ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/18/22 9:43 a.m.

Need to pull that limo tint off the used car you just bought so you can drive at night? Walk right past that bottle of window tint remover spray at the parts store. Instead go to the home cleaning isle and get a steamer. Preferably one with a small handheld nozzle. They make them for floor and upholstery cleaning and for steaming wrinkles from clothing. You might even be able to use the steam function on your clothes iron.

Pull the window glass from the car if you can. Using the steamer, get the glass nice and warm. Do a couple passes on the outside, then focus your attention on the tint film on the inside. Use your finger nail or a plastic razor blade to peel up a corner and steadily pull the film from the glass. Keep running the steamer back and forth ahead of the removal to give the film one last blast of heat.

If you did it well almost all of the adhesive will come off with the film instead of staying on the glass. Clean up any remaining adhesive with your favorite solvent. I like Goo Gone.

- Sean

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/22 5:33 p.m.

I've heard that any glass cleaner with ammonia will take tint off pretty well.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
12/18/22 5:53 p.m.

I have seen a steam cleaner used  for removing clear bras on cars. Looked like it worked better than a heat gun.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6rl6F51UCgrFpMjj13vMc2zSgeCsG9lRC0T7PGjYyKIJ27kBaUkvUiXzIVeh9Y8d