bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/8/19 12:36 p.m.

what's your most efficient way of cutting through exhaust pipes, or other metal when that just makes the most sense?  I'm thinking if you wanted to preserve both flanges, or just harvest the tube and don't care about the flanges type of situations.

I was thinking about trying a wire saw. Anyone here used one for cutting metal tube/pipe?

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/19 12:43 p.m.

battery powered sawzall?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/8/19 12:48 p.m.
Stefan said:

battery powered sawzall?

This. I love mine 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
11/8/19 1:05 p.m.

battery powered sawzal or die grinder.

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
11/8/19 2:01 p.m.

I prefer the This Old Tony judo punch.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/8/19 2:09 p.m.

If just exhaust, try this for $35

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/19 2:13 p.m.

Our DIY yard wont allow anything that creates sparks so grinders are out. Battery sawzall FTW.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/8/19 2:47 p.m.

Battery seawall.

It's magic. 

Works for engine removal also.  Something holding engine in?  Not for long.

bluej
11/8/19 2:54 p.m.

I thought you couldn't bring those in any longer, at least in the local LKQ yards. Maybe I have that wrong. I agree, sawsall w/ a fresh blade or 3 would rock. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
11/8/19 3:10 p.m.

It's funny, because I was just about to post something about Junkyard Laws here. 

Sawsalls are really nice for some things, but if you are really good with a hacksaw, (as an electrician, I used my hacksaw to cut almost everything up to 3" conduit by hand before decent battery powered PortaBands came out) you'll find yourself as quick or quicker than a Sawzall, while travelling lighter, burning up less blades and batteries, and getting some decent cardio at the same time. I have an aluminum framed saw with a tapered front that is light, sturdy, and gets into almost as many places as a Sawzall. 

I found that I could pull the Dana 44 rear end out of a Cherokee in under 20 minutes without wrenches in my prime. 

bluej
11/8/19 3:20 p.m.

Yeah, hacksaw would be the other option,  but sometimes having a long blade on the sawsall let's you get in places you otherwise might not.

That's one of the reasons I was thinking a wire saw might work better than a hack.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
11/8/19 3:23 p.m.

In my experience, a longer blade just means you are more likely to bend it. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
11/8/19 3:26 p.m.

But if you are in really tight area, a wire saw or a chain based cutter really work well. 

TJL
TJL HalfDork
11/8/19 3:40 p.m.

I expected they wouldnt want power tools at my local lkq, but ive also heard people with gas powered abrasive saws in there. Lots of sawzalls too. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zMPmbE7eAGSpGc9XfJZAINNiD4dDSsSUWY0bBLBdPm1DpnfnzdbqNdzpKIsBnsCS