Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
4/6/19 8:36 a.m.

Pro tip, buy yourself a set of these cute little flush cut Snapon pliers, use them ONLY for zip ties. I repeat, use them ONLY for zip ties. If you cut steel wire with them they are now trash. The result will be nice flush zip tie ends not the usual razor sharp ends you get with a normal set of diagonal cutters.

As you can see in the picture below, the lower one was cut with these flush cuts, the other with normal set of diagonal cutters. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/19 9:42 a.m.

Sprue Cutter. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/6/19 9:50 a.m.

I have also found that if you only have a pair of diagonal cutters at hand, that slightly melting the sharp cut edge with a lighter and then using the edge of the lighter to mush the melted plastic down keeps the blood loss to a minimum.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/6/19 6:34 p.m.

Zip tie gun for me. Snug and snipped in one pull.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
4/6/19 7:06 p.m.

I cut all my zip ties at a 45 degree angle, because JDM. devil

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
4/22/19 10:16 p.m.

I have a totally improper way to nip zip ties. First you lop off the big piece with whatever cutters, scissors, or blade you have on hand. Then you use cheap nail clippers to nip the remaining bit:

It comes out exactly as it does when I use my expensive flush cut pliers. It's an extra step compared to using the right tool but it has the advantage of cost as well not being lost in the giant mound of crap in the garage. Which is exactly where my flush cut pliers and zip tie gun have been for the last several months.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/19 6:18 a.m.

I don't cut them, ever. I lock a pair of needle nose vice grips on the tag end and twist it off.

No specialized tool needed.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
4/23/19 6:31 a.m.

You guys are living in last century. Google Twist Tail cable ties.

Strong, UV stable, twist off by hand, no sharp edges. You're welcome.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Catamount-11-in-30-lb-TwistTail-Cable-Tie-Black-50-Pack-TT-11-30-0-L/203423329

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/19 6:45 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

You win wink

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/23/19 7:00 a.m.

Not a big deal?  

We use steel bands on metal hoses and the tool cuts the end piece off.  

Our guys did a crappy job cutting the ends and an installer got cut which triggered a return of a batch of hoses along with a Quality Notice we have to respond to.

Yes,  it’s a big deal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
byp6XPo648MbBi3MvsWXUvDrOP74AL1k4iDCKrX71MTJDEefoRMWMaokPaMhQyZv