Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/18/22 8:53 a.m.

Whats the best way to hang new pistons (and get the old ones off) without a proper rod heater? $15 ea x8 is a challenge budget hit at the machine shop.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/18/22 8:58 a.m.

I did it one time with a propane torch (on a small block Chevy build). I found it critical to build a jig to hold the piston and have a stop so the wrist pin drops in the correct depth. Once you're set up and heat the end of the rod with a torch you just work fast. They drop right in. 

metty
metty Reader
9/22/22 2:25 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

I did it one time with a propane torch (on a small block Chevy build). I found it critical to build a jig to hold the piston and have a stop so the wrist pin drops in the correct depth. Once you're set up and heat the end of the rod with a torch you just work fast. They drop right in. 

this. ive done 2x SBCs for boats this way. to get them off i have a couple of chunks of 1.5" solid square stock i use to support the piston in the press. heating the rod end to slip them in works great as long as you have a little fixture to stop them at the right depth

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam Reader
9/22/22 2:59 p.m.

Old come off with a hydraulic press. Just be sure to support the piston properly so you don't damage it.

Heating up the rod to go back on I stand the rod up against the end of my kerosene heater (torpedo/ready heater style). A min or two was all it needed to expand the rod enough for a slip fit of the pin. Make sure you have the pin and piston bores oiled up and ready ahead of time. Best to have the piston supported in a way that you can put some force into pushing the pin through. Not that its hard to push through but speed is the key. An minor off center of the pin I corrected with the press after everything cooled down.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/26/22 4:43 p.m.

Well dont have a press either...

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
9/28/22 2:39 p.m.

Harbor freight has them cheap. Or try used (Craigslist, marketplace, offerup, etc)

clshore
clshore Reader
10/11/22 11:32 a.m.

You can fangle a press fixture using a C-clamp, a bench vise, or a stout bolt/nut.

Supporting the piston without damage is important, a piece of wood can work in a pinch.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kwvPx9oTcJ5haBrJatvINL3uCFjl3Q4gXpsPU9Hu5OecMtqYsV22Fusw19PACVkK