1 2
Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
11/28/20 12:47 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

I always carry a can of PB blaster, liquid wrench, etc. Very important, since it also doubles as a wasp spray.

in my adventures at pick and pulls, wasps and hornets.. tend to like vw's for some reason

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/4/20 12:36 p.m.

Stock up on hardware for whatever car you're working on. Most cars use only a few different screw/bolts for the majority of the car so it's good to have extras. Same with light bulbs and fuses. 

keep items bolted together at checkout. They usually only charge you for the biggest piece of metal and the rest are free. 

do your first "round" without dragging all your tools along. I only take a screwdriver, needle nose, maybe a crescent wrench. If you find what you need, run back to the car and grab the rest of the tools. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/4/20 12:42 p.m.
ShawnG said:

2: Don't break E36 M3 just for fun, someone else might need that part.

I wish the yards would follow this rule.  Can't count how many times I have gone to pull a door or fender and found that the yard smashed it in when carrying the vehicle out there on their forklift.

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/5/20 5:41 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
ShawnG said:

2: Don't break E36 M3 just for fun, someone else might need that part.

I wish the yards would follow this rule.  Can't count how many times I have gone to pull a door or fender and found that the yard smashed it in when carrying the vehicle out there on their forklift.

It is always sad when you see something broken just because someone was malicious or a hack.  I would always put myself in the hack column, but I always took and take care to save what I can.  With that said, I have always been horrified when cars are lifted with a forklift.  I know time is money for these guys,  But I wonder what a cost analysis on what they could have sold vs what was broken would be interesting.  I was watching an episode of Roadkill where David bought his "disgustang" and you can watch the guy damage the hood of the car while moving it.  it is cringeworthy.

I rented a room many years ago  next to a classic junkyard.  People would run in and out of the yard frequently.  If I could, I'd watch and see that they were throwing parts over the fence and stealing them.  I was never able to catch the thieves.  I was in the junkyard once with my airedale terrier right after she had been groomed.  They captured my dog, put her in a room and called the pound.  When I got the dog back from the pound, I went and asked them why they had done this.  They said that they figured anyone with a dog that "nice" wouldn't be getting parts in a junkyard.  When you looked at their junkyard dogs I guess you would have to agree.

So I'm throwing down the rule not to bring your dog after it's been groomed.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Sbo2r0sifAKzDQAQXDeQtzoqGLAAdNzMWzP4FeIRbKPqef9pT7xTJrUSdwQBNlVI