MattGent
MattGent Reader
8/10/16 7:56 p.m.

Thread from 2016:

Need a new general-use multi-meter. Home, projects, cars, etc. HF one I have had for a while just crapped out. As far as features, beeping for continuity (with a switch) and a live wire / current detector would be nice. Any suggestions for a quality unit at a decent value?

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/10/16 8:30 p.m.

I use one of these pretty regularly. It's been pretty reliable for the past few years.

https://www.amazon.com/IDEAL-61-744-Clamp-Pro-Clamp-Meter/dp/B001TAM3DC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1470878869&sr=8-2&keywords=ideal+600

mikedd969
mikedd969 New Reader
10/28/18 12:21 p.m.

I've been in the Electronics repair game for decades.  Personally I prefer an analog meter for a lot of my automotive applications.  I use a Simpson 260 a lot of the time, but....I'm old, and they do require a bit more knowledge and experience to use properly.

My all-time favorite Digital Multimeter (DMM) for general work is the Fluke 77, the older Series-II ones.  They are basic, easy to use, and rugged as hell.  You can pick up one on E-Bay for less than $75 all day long.  I'm a big fan of the Fluke meters, been using them since the mid-80's.  The one I have was issued to me in 1989, back in my Navy days....it somehow found it's way into my seabag when I left the Navy in '96......  smiley

If you want s few more bells and whistles, the Fluke 87-V is a solid choice.  It is also available used for a decent price, usually around $100 to $130 and adds some additional "nice to have" features like Relative (delta) measurement, Frequency (and duty cycle) Min-Max, A diode-check mode, capacitance value  and the ability to use a thermocouple to measure temperature.  

Meters are like any other tool, in that investing a little more $$ in a quality instrument usually pays off in the long run. There is no need to go crazy, and spend a ton of money vor 90% of users, but do yourself a favor and get a good one.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/18 4:59 p.m.

Fluke is the brand to get if you don't mind the price. I have a couple of these. 

They turn up in the pawn shops on occasion for around $50 and will do 95% of what needs doing. They are also damn near indestructible. 

amerson
amerson New Reader
11/5/18 9:08 p.m.

Klein is a good multimeter that won't break the bank. I have a Klein MM2000.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U2475JOsIv7opSxH58EleBJoIjAHIHOkDAdvCm2ercS2Wh42bpUQsxKYSNpYcE0w