KentF
KentF New Reader
7/23/17 9:25 a.m.

My car is a summer driver and autocrosser. I have installed camber bolts and slotted the mounting holes so that when the struts are pushed all the way to the outside camber measures about -0.5 degrees and when pushed all the way in it measures about -2.5 degrees.

This way I can drive around all summer with the car set to near stock camber and then quickly switch to “autocross alignment” at an event simply by loosening the strut plates with a 15 mm socket. The car falls to the aggressive alignment on its own. Takes about two minutes. It took quite a bit of fussing to get this set up right. Also, with the plates pushed in and no other changes you get a very slight toe out (good for autocross, not for driving around).

The problem with this is that at the end of the event when it is 90 degrees and I am burned out and exhausted I have to jack the car up to get back to normal alignment. So I made a tool.

It is a simple angle iron bracket and screw that fits into a ¼” hole drilled into the inner fender liner and pulls the top of the strut back to the outboard limit (or anywhere you want to stop along the way).

The washer (painted red) is beveled on the inside of the hole to get a purchase on the strut threads and not damage them. To pull both struts out takes about 5 minutes and you do not have to jack the car. It is crude and could be better looking but effective. The nut on it is also 15 millimeter so you do not have to change sockets during the process. If tire temperatures indicate you need to remove some camber between runs you can do it quickly. I have been using this thing for several years now.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/17 10:43 a.m.

In reply to KentF:

That's genius!

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/23/17 11:23 a.m.

That's an excellent idea.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jTa1h1r8ABKMWuOfEjwhGNzcJSABHAZR3tWShESADIuICFjuJDoVF4aEyLL65lfy