. Didn't take much for prep work. I already had a trials tire on the rear, which was really just a vintage styled dual sport tire because that was all that would fit the 19" rear. I had a 21" front street tire already from my KLX. Some skateboard wheels and a kitchen cutting board and I had sliders. It was fun.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
11/21/14 5:34 p.m.

Most fun motorcycle racing I have seen was MB5's at Summit Point. Imagine a pack of 20 bikes coming down the chute 4 wide and 5 deep taking up as much track space as a couple E30's nose to tail.

Honda MB5: 49cc, ~6HP, 5-speed, and a 10,500rpm redline!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4FdDrCXUK1rdIhvJA6VsNK4KAReBynK5ZcqhKHyoRXwaDMnIQ7rUPZDxmIlFdwSj