MGS10
MGS10 New Reader
8/13/16 1:22 p.m.

I have two questions regarding chassis tuning and could use some guidance. My MGB is getting better but I could use some cheap time effective guidance.

I measured my corner weights on my car with me in the drivers seat and got roughly the following LF 690 RF 590 LR 520 RR 520

My front suspension is coilovers and rear leaf springs, I am debating at least now how much I may have to gain from adjusting this. I have 52% of my weight on the LF-RR diagonal and 48% on the RF-LR.

I am also looking at dialing in my front alignment. So far I have used balance and feel and the car feels neutral but I want to continue to dial things in, this time using tire temperatures. I have seen the cost of tire pyrometers, is there any cheaper option that will still give me better information than the old shoe polish and feeling the the inside and outside of the tires with my hands?

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/13/16 3:53 p.m.

An infrared temp gun is a good intermediate step. Not great as the cooling of the tire surface is faster than the underlying layers, but it worked pretty well for me when I was racing on a tight budget. Needle type is best though.

MGS10
MGS10 New Reader
8/14/16 4:33 p.m.

Thanks, I was curious if those would provide useful information and if anyone had used them.

Eric60
Eric60 New Reader
8/22/16 8:34 a.m.

In reply to MGS10:

I also use the IR gun to adjust tire pressures and camber settings for years. I get very even tire wear using this method for both racing and HPDE's and my cars handle very well, too. Take temps in pit lane as soon as you get off track for the best readings. Get the front tire temps close to even across the tread. the rears on a solid axle will be hot on the outer edge. Set the pressures so the mid is halfway between inner and outer. Based on how the car now handles - OS or US - adjust bars and springs to get your mid-turn balance.

youngfg
youngfg New Reader
8/22/16 9:51 a.m.

Your ideal corner weights since your car has 52.1% left weight are.

LF 667, RF 613, LR 541, RR 499

You are far enough off that I would try to adjust them closer, I try to get within 10 lbs. of the ideal weight.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yhxbbZT2qxIxHz1HCnsISDoaVJAnqqnJI5C9qU0XhaAfsrZL9OOikJ4QdIek3aYt