dalek
dalek New Reader
10/3/16 8:37 a.m.

I got some VW Recaro seats I would love to make them meet with my Volvo 740 seat brackets. And that will require some welding to make a bracket to fit the Volvo Brackets. And I have no welder or access to a shop. Is there anyone in the Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill area in NC who could help me out?

What to use to make the brackets to be welded to the VW seat? I was thinking initially on using bed frame but I am open for suggestions.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
10/4/16 5:20 a.m.

do not use bed frame. do not do not do not. Your seat is crucial to safety. If you are in an accident and your seat breaks loose, you're going to flop around a lot. And if God forbid it breaks free, you're no longer belted in.

That metal is (or rather can be) thin and weak. Go spend $20-40 on some proper steel to make the brackets out of.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP New Reader
10/6/16 6:39 a.m.

I buy most of the steel I use from aircraft spruce, all they sell is chrome moly suitable for aircraft use. The seat belt typically doesn't mount to the seat, but still you don't want the seat to break free.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/6/16 7:37 a.m.
jfryjfry wrote: do not use bed frame. do not do not do not. Your seat is crucial to safety. If you are in an accident and your seat breaks loose, you're going to flop around a lot. And if God forbid it breaks free, you're no longer belted in. That metal is (or rather can be) thin and weak. Go spend $20-40 on some proper steel to make the brackets out of.

My experience w/ bedframe angle is the opposite, that it's usually around 11 gauge and very tough.

Either way, sentiment is on point, just wanted to mention that the OP might have mentioned bed frame for exactly the reason you're saying to be careful.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/6/16 8:05 a.m.

I also would strongly advocate against the use of bedframe.

I have a welder which you can freely use but it's in Greenville SC, so it's a bit of a haul.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yy1pYeKf9WZtlGrGDKr8wNCFL401mvs3gX7XNgTXnAwxZzp5bikt4AMJOuEInVWU