Brian UltraDork
1/14/21 8:25 p.m.

On my Formula 350, I'm trying to unravel this mystery engine.  The biggest question I have is what the cam is.  I don't want to tear down the engine to pull the cam and measure it.  Any one measured it at the pushrod for example?
It's a hydraulic roller small block chevy.  
I am thinking about using a dial indicator to measure lift at the pushrod, but I heard that you can't do that on hydraulic lifters.
Any help is appreciated 

Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/14/21 8:30 p.m.

You might be able to if you pressurize the lifters.  That would likely require a second person to be holding a drill driving the oil pump.

I think you'd only get a rough measurement, though.  It may be enough to narrow it down.

Peabody UltimaDork
1/14/21 8:39 p.m.

If the lifters are pumped you can do it. If not you can pull the pushrod, make an extension for the indicator and take the measurement right off the lifter. 

If you thread the ball out of the end of the indicator you will probably find that a coat hanger wire will fit in the end. Cut as long a piece as you need 

Our Preferred Partners