jfryjfry (Forum Supporter)
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/4/20 9:00 a.m.

I've had good luck finding dropped screws and whatnot by getting a flashlight and putting it on the ground shooting it across the floor. It makes small things stand out by casting longer shadows 

of course it needs to be darkish but maybe it will help you find that 10mm socket

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/4/20 9:08 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) :

Doesn't work for brass or aluminum but my favorite tool is a telescopic magnet .  

No Time
No Time Dork
10/4/20 9:10 a.m.

I've found tires are really good at finding those sharp objects like nails and drywall screws. They even provide a visual indication.

But seriously, I agree with the OP and the flashlight at ground level works well. Some parts will make shadows and other provide a bright spot as a reflection off their shiny surfaces. 

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/4/20 10:48 a.m.

I remember a piece of advice from years ago. When taking apart something with tiny parts, sit on the floor and work there. There is just no place left for parts to fall to.

Springs, on the other hand...

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
10/9/20 9:00 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

If it's small enough, put the things with springs in a ziplock bag to take apart

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/9/20 10:24 p.m.

25 years ago i thought it would be so cool to have a black and white checker board floor in my race shop...  every little screw seemed to always land on a black square.

Now all my shop floors are as white as I can get them.  And lots and lots of LED 5000K lights.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/5/20 8:14 p.m.

Flooring is just as important as the tool you use. Floor color is hugely important in not losing your sanity.

I just bought a building and the sadistic PO painted the floor grey and threw in black and white flakes. Now his poor choice in floor finishing has become a HUGE problem when I drop stuff! At first, when I scrubbed and cleaned the place, it looked really nice. Once I began moving in and using the place, it became quite apparent that it can't stay that way!

In the other area, I painted the floor light grey and it's SO much better!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/5/20 8:22 p.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

25 years ago i thought it would be so cool to have a black and white checker board floor in my race shop...  every little screw seemed to always land on a black square.

Now all my shop floors are as white as I can get them.  And lots and lots of LED 5000K lights.

I'm pretty sure that you've posted this before.

I'm​​​​ very sure that you're doing us all a favor by sharing this. 

Thanks!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/5/20 10:17 p.m.

I didn't like the black / white tiles all along... except my friend with his one owner 65 GTO 'vert, (parking spot only) garage. Including the red sparkly stools at the table near the wurlitzer. The working garage was light gray.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/5/20 10:18 p.m.
No Time said:

I've found tires are really good at finding those sharp objects like nails and drywall screws. They even provide a visual indication.

I've found flip flops are good at it also surprise

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/19/20 9:11 p.m.

Sometimes, I'll drop an identical part while watching closely - a lot of the time they will bounce or roll in the same way. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/19/20 9:52 p.m.

My shop in NY was gray with black flakes.  It looked great but also did a fabulous job of hiding small dropped parts.  I won't make that choice again.  I found the best way to find dropped parts is to purchase, or fabricate a replacement.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qOXTlaPn5w4lKA1JOXOBHha7eAIAO6qpmH72wbYwkhzlCp7b0M8zCjkKMmHLtlFw